Tips for stopping a horse jumping out the field please?

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Hi,

My husband’s 7 year old ISH has started jumping out of his field. Luckily, at the moment, he only jumps the 5 bar gates and not the fence line . He’s jumped three different gates and once he also jumped the brick wall into the garden( about 3’6”).
I’m fairly convinced he’s only doing it to get better grass.
Yesterday he jumped out of really deep mud and into our resting 4 acres.
How can I stop this happening?
We are in a rented house so not at liberty to change the fencing .Luckily the others don’t follow but they do charge about with indignation cheering up the ground.
I can’t wait to take him showjumping though !!!

Last edited:

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
You need to make staying in the field more appealing- does he get given extra forage if they're in mud?
And then Ryle need to reinforce the boundaries- double fencing can help
Yes, he has lots of hay in the field and currently is only out for a limited time as it is so trashed.

callybbi

Visit site
Just a thought... Our young horse did this when he was on a break and he was just plain bored. Jumped field to field for fun. So had to cut his break a bit short and once he was in a couple of days work a week he stopped doing it thankfully.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Unfortunately at the moment the hay isn't as exciting a fresh spring grass- haylage might be more appetising, but I wouldn't bet on it!
As mentioned above, double fencing is a good shout- could you do a line of electric fencing inside the existing fence? As it's temporary it shouldn't be a problem on rented ground.
Yes, I usually switch to haylage at this time of year but he’s not interested. We’ve only had him 6 months so not completely figured out yet what he does and doesn’t like. Obviously grass is his favourite.tried him with haylage and he’s not very keen.
I’ll rig up some electric and hope he doesn’t like spreads or bounces!

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Just a thought... Our young horse did this when he was on a break and he was just plain bored. Jumped field to field for fun. So had to cut his break a bit short and once he was in a couple of days work a week he stopped doing it thankfully.
Interesting. He lost a shoe this week and our farriers on holiday and I can’t get anyone else out. We don’t have an arena so he’s having time off and this week is the most he’s escaped!!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Long time ago I had pony who would not stay in a field. Got given tip by old farmer and it worked a treat. Take a piece of stiff leather and fasten to head collar from browband to noseband so it sticks out at the sides past the eyes, may be possible to cobble something together from a fly mask to work in a similar way .
The idea is to restrict the forward vision but not that to the side, rather like the opposite of normal blinkers. Without being able to see a line to a gate /hedge/fence he never tried to jump but could still see to graze etc.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Long time ago I had pony who would not stay in a field. Got given tip by old farmer and it worked a treat. Take a piece of stiff leather and fasten to head collar from browband to noseband so it sticks out at the sides past the eyes, may be possible to cobble something together from a fly mask to work in a similar way .
The idea is to restrict the forward vision but not that to the side, rather like the opposite of normal blinkers. Without being able to see a line to a gate /hedge/fence he never tried to jump but could still see to graze etc.
Interesting but I can see how that would work 😀

Gloi

Visit site
It's really annoying, isn't it? I'm hoping he will stop when the grass starts growing and before he teaches they others to do it too
It certainly is. I'm glad I've never had another one like that, that I had to keep retrieving from other people's land. Once he jumped a big hedge and because of the land boundaries it was a 2 mile journey through the other farm's land and down the road to bring him home.😮. once they don't realize fences are meant to keep them in it's a nightmare. The other thing he did was stand at the gate and jump it from a standstill if he saw me go in the feed room ,😂. If only he jumped as well when ridden as when loose he would have been a champion.
If you can double fence with electric though, you may solve your problems.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Clever idea. We used to have a sheep that we couldn't keep in, burrowed through the hedges. Tried tying a rail across her front. Canny devil learned to twist it round and straddle it so she could still escape.

Gloi

Visit site
Clever idea. We used to have a sheep that we couldn't keep in, burrowed through the hedges. Tried tying a rail across her front. Canny devil learned to twist it round and straddle it so she could still escape.
They are such devils when they learn tricks 🤣

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I had a forester that jumped them, climbed through them, barged through them. I did consider a cage at one point after another call from the neighbouring farm to retrieve him-again.

I sold him. (They had to switch to mains electric to keep him in!)

P.S I was going to sell him anyway, it wasn't the escaping issue that made me part with him.

Oneday

Visit site
My Hussy of a mare jumped out any time she thought there might be a stallion near, got herself in foal as a 3yr old before I bought her. When I was trying to find out how she got in foal said she jumped 2 5 bar gates to get in with colt, but they thought nothing happened. She did it several times while I owned her to get to geldings she thought were colts. When I sent her to stud, warned them of her habit, they weren't concerned until they found her parading outside one of the stallions turn out pens, with him in it. Luckily apart from this she always stayed in the field she was put in.