Tips to help new pony settle

R_Owen

Visit site
As in the title really.

We've been lucky in the past and our horses and ponies have seemed to settle straight away.

My sister had a new pony, only yesterday and he seems unsettled, he was even rearing in the stable this morning. Its understandable hes been though a lot, plus we had thunder and hail this morning which wont have helped.

Any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

wills_91

Visit site
Routine and time :). I moved my horse this week she has been total nightmare we are on day 5 and she's still being unreasonable about most things!

Alec Swan

Visit site
Routine and time :). I moved my horse this week she has been total nightmare we are on day 5 and she's still being unreasonable about most things!

Yours is a girl. Boys tend to be a bit more amenable and accepting of change, I've found! :)

Also and as Pearl says, if other equine company isn't available and close to hand, that won't help.

Alec.

SarahWeston

Visit site
I'd get him out and about for a walk and do some groundwork so that he knows what the ground rules are and how you operate. Don;t change his food or routine too rapidly so plenty of turn out if that is what he is used to.

paddi22

Visit site
Sometimes I get in some freaked, tense ones look like working straight away would overload them. They just find the pressure of new handling, new situation and new work too much. For those ones, I just throw them out in the field 24/7 till they run out their stress. Usually after a few days that start to engage and then its much easier to get them on side by finding the favourite scratch places etc. Then you can get them onboard to work much easier cause you have their trust.