Tips on keeping Imprint shoes on??

dancingkris

Visit site
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas - my 5 year old TB was a victim of neglect and the main things to suffer were his hooves. A year down the line and he's currently got Imprint shoes on to try and grow some foot, but I'm terrified of him losing them as the field is now starting to become muddy. He was shod again last Wednesday but by Friday had lost one, so has been on box rest until my farrier could come today to replace it as I didn't want to risk him out and wrecking his feet even more. He's climbing the walls being on box rest so its not really an option to keep him in and obviously there is a huge cost to replace every time he loses one, so I'm trying to do a damage limitation exercise to see if anyone can recommend anything to help them stay on? I did think about purchasing some hoof boots for him to go on top - but then am not sure whether the action of pulling them on and off would cause more harm to the glue on shoes??

All recommendations welcome!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas - my 5 year old TB was a victim of neglect and the main things to suffer were his hooves. A year down the line and he's currently got Imprint shoes on to try and grow some foot, but I'm terrified of him losing them as the field is now starting to become muddy. He was shod again last Wednesday but by Friday had lost one, so has been on box rest until my farrier could come today to replace it as I didn't want to risk him out and wrecking his feet even more. He's climbing the walls being on box rest so its not really an option to keep him in and obviously there is a huge cost to replace every time he loses one, so I'm trying to do a damage limitation exercise to see if anyone can recommend anything to help them stay on? I did think about purchasing some hoof boots for him to go on top - but then am not sure whether the action of pulling them on and off would cause more harm to the glue on shoes??

I think the key is how well the farrier puts them on in the first place. They should work in a clean dry area. The hoof must be prepared by correct trimming and then 6 grooves dremmled into the hoof. The glue is better when put on the hoof. Extra plastic/silicone must be used (little balls that are put into the hot water) to fill in any gaps. Then when shoe is fitted it must be held up for around 5 minutes until the glue has fully set. Extra glue put around the top and then filed down to prevent any bits jutting out that can catch on things. My mare had hers fitted 5 weeks ago and is in a muddy field 24/7 as well as being lightly ridden. They have stayed on. :)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I would question how well they're being applied - my horse has had a set of Imprints every five weeks since about April and hasn't lost a single one.

Oberon

Visit site

I know you are asking about Imprints but the above sentence has given me leeway :D

How about we look at how to improve his hoof health overall?

Start with listing his diet in total and try to get some pics of his hooves so we know what we're dealing with (side and front views at ground level and sole view)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I'm another who will say , look into barefoot, my horses hoofs are improving no end since I altered diet and took shoes off. It really can work :)