Tips on nervous pony with farrier

Groom Mum

Visit site
Ok I have asked about this in a different post. But can anyone give me some advice on how to make my very nervous pony's farrier visit as easy as possible. He barely lets me go near his feet, although I've been picking them daily since I got him late last year. He also isn't keen on men much either. The vet gave me some liquid sedative but I'm reluctant to give him it as I've never had to give it to any of my horses before and I'm not too confident about it. Should I try without and see how he goes? If I do give him the sedative will I need to stay with him till it wears off? Should I still feed him his breakfast before the sedative ? To be honest I'm dreading this as I have to bring him out on hard standing concrete. I think he is going to kick off. Any advice from anyone with a horse who hates the farrier !! He's not being shod. Just trimmed.

madlady

Visit site
Does your farrier know that your pony is nervous? I think in your situation I'd have a good chat with the farrier first and maybe aim for the farrier just picking his feet up on this first visit and basically letting the pony get used to him with no other expectation than that.

If he is really that nervous then you stressing is only going to make him worse and expecting to get all his feet trimmed first time is perhaps setting you both up to fail. If he really does freak out then you may need to look at sedation for future visits but I'd personally try to make the first visit as easy as possible.

Morgan123

Visit site
I also have a horse who is difficult wiht the farrier, so maybe my experiences can help....First and foremost I definitely agree with MAdlady that you should speak to your farrier.

It sounds like you have quite a major issue that needs working on, beyond just the farrier - given that he barely lets you go near his feet. This is worth considering - do you think you're being anxious/nervous about feet picking? If yes, then I'd chat to the farrier but see how it goes; the farrier will (hopefully!) be confident anyway so may inspire confidence in your pony.

If you think you're being confident and this is a wider issue with your pony's fear, I'd try clicker training - this made a MASSIVE difference to my horse with his feet; it gave him a reason to be good! It can do wonders with specific fears like this. And I'd do a hell of a lot of it before having the farrier.

If you do need the farrier now and therefore can't do more work on his feet-picking beforehand, then yes I'd use the sedative.

I'm assuming the vet has given you something along the lines of sedalin? If so, great - don't be afraid of it, it's really helpful. However you should be aware that it takes about 45 mins to work, and it will work better on an emptier stomach - not saying you should starve him or keep him in, but equally if what you feed him is a big feed, then I wouldn't do that before giving the sedalin. If you do give the sedalin, it can help to have a little trot up just before you need them to be calm for the farrier, as it gets the sedalin 'whizzing around their system' in the words of my vet.

Morgan123

Visit site
p.s. I'd do all this practising in the same area that the farrier will see him in, i.e. on the concrete. Otherwise he will see this as a whole new stressy place.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
If he's nervous about you picking his feet up I'd give him the sedative, depending on what your vet had given you will depend on if you have to stay with him and withhold food and water, so best to ask the vet.

My farrier was fab with my nervous youngster, he worked on picking her feet up and then putting them straigh back down a few times so she knew she would always get her feet back :D, and was generally very patient with her. I've also found holding her in the middle of the yard is better as she doesn't feel penned in.

Why is he nervous about his feet? If you can get him more confident in general about his feet being handled it will make life easier, Skylla is still a little nervous but being calm and consistant is getting her much more confident :).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our then 3 yr old had a foot injury which needed the vet to cut away some hoof under sedation. This made her very nervous about her feet. Clicker training was really good for her for daily picking up and cleaning. However our farrier also made time to call in and work on making her comfortable while he worked on her feet. Needless to say, we paid for his time. Really it just needs a confident handler and unhurried practice.

spookypony

Visit site
I agree with the others: clicker training (if you know what you're doing or can get some help) or a similar approach might really help; it's great for building confidence. Also, getting the farrier onside and prepared is a good idea, as others have suggested. Are there any female farriers/trimmers in your area? In the short term, that might be useful.

Groom Mum

Visit site
He's nervous because he was a rescue pony and we think was badly treated by a man. He doesn't like men much at all.
He's been on and off the concrete area and he's not bothered by it. The rescue centre inspector is coming to help me on the day. I think i am getting worried as i have to wash his feet down as they are covered in mud, and i haven't washed them all winter as there is no point as we are under a foot of thick sticky mud. I have sedalin to use, but i am trying to avoid it. Even if it means a wasted/paid first visit from the farrier. The rescue centre told me today that he only had to be sedated on his first ever visit as he had just come off of the farm where he was badly treated and was very wary. After that he hasn't had sedative, so we may be lucky, as he seems very happy and pretty calm with me. So i will wash his feet before the farrier comes and hope for the best. He always lets me pick his feet, he's been really good. Then we have teeth next month , oh Lordy !! that's another post !!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
There is nothing to the sedative, they do not fall over!
I got my farrier to give me his dirtiest wooly jumper, and this went in to the stable at feed times, and he got a nice rub on the face with it along with an apple.
Also pony was stood with others while they were shod.
One farrier decided he would shoe in the stable ....... that was not a success ........ that farrier never came back, he was more nervous than pony, though that was after the kick!
I would get men to give him a rub on the face etc, its something most will get over, but you must be calm and confident.
Not essential to wash legs tbh, just rub with lots of old towels etc.

Last edited:

Morgan123

Visit site
Groomsmum - everything you need to do on the day (including foot washing and standing on concrete) you should practice. The less you do so, the more likely it is that you'll have problems on the day. It's great that you've got some help on the day, but if you don't practice these sorts of things, then your nervous pony is going to be stressed by all the new stuff.

Try just for a few days before, bringing him on to the conrete, washing maybe one or two feet, giving him a carrot, and putting him back out. You can't really have a nervous horse without being willing to put in a LOT of time to practice things step by step.

Groom Mum

Visit site
Groomsmum - everything you need to do on the day (including foot washing and standing on concrete) you should practice. The less you do so, the more likely it is that you'll have problems on the day. It's great that you've got some help on the day, but if you don't practice these sorts of things, then your nervous pony is going to be stressed by all the new stuff.

Try just for a few days before, bringing him on to the conrete, washing maybe one or two feet, giving him a carrot, and putting him back out. You can't really have a nervous horse without being willing to put in a LOT of time to practice things step by step.

He has had his feet trimmed before , around three times. The first time he was sedated, then after that he wasn't. today he let me pick up his feet and rub all up them too. he was having his dinner though ! tomorrow i will pick his feet again im going to take a towel to the field and rub his legs too.I can then only hope, as it's now getting close, that he will be ok. If not then I will keep practicing with him and get the farrier out as many times as it takes. He has to have these feet trimmed so we have to just get on with it.

flirtygerty

Visit site
my youngster was also scared of men and having his feet done, resulting in him kicking the farrier, not acceptable, I spent every spare minute picking a foot up, even in the field, giving a treat per foot, hinds were worse, gradually reducing the treats till he got one after all feet were done, I now say 'foot' and he picks his foot up, I also had hubby, grandson and his male friend groom/walk him out and ride, he's now fine with men, this pony is food oriented so treats work short term, I don't normally treat, just give them a scratch but this method works for this boy

Groom Mum

Visit site
I'm getting really nervous about the farrier tomorrow, i will admit ive lost sleep over this. It's silly I know because they both might surprise me and be as good as gold. Ive been rubbing their feet with a cloth and picking their hooves and lifting their feet up. I can't really do anymore at this point. So all i can do is hope for the best. Any last min tips would be appreciated.

Morgan123

Visit site
If you've done loads of prep, and as you've said above they are 'fine' when you pick their feet up generally, and you also have the welfare person from the sanctuary coming to help, and you've discussed it with the farrier so he knows what to expect....I am not sure why you're losing sleep over it?? Worst case scenario he comes out, gives your pony some carrots, picks their feet up and leaves it at that and you rebook him again. The sanctuary person can help you. Just remember the calmer you are, the calmer your pony will be - have a last practice tonight on the concrete so you know you've done all you can - perhaps holding the pony's feet up for a little longer than usual, giving lots of praise when good, etc etc.
Maybe try some rescue remedy! for you and the horse ;-)

Groom Mum

Visit site
Yay. It's done. ( till next time) my youngster was a little bit jumpy at first but soon settled down and was fine. My older one was very wary. But he very reluctantly let the farrier do three feet and on the fourth foot he decided he wasn't having anymore of it. He did some backing up and half heartedly reared up a bit. But due to this fabulous patient gentle and kind farrier we managed to get the last foot done. So now they are both neat and tidy. He said their feet were lovely. Which shocked me considering they are in sludgy mud most of the time. So now I'm happy !

Last edited:

Groom Mum

Visit site
Oh he's definitely a keeper. He was so patient. When my older boy was getting nervous he would stop and just talk to him and soothe him. I've never seen a farrier as patient and kind. It was a weight off my mind. 2 mins Later I turned them out and they pranced around like nothing had happened.

Last edited: