Tips for relaxing shoulders when jumping

Copperpot

Visit site
I'm a naturally tense person I think, when I have had a massage the therapist commented on it.

I seem to have cracked the not looking down thing, the giving with the hands more thing and the sitting up between fences bit, but my shoulders still tense up a few strides before a jump, making my hands move about too much.

Other than thinking **relax**, what has worked for you??

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Singing helps and just remember how lucky you are. When I feel tense, I look up and out and breathe in big breaths and appreciate the fact that here I am riding a lovely horse, in lovely country, its spring, what a lovely planet etc etc and then if I am still a bit beset by the days problems I just sing a silly but lovely song. At the moment obladi oblada is in my head but I'm sure you have a happy song.

But really, it's breathing that will help overall with posture, shoulders and position. If you can relax ( but engage your core) then your horse can relax and you will be in better balance.

I know its a cliche but someone once said to me, just pretend you're a princess on your imaginary unicorn and I was surprised how well it worked!., lol!!

Copperpot

Visit site
lol my singing voice is awful! However I can't get the "I'm happy" song out of my head, so will use that. I like the Princess on the unicorn idea! Tempted to make him a horn to make it more real :)

smja

Visit site
My old RI used to put me on a lunge with a whip threaded through my elbows behind my back :)

Now, when I'm cantering before starting a round, I roll each shoulder back individually in a circle motion. This really helps to make me sit up tall as well.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh those were the days! Whip behind back threaded through your elbows, no stirrups, and no saddle! If you tensed up you were out the side door. Lol!!

I've also heard "full beam!".... basically it was stick your boobs out.

Copperpot

Visit site
I've been rolling my shoulders today, to help loosen them.

My sitting up has improved. I used to do what my OH called the Armadillo! Sort of curl into myself and be as small as possible.

Yesterday he said the Armadillo has gone into hibernation lol. Let's hope he doesn't come back.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Nick makes me approach the jump in a jockey position when I get tense. I have to stay in that position up to, over and after the yard. Nice and low but not resting the hands on the neck.

I'm more than happy to come and shout at you :biggrin3:

Copperpot

Visit site
You may have to! I didn't get shouted at once on Tuesday, so things must be improving! However when I watch the video back I can see it. So it needs to stop lol.