Tips to get rid of weeds in arena

Shazzababs

Visit site
Does anyone have any good tips for preventing (and getting rid of) weeds in arenas.

Mine is a sand and rubber crumb surface, and in previous years I have got rid of the odd weeds that have come up by pulling them up, spraying and then harrowing regularly.

However this year iots driving me crazy, the weeds that come up (mainly grass and some annual thing) die when I spray them, but 4 days later another load pop up in their place. There's too many to pull up by hand. Harrowing just seams to spread them....

We are planning to 'fill in' the post and rail with boards this winter, which I am hoping will stop most of the wind blown seeds, but I'd really like some tips if anyone has them.

Digger123

Visit site
Need to make sure the weedkiller you use is the right type
Glyphosphate is a systemic and tends to kill down to the roots
What you need is one that kills 'pre-emergent' seedlings. Basically the ones which are tiny and just sprouting.As to whether you can buy this chemical over the counter I don't know.
With some chemicals you have to have a licence to spray due to COSHH,LERAP regulations and the fact they are dangerous if you don't know what you are doing!!

TURBOBERT

Visit site
It's the corners that are worst I find. The harrow won't go right in! I use Clinic - rather like Pathclear I think - anyway not selective! Once they are dead I rake them out. Tiresom job though!

Shazzababs

Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, I will try using Clinic or Roundup rather than Glycophosphate.

Turbobert - Yes the corners are the worst, thinking of buying the kit to put my leveler on the 3 point linkage of the tractor so I can get right in their easier.

Gingerbear

Visit site
Bit belated, but just to let you know that Roundup would probably do it but also we always go to our local agricultural merchant (with offending weed, etc. in hand) and ask them what to use and they are always brilliant.