To All Freelance Riding Instructors... Start Up Questions

CobLogic

Visit site
Hi, I am attempting to set myself up as a freelance riding instructor alongside my day job - just light hearted really and mostly as I have been asked to provide lessons and I want to justify charging accordingly. I am not qualified - just experience based and not looking to make this my full time career. I will purchase insurance, but my questions are these...

1. Do I need to register as a business?
2. If yes - would I be a sole trader?
3. If driving to others sites - I assume I would need to register my car for business use?

I have searched the internet but found myself more confused. Any help anyone can give, gratefully received.

Thank you

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
As you won't be paying PAYE income tax/NI through an employer, you'll need to complete a self assessment tax return to declare any income. You would be a sole trader, as opposed to a partnership/limited company. You could introduce your car as a business related asset and only claim a certain proportion of expenses towards the car (e.g you spend £1000 on the car in the year but estimate that 80% is personal so you'd only claim £200 of car expenses against the income), or you could claim mileage expenses for the journeys taken to instruct (keep a log) which may be easier if its only a small amount of travel. Hope that helps, not a freelance instructor, work in accountancy!

Kylara

Visit site
Car related I count the mileage rather than business use as is technically commuting to place of work. Insurance is a must. And you just need to fill out a self assessment tax return, yes to sole trader.

CobLogic

Visit site
Thanks both, that's really helpful! Another question... do I need to make my current employer aware if I am starting a business - it will not effect my working hours as the instruction would take place on a weekend only. I really appreciate your advice :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
As you are not qualified you might well struggle to get any insurance cover, and it would be very foolish to attempt to teach without any cover in place.

1st aid training, you really ought to get at least a basic 1st aid course under your belt.
All qualified instructors on registers have to be 1st aid trained and crb checked too.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, yest you have to register with the tax office, and then do an end of year tax return. Yes you need business insurance for your car, as most travelling to a place of work polices would not cover this, as they are for a usual place of work, not places of work dotted all over.

I am now not sure about NI, as I also had a day job I opted out by having an exemption certificate, but I believe these have been made defunct now. I would call your tax office.

I just claim for mileage at 40p a mile (I think), as that is simpler than totting up all car costs.

As for your employer, with two employers I have had they needed it in writing to know what I was doing, to make sure there was no conflict of interests. That was not a 'legal' requirement though, it was just company policy. So, I would ask your company.

Try Julie Andrews Horse Insurance for insurance cover, she was covering non qualified people, at least to a couple of years ago. I am another who would not teach without insurance.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
You do not need qualifications to get insurance.

.... but it will be a lot more expensive and not all insurance companies will take you on.

Not wishing to put a dampener on things, but by the time you have taken all your costs into account, you'll most likely be running at a loss if you are only doing a few hours on the weekends.

CobLogic

Visit site
Hi, a delayed follow up 'Thank You' to everyone for your advice! I've taken it all on board and have decided to trial for a year, and aim to just cover costs - at least I'll be insured and I've registered so all above board :)
My next question would be where to advertise? In addition to those I already plan to teach - to make up the hours and hopefully cover costs. I know everything is online now and word of mouth is best, but would business cards in the local tack shops be worthwhile? Do people look at those boards when trying to find an instructor? Thanks again - I really appreciate your advice.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Of course cards and adverts in local tack/feed shops are a good idea. At least they are there all the time. Word of mouth, people feeling that they are making progress and their horse and their riding is improving.

The best advertisement is your pupils winning competitions. I knew one person who started teaching a local Pony Club girl, who soon started winning PC and showing and the poor lady was inundated with requests to instruct. She was good too, as I had lessons from her. In fact I would say that she was the first person to introduce me to correct riding and equitation rather than stick on and kick, which was my previous method.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Hi, a delayed follow up 'Thank You' to everyone for your advice! I've taken it all on board and have decided to trial for a year, and aim to just cover costs - at least I'll be insured and I've registered so all above board :)
My next question would be where to advertise? In addition to those I already plan to teach - to make up the hours and hopefully cover costs. I know everything is online now and word of mouth is best, but would business cards in the local tack shops be worthwhile? Do people look at those boards when trying to find an instructor? Thanks again - I really appreciate your advice.

Personally myself I find instructors through word of mouth or social media only, social media being important as in local equestrian groups people will happily flag up good instructors and give personal experiences/opinions which I find influences my decision

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Did you get your insurance sorted. SEIB is a good starting place, there is a discount for qualified freelance instructors but insuring as an unqualified freelance is not that expensive.

Social media is probably the most effective way of advertising. Your existing clients are bound to join in and say how wonderful you are!

CobLogic

Visit site
Did you get your insurance sorted.

Hey I did thank you. I am a member of British Dressage so went with Shearwater (although I don't think it made too much difference in the end). I'm limited to 10 hours a week, which should be more than enough anyway just for a Saturday lol.

I totally agree with everyone that word of mouth is best although those I teach at the moment are less about comps and more about improving the general way of going for both horse and rider and gaining confidence. I've got some business cards for the yard, so will start with those and see what happens... :) Hopefully they will pass them on. Thank you!!