Tired horses XC

icestationzebra

Visit site
This seems to be a topic much discussed recently and I was wondering what people's views were on the reasons we seem to have seen more tired horses recently.

In the days of long format I don't recall there being horses looking so tired towards the end of the course, but of course we didn't have online videos to watch or forums on which to discuss, so perhaps I wasn't so aware. Assuming that we are seeing more tired horses now, is it because the horses were fitter on the 'old days' having a steeplechase and roads and tracks to negotiate before the XC? The horses were often full TBs which I think most people would agree have a naturally high stamina level. Are today's more technical and twisty courses more energy sapping?

I would assume that professional riders these days have access to so much more information and expert resources regarding fitness, nutrition, physio, farriery, saddlery etc etc so no excuses for not having horses fit and well and ready for the job? Are riders now under more pressure to deliver results for owners/sponsors and as a result 'press on' when perhaps what they should be doing is putting their hand up and retiring? A great example is Francis Whittington at Badminton this year putting his hand up when he was in such a great position on the leaderboard. Are riders getting so caught up in adrenaline or attempts to impress selectors/please owners that the horse is compromised. There was a yellow card (or Verbal Warning possibly?) for a rider at Badminton for abuse of whip - essentially driving on a tired horse which should have been pulled up. Ironically when interviewed the rider said that he just gave the horse a squeeze and he responded well - when it was clear to everyone spectating (including the FEI) that this was not the case. Riders surely have to accept they are under far more scrutiny now with video footage available on the internet?

Not really sure where I am going with this, but I'm interested to hear others views. There was some questionable riding/decision making at both WEG and Burghley and I think this issue does need to be addressed to protect the public image of the sport.

Views?

paisley

Visit site
I think the old format helped in that horses had a proper warm up from roads and tracks/steeplechase which isn't very easy to replicate now (like XC schooling isn't really the same as doing it 'live').

But the courses are now so much more technical, with more muscle effort required for accuracy/bounce questions that tire them if they are not easily adjusted out of a good galloping stride. Less straight forward galloping where it is possible to catch your second wind. There is also the argument that although the old three day put more wear and tear on horses, they didn't compete as much as some do presently.

I would also argue that horses compete at top level at a younger age, where the years of fitness and muscle memory are not the same as an older horse. I could guarantee that the novices in their second year of competing were fitter far more quickly after a winter break compared to when they first started.

MagicMelon

Visit site
But the courses are now so much more technical, with more muscle effort required for accuracy/bounce questions that tire them if they are not easily adjusted out of a good galloping stride. Less straight forward galloping where it is possible to catch your second wind.

This is what I think has a lot to do with it. Having to collect so much definately must take it out of the horses and there's more individual tiring fences like drops whereas before there was maybe just one big one on course?

icestationzebra

Visit site
The more technical the courses the more questions we are asking of the horses. In the old days perhaps it was just fitness and bravery that got horses round but now they are being asked more so surely this must create a mental tiredness too?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Is there any correlation between those with tired horses being those competitors who are too young to have competed in the long format?

Surely the old school people probably keep their fittening programmes the same as before with long format ?

paisley

Visit site
Ooooh. I do miss the long format so much...

I am a little nostalgic for it, but I really, really don't miss the days of weight cloths, and lugging squillions of tons of kit for each phase of XC. Unless you were Mr Nicholson's groom who at one Burghley for the steeplechase was allowed to bring only the spare shoes and told to 'borrow someone else's' if anything went wrong!

popsdosh

Visit site
The type of horse in my opinion has a huge influence on what you are seeing as today there is a higher percentage of warmblood breeding and they tend to go on and then switch off like a lightbulb. For example Lionheart at the olympics when we all know WFP knows how to get a horse fit. Also to a certain extent the courses are being measured more tightly so you really have to push to get anywhere near the time.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It's been an interesting year this year for eventing, hasn't it!

The one person that has stood out in my opinion this year is Tina Cook with De Novo News. He doesn't seem the lightest TB type, yet has seemed to cope so well generally. It made me wonder if her experience with the racing industry and fittening has made her a better judge than perhaps some others?

Ps, just re read the above post, and forgive me if waffling, I've been up since 3am, but didn't Lionheart have some medical issues at London?

Luci07

Visit site
I am on a small professional event yard. The horse that the YO finds it easiest to keep event fit and keeps it is the pure TB. She has other different WB x TB crosses and has to work twice as hard to get them to the same level of fitness. A new youngster on the yard (ISH ...ID x TB) is coping well as he is naturally light on his feet as well which makes such a difference. I think we need to keep reviewing the current trend of WB x as I now wonder if we are effectively shortening the working life of some of these horses as they have to do more to achieve the same. However, there are some event riders (WFP was mentioned) and you know his horses are rally well prepared. There are others who I can't bear to watch as regardless of what breed they are riding, their horses always seem to run out of steam towards the end of the course. The new format places a higher emphasis on dressage and Showjumping of course but time will tell when breeding and training will really have caught up with the required format.

Darremi

Visit site
I think one of the issues is that XC courses have changed. We are now seeing far more jumping efforts within a shorter distance. So the horses don't get any time to catch a breather between fences.

I remember watching the old videos of badminton and burghley and there were long galloping stretches between the fences and times were up near 13 mins. Now 10-11 mins is standard for a three and four star.