Tips for sleeping in my trailer

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You can get an adapter to plug into your cigarette lighter (Do people call them these these days? The power point anyway!) to turn it into an ordinary plug socket. Not sure if that's what was meant, but it is possible. On long journeys it's how I power a whole heap of stuff when someone else is driving. Yes, I am a sad bunny with a laptop and a mobile dongle!

I'm aware of that but an oil filled radiator???

Those adaptor plugs cannot produce a mains plug amount of power.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I put my mini tent up in the trailer, with my sleeping bag and camping mat. Quite cosy. The most vital things I find though, sleeping anywhere away from home are earplugs!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Instead of the tent you could try rigging a rainsheet or plastic tarp to catch the drips off the roof. Wonder if you could rig a hammock?

Take many many bungees, always useful. And much duct tape.

And boiled sausages are delicious but ONLY if really meaty. Waitrose cooking sausages are perfect. Add tinned chick peas for an excellent supper.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally I'd get a B&B! Trailer and tent sleeping is utterly horrible IMO. You freeze all night no matter if its middle of summer and you have duvets... and if you're anywhere remotely near where horses are stabled there'll be one horse who kicks the door all night...

kez81

Visit site
To heck with this sleep in the stable with the horse on the nice shavings lol

Just not if you have a Dartmoor who first tries to eat the sleeping bag and then insists on trying to get into it with you and then pees on you in the middle of the night!

WelshD

Visit site

trickivicki

Visit site
I very luckily have quite a few weekends away with the horse coming up and will be sleeping in my trailer. I can sleep, as I did do last year in my friends horse box, but as last year there will be 3 of us & one snores loud! I mean really really loud, to the point where I do not sleep all night.

I have been looking at trailers with living, but am reluctant to let go of my trusty Ifor 510.

So, am looking to set up a little sleeping area in my trailer, any tips to keep as warm & comfy as possible?

Get one of those pop-up / self shaping tents and put it inside :)

Nannon

Visit site
I have slept in mine at competitions no problem - we have a 510 too :) just shut the doors above the ramps, couple of rugs on the floor, blow up mattress, and a sleeping bag (my dad used to be an arctic explorer so we have pretty awesome sleeping bags around the house!)
Never got dripped on or got cold, and went to the burger van for breakfast :p

fawaz

Visit site
You can buy tent/camping heaters that attach onto a small gas bottle. If you put that in the trailer and leave the windows open a little you don't get condensation but stay toasty and warm.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
We've slept in our Transit van many a time (it's AWD and we do sometimes tow with it too, so could use it for away trips with horses). We're generally only away for a night so don't do anything too clever, we find that our 4'6" spare room mattress fits perfectly in the back! Normally pillows and duvet, loads of clothing (a hoody is good) and it's not too bad. We slept in it last August after a ball, it was only three degrees, very unseasonable and I was definitely underdressed!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would imagine a unit like you get installed in caravans that runs a wire to a 'hook up' power point provided by the site, this gives you mains power. Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPING-MAINS-ELECTRIC-HOOK-UP-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-CAMP-/320504415431

You can get a unit called an inverter that plus in to a cigarette lighter which will give power for less thirsty electrical items

Obviously I'm not making myself clear. I know all about every gadget you can get to provide battery power, how you can convert it and I know about mains electric on a camp site etc etc. I've camped in many ridiculous situations and tried everything once. Like trying to boil the kettle off a generator so I could pour it on the frozen quad bike ignition to get on with my first check at lambing time (it wouldn't boil it, I had to walk :D )

I am still intrigued how the poster powered an oil filled radiator while sleeping in a horse trailer as I've never been at a horse event where they could provide electric like at a camp site. Maybe she was on a campsite in a horse trailer. I still would like to know the specifics!

It's not something you could recreate at most shows I am sure.

cava14una

Visit site
If you have to park on a slope sleep with your head at the top or you can end up feeling queasy. And don't leave saddles above you!!! Have slept in a lorry wity with 2 wriggly kids above me and had a saddle kicked off rack in the middle of the night Stirrups HURT!!

WelshD

Visit site
Obviously I'm not making myself clear. I know all about every gadget you can get to provide battery power, how you can convert it and I know about mains electric on a camp site etc etc. I've camped in many ridiculous situations and tried everything once. Like trying to boil the kettle off a generator so I could pour it on the frozen quad bike ignition to get on with my first check at lambing time (it wouldn't boil it, I had to walk :D )

I am still intrigued how the poster powered an oil filled radiator while sleeping in a horse trailer as I've never been at a horse event where they could provide electric like at a camp site. Maybe she was on a campsite in a horse trailer. I still would like to know the specifics!

So many of the overnight shows I attend (to spectate) offer a hook up, some of the showing fraternity practically insist on it especially with the rules on generators that some showgrounds have . Of course spaces are limited for the hook up availability and they charge for it

I was confused to see your reply as its very common to see and I travel quite widely, perhaps its a geographical thing though?

Tnavas

Visit site

Come to the NZ HOY - there are powered sites all over the show ground. They lay cable to socket boxes, you pay a lot more for the site but worth it if it turns cold or wet, like this year with Cyclone Pam whirling around the area. We have to have a certificate of power installation to be allowed to use it though. But we all get a little cheeky early in the week of the show and borrow from friends with power. You also become very popular with the teenagers who can't be out of touch with friends. I'ts good though as this year I had to work so couldn't go and am keeping up with the results via friends there on facebook.

I take a clothes airer with me too - and make the most of any good weather to air blanket/quilts and clothes.

I also have a roll of carpet that goes down in the horse area of the truck, along with a folding table, chairs and a gas lamp - home away from home.

I also have a crazy friend who permanently lives in her horse truck - in her paddock.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
So many of the overnight shows I attend (to spectate) offer a hook up, some of the showing fraternity practically insist on it especially with the rules on generators that some showgrounds have . Of course spaces are limited for the hook up availability and they charge for it

I was confused to see your reply as its very common to see and I travel quite widely, perhaps its a geographical thing though?

Must be. You wouldn't even get hook up at the campsite for the Royal Highland Show as far as I have ever seen and that costs a fortune to be on and is rather like being on a refugee camp (you have to walk past it to get into the show ground). Lots of friends camp there and the facilities don't sound much fun!

TRECtastic

Visit site
I got a tent bedroom off freecycle , just the right size for inside a trailer & much better than small pop up tent as same height as trailer when up plus mine has a thick plastic floor attached , tie each top corner of bedroom to top corners inside trailer , get a camp bed then insulated mat then air bed then sleeping bag with big duvet over the top
Sleep in a hoody so head keeps warm & google nose warmer , my mom knitted me one :)
Thick bed socks good and a bucket with lid with shavings in as the 'en-suite'
Hot water bottle is a must as well
I put my camping chair , little table & stove in the nose of my trailer as my living room