Tips on getting a horse to have its feet picked out please!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Apologies, I keep feeling that I'm crashing your thread BB! just wanted to report that I tried Nudibranch's method....keeping the horse's leg close into mine, and it worked really well. Filly seemed a lot more balanced (when she'd finished peering round me to try and see what I was doing) and obviously felt more secure. Cheers!

BeachBreaker

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the advice everybody, all really helpful and I have tried a few things that have been suggested. I managed to crack his front feet about a week ago now as I said before. I managed to do that bit on my own and he had lots of carrot chunks which worked a treat. Feet looked great which took a bit of the pressure off about the hinds. So back legs...he was till being very violent. I got my OH to hold him and feed him but it just wasn't working. He didn't seem to respond to the food as well as he did for the fronts and actually it was very hard to reward him for anything because he just kept thrashing out. So I completely changed my approach. For the last few days whenever I have seen him resting a hind leg I have gone at the hoof with a pick. No picking up of the foot or even touching the leg at all. Just getting under the hoof so that he almost started to understand the aim on the game. I was also able to do this whilst he was tied up and without any treats, just lots of verbal praise and patting. Tonight, I got my SillySausage to hold him while I did his fronts (he's now completely back to normal) and then thought I'd just have a got at his backs not expecting too much. There was a bit of reluctance to begin with but no kicking out more waving around. Anyway, I was totally shocked when he picked the first one up! I had to cling on for a while as he couldn't decide if he wanted to keep it there but a bit of brute strength did the trick and he finally let me pick them both out! He didn't even pull away, although still a little unsure, he let me place them back down gently. Needless to say, lots of treats and cuddles. I was a very proud mother. I think the thing that he needed most was a bit of time and patience on my part to a) get over the whole vets ordeal and b) figure out what I was actually trying to do. I know my boy, and he has to decide that he wants to do something otherwise it's like arguing with a toddler! It just shows that what might work for one leg won't work for another. But seriously, thank you so much for all the tips, much appreciated...o, and his feet look fab!

Gala...somehow I managed to avoid contracting any injuries what so ever! It must be a miracle. How are things coming along with yours?

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Do what I do with my yearling,haynet and carrots(lots of them) stuck through the mesh with one end hanging out,so they can take a carrot when ever they want, I've been able to teach him to tie up, be groomed and have his feet picked out with very little trouble and the carrot count is coming down, it does work, just make something that stresses them out, enjoyable for them and you.