TO ALL PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT THE RSPCA, I HAVE AN IDEA PLEASE HELP.

Visit site
Peaple i have an idea but i need lots of help.

I want to do something to raise money for the RSPCA, so i want to put on a local show, with horses, dogs, childrens games and anything else you can think of? It will be held (if i get the go ahead from the local council) in mid wales in a small town called knighton. this will only be possible with fees from entries, donations and sponsers e.t.c
so if you live in this area please comment and let me know if you would come and support the amazing centre that help all sorts of animals and give them a better life. I am only a young girl who spends all her money just to have a horse so i am no hi fi business women with lots of money to put into this show but i know that you animal lovers and owners would do anything to help these poor animals, so lets do it, lets pull together and make a difference.

Lots of feed back is needed so i know there are people that will help me :D

Morgan123

Visit site
Good for you :) Unfortunately I can;'t help cos i'm miles away but if you need ideas for classes and things do get in contact, good luck!! I'm sure it would be v popular, there are fewer and fewer good outdoor summer shows these days!

POLLDARK

Visit site
It would really put me off going to any event in such a cause. I don't support any political organisation, certainly not one that uses a charitable status to pursue political ends.

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't give the RSPCA any more money. I did I'n my niave days but not now I see them operating I'n the ways they do. It's just my opinion but for me there are far more active charities doing good work.

lilyoftheincas

Visit site
I love your idea but perhaps the money should go towards a smaller, more local animal charity that needs the money more? Don't know about you but I think that the RSPCA have quite a lot of money already :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It would really put me off going to any event in such a cause. I don't support any political organisation, certainly not one that uses a charitable status to pursue political ends.

Agree, most people don't realise the RSPCA supports the Labour Party.

Capriole

Visit site
I'll bash the RSPCA quite happily till the cows come home, ta :) Speaking from personal experience and all...chocolate fireguard

Copperpot

Visit site
I do not like the RSPCA but I think it's lovely that the OP wants to do something to help animals :) Lots of people wouldn't go to the effort of doing so.

mle22

Visit site
No problem - maybe it's different here in NI but the USPCA do a really good job in all kinds of areas of animal welfare such as badger baiting, illegal dog fights etc and I'm very glad they exist

Dave282B

Visit site
My problem with the RSPCA Is that the grass routes branch's are great but the top brass use the good will of the public for political aims making mugs of the man in the street

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
As soon as I read the OP I knew this was going to turn into a bash the RSPA thread!

I don't think it's so much turning it into an RSPCA bashing thread but rather people being honest in that they wouldn't support such an event if that's where the money was going - in fairness the OP is trying to gaugue what support there would be. Sadly many of us have had negative experiences in dealings with the RSPCA and unfortunately the amount of bad press rather overshadows any good they might be doing.

Hopefully people local to the OP may be aware of the local shelter and want to offer support if it's one of the better ones. I think to take on a show will be quite an undertaking - good luck :)

MrsElle

Visit site
We had someone knocking on the door raising money for the RSPCA, he asked if we had pets, I asked him in.......

My guess is he wished he had never stepped over the threshold after the grilling he got :D :D :D

There are a lot of smaller local charities who would be so gratefull for any funds raised OP, perhaps raise money for those instead, you might get more interest from local people if they think the money is going to a local charity :)

mle22

Visit site
Well maybe it comes down to personal experience. In NI they take on some very frightening people that no one else would dare to challenge - I have a lot of respect for what they do and just worry when people are always posting negatively about them. If they didn't do the job who would? Even if they don't always get it completely right I still think it's a worthy cause. Or maybe it's different in England?

Moomin1

Visit site
Well maybe it comes down to personal experience. In NI they take on some very frightening people that no one else would dare to challenge - I have a lot of respect for what they do and just worry when people are always posting negatively about them. If they didn't do the job who would? Even if they don't always get it completely right I still think it's a worthy cause. Or maybe it's different in England?

It is very similar for the front line staff of the RSPCA over in the UK. They have a difficult and sometimes very dangerous job, and yet they get a terrible slating from some people. They do an awful lot of good work, but unfortunately because the RSPCA are very much at the forefront of the 'charity publicity' as they are the ones who do the prosecutions, then they quite often get a bad name because of the law or because a magistrate has made a poor judgement which enrages the public and see it as a failing on behalf of the RSPCA. People also seem to forget that the RSPCA is not funded in any way by the government and relies solely on public funding. Yes, they have been succesful in the past which is a good thing because this is what has enabled cases such as the Spindles Farm one to take place, but with the recent climate this is not now necessarily the case unless donations and legacies continue to be brought in.

I really hope people who write such derogatory things about the RSPCA staff realise how frustrating and upsetting it would be if one of those officers were to read it. They work extremely hard and can only do as much as the law, police and vets allow.

springtime13

Visit site
I wouldn't support the RSPCA because they spent an arm and a leg on full colour broad sheet ads denoucing hunting. They could have saved a lot of dogs and cats etc with that money. I'd always support a local animal sanctuary, EMW or the Brooke. IMO they deserve it more, and need it more.

Andiamo

Visit site
Hey OP, if you were any closer, I'd come and get involved, and would be happy for my entry fees to be used to benefit the RSPCA.

If it wasn't for the RSPCA, and powers of prosecution, there would be a lot more horses dead and dying in disgusting foul conditions etc (think Spindles Farm, Amersham http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-f...ders-found-guilty-of-animal-neglect-on-a-mass).... they also look after and re-home thousands of animals every year, including horses. They offer free vet care to people who can't afford it.

I am not sure I understand the negativity of some of the responses here. I give money on a regular basis to the RSPCA, WWF, and also to local charities.

I wouldn't let the RSPCA bashing here discourage you from holding the event, I think it's a great idea!

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Lovely idea OP but please consider a smaller charity!
Equine Market Watch perhaps?
A 'charity' that has assets worth millions really doesn't need as much help as a small grassroots charity that is often going hand to mouth and probably doing a damn sight more.
Friend runs a sanctuary and I have seen how hard it is for her and how many animals depend on her.

Milanesa

Visit site
Well done OP you support who you want! The RSPCA are an animal charity that helps many animals, it's not there fault red tape gets I the way sometimes. I dont think they should be slated as all in all they are there to help improve animals lives and there is nothing wrong with that IMO. Shame I along way away but hope your event goes well.

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
A lady local to my mum in law died and left quite a good amount to the RSPCA - her specific wish was that it went directly for the care of the animals. The RSPCA built a bungalow for one of their officers with it. Not sure that was the best use or what the woman would have wanted! Then there was a horse that died round our way some years ago that people had been battering the RSPCA's door down to come out to see - they didn't even have a look just fobbed people off and then it was too late.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
As a veterinary nurse working closely with the RSPCA in the past I would not hesitate to slate them! Especially after they drowned a 50 yr tortoise because they thought it was a turtle!
Anyway OP sounds like a fantastic idea, why don't you just do it for a local small charity who would really benefit from the event! X

Spit That Out

Visit site
Good luck OP, If i lived closer then i would help. The RSPCA do good work in often difficult situations for many animals and although they may not act as quickly as many people think they should I'm sure they do everything they can at the time within in their limitations and red tape.

I'm sure there are many H&H forum peeps who have had bad experiences but there are many others that have had good dealings with them.

If the OP want's to support the RSPCA then that's her prerogative and doesn't need everyone telling her she's wrong and telling her who she should be supporting.

If you don't like the RSPCA then don't offer to help and don't respond by whinging about her post and her chosen charity. The OP needs and has asked for support not your personal feelings.

touchstone

Visit site
I've no objection to people supporting whoever they want; however after being refused help from an RSPCA inspector who was in the area rescuing a horse from a river, (it was deemed too dangerous for him - but I had to get on with it and it wasn't my horse!) and having horses literally starving on my doorstep with numerous complaints from the public and the RSPCA not doing a thing, I'm afraid my money goes elsewhere.

depurple1

Visit site
This thread may be negative towards the RSPCA, but hopefully it is also giving the OP some valuable feedback. The OP is asking for help, and there are a lot of people, myself included, who have no respect for the RSPCA, and would not wish to donate a penny or a second of time to them. A lot of these people, again myself included, would happily go out of their way to help and support other charities.