Tips to improve my trot to canter transitions

Bec26

Visit site
Does anyone have any tips to help me make better trot to canter transitions. I've watched videos of my dressage tests and I tilt my upper body forward - once in canter I'm fine and downwards transitions are fine. I don't do it in walk to canter.

humblepie

Visit site
I find walk to canter definitely I sit better than in trot to canter, so perhaps just try to get the same feel. I have been really thinking every transition to lean back (which means in my case slightly less forward than normal rather than upright or back!). Look forward to more constructive replies from more knowledgeable people.

Bec26

Visit site
I find walk to canter definitely I sit better than in trot to canter, so perhaps just try to get the same feel. I have been really thinking every transition to lean back (which means in my case slightly less forward than normal rather than upright or back!). Look forward to more constructive replies from more knowledgeable people.

Someone recommended looking back over my outside shoulder when asking for the transition which has helped but would look a bit silly at a competition!

JillA

Visit site
Usually it's because you have to ask quite strongly and horse doesn't strike off at the merest hint (maybe balance, maybe training). Walk to canter improves both until at trot almost the merest thought gets the transition. And think about lifting the forehand into canter, that should stop you weighting the forehand by leaning forward