Tips To Improve Downwards Transitions - Canter to Trot

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Jacobs schooling is coming along really nicely, but I could do with some tips or things I can try to improve his downwards transitions please.

Canter to trot is the trickiest one, where it can often take us a whole (if not more) 20m circle between when I start to ask and when he drops down a pace. I have the half halts in there to slow down the canter to prepare for the transition but can't seem to then get the movement into trot if that makes any sense? He just gets more and more collected in the canter.

I know he has the answer, it's just a case of me not asking the question properly.

Wheels

Visit site
Is he heavy on the forehand? A few things that you can try,

Half halt and straight away start thinking the trot rhythm in your head

If that doesnt work then instead of thinking trot, think walk instead - try for a walk transition and you might get trot :)

From your 20m circle move onto a smaller circle but do it gently, continue with your half halts, continue thinking trot or walk and come onto a much smaller circle, small enough to make him break to trot or walk

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if he is not being given an aid he really understands, the half halt should not be slowing the canter before a transition, unless the canter is too fast, it should be saying 'are you listening? ' then when he says yes you ask for trot, by giving him an aid to slow he is collecting, or shortening, depending on his stage of training and the half halt is not doing what it should, try riding a bit more forward, giving a clear half halt and without slowing the canter ask clearly for trot, I suspect he thinks he is doing what you want and just requires a little more clarity and forwardness through the transition.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
He can be heavy on the forehand in canter, but not in the other paces so much. To slow him was the wrong word, I am using the half halt in conjunction with my leg to keep the back end active but to pick up the front - otherwise he can fall onto the forehand and end up barelling around too fast. I use a couple in quick succession just before I would like the transition to happen so we don't crash out of canter into the trot. This has helped the quality of the transition when it does happen, it's just that we are still having a conversation about when!

Riding more forward into the transition is definitely something I'll try! As is the circle exercise mentioned in post #1. Thank you!

Just to say - I do have an instructor, but they can't come out at the moment of course.