Tips to get a horse more forward :)

timbobs

Visit site
I love my boy with all my heart, but he is a bit lazy!

He's been out of work for about a month now due to a few different things including a horrible abscess but his shoe is going back on this week so I wanted to start as I mean to go on!

I definitely nag with my leg and so need to get out of this which is something I am working on with my instructor.

I'm looking for some tips to get him working more forward without me needing to get after him all the time to maintain the pace, but also so that he responds when I ask rather than after I've asked a few times.

I know it's my fault for nagging so some advice would be great!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
start with walk and get the walk active don't let him slob along, then ask for trot with a very soft leg aid if no response use a sharp kick if still nothing use a quick sharp whip aid behind your leg, you almost want the horse to jump into trot, when he does sit still no leg and let him go forward if he tries to slow down use the same process, then do lots of walk to trot u til he goes off the first light aid, when his listening in trot you can then do the same thing in trot to canter, if you follow this every time you school you should in time end up with a horse that moves from a light leg aid it only takes ten minutes at the start to get them listening, if you have a habit of nagging count to ten in between each leg aid and make sure you get a forward reaction when you do and he will soon learn to go off one aid and you will not be so tired from using your leg constantly.

PorkChop

Visit site
We have found the best way is to go out and do fun stuff in company - beach, pairs hunter trials, hunting etc.

Also get him as fit as you can, I realise he is just coming back into proper work, but that is what I would be aiming to do :)

timbobs

Visit site
We have found the best way is to go out and do fun stuff in company - beach, pairs hunter trials, hunting etc.

Also get him as fit as you can, I realise he is just coming back into proper work, but that is what I would be aiming to do :)

I've just got a horsebox so hopefully soon we can get out and about for fun things!

We don't really jump (I'm a wuss!) but would love to do things like go to the beach etc. All our hacking is roadwork so am hoping with the box I can get out to do more hacking.

timbobs

Visit site
start with walk and get the walk active don't let him slob along, then ask for trot with a very soft leg aid if no response use a sharp kick if still nothing use a quick sharp whip aid behind your leg, you almost want the horse to jump into trot, when he does sit still no leg and let him go forward if he tries to slow down use the same process, then do lots of walk to trot u til he goes off the first light aid, when his listening in trot you can then do the same thing in trot to canter, if you follow this every time you school you should in time end up with a horse that moves from a light leg aid it only takes ten minutes at the start to get them listening, if you have a habit of nagging count to ten in between each leg aid and make sure you get a forward reaction when you do and he will soon learn to go off one aid and you will not be so tired from using your leg constantly.

Thanks for the ideas- will give this a go and see how we get on!

paddi22

Visit site
def fun stuff, get out of the school and get him on beaches, fun rides, hacking, anything where he is thinking forward..

khalino

Visit site

This is perfect, pretty much what I was going to say.
Half-halts are also a great way to get them listening; I have a horse that can become a little stiff and wooden if he gets bored, so I spent a good two or so months on half-halts and just improving my position in the saddle and now; even in the school he's forward and i just have to stroke his sides and he's in trot.

Good luck, friendo.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Definitely start meaning business when you ride him. As one poster said, make him walk with energy from the moment you move off.

My chap can be quite backwards in the school. I find throwing in lots of different movements help keep his interest. Lots of transitions, canter figure of eights, lateral work too. Pole work can brighten up schooling sessions too.

I also found my own attitude affected how my boy went too. Because flatwork isn't my favourite thing I'd merely go through the motions without much enthusiasm. Then I started doing some dressage comps and the desire to do well has made me more focused in flatwork sessions. This seems to have translated through to Sam who also seems to be enjoying schooling more now and he's so much more forward and off my leg than he used to be.

Hopefully, you'll get the results you want. Good luck with it :)