To all the old timers on here...

burtie

Visit site
I've been hanging around here forever (well it feels like it!) I used to be addicted, but these days I go days at a time without reading it......

nicelittle

Visit site
I quite agree. I've not been here as long as some. There's a distinct lack of action here now! The posts stay the same from one day to the next!
I really miss those Franch posts, redmone,, ponyiamnotfood and Delica and just trawling through some of those controversial posts!

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I am probably considered an 'old timer'. Had to get a new account recently as I forgot my password! But have been a member on here since 2005 and back in those days there were a lot more members and a lot more posts everyday - it's definitely a lot quieter these days on here but as others have said it is probably due to Facebook.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I doubt I'd be considered an 'Old timer', even if was a serial lurker for a year or two before, but even I've noticed a definite trend.

Let's try and start at least one interesting/controversial thread a night - that'll liven it up :p.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I am def an " old timer" in age terms...won't see 50 again..lol..
But I do think the forum has played a good part for me.. It's put me in touch with a few good friends, who I never would have known otherwise.. And given me bits of good help and advice. I don't post as often as I used to, but I do log on just as much to see what's lurking there.!

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I agree, very slow these days. I can remember all of the members that have been said, who remembers Armas? he had some very controversial posts but his horse was beautiful. I did like them bigger threads to read on a night, gave me quite a laugh sometimes. Also agree on the rugging front, it isn't that hard surely?!

Queenbee

Visit site
I quite agree. I've not been here as long as some. There's a distinct lack of action here now! The posts stay the same from one day to the next!
I really miss those Franch posts, redmone,, ponyiamnotfood and Delica and just trawling through some of those controversial posts!

I agree, very slow these days. I can remember all of the members that have been said, who remembers Armas? he had some very controversial posts but his horse was beautiful. I did like them bigger threads to read on a night, gave me quite a laugh sometimes. Also agree on the rugging front, it isn't that hard surely?!

Oh yes, the good old Franch posts! Stupid admin! Anything too controversial and they quashed it!

And Armas and Delica... the spats... tehehe!

NZJenny

Visit site
There are some threads that are still fun. But as someone else has said, there are times when I just want to say "FFS, it's a horse, it won't dissolve in the rain!"

I do find it interesting that everyone seems to have a pet cure - no matter what the problem, you can tick them off; get the dentist, the vet, the chiro, the saddler, sack the farrier and feed micronized linseed.

Regandal

Visit site
There are some threads that are still fun. But as someone else has said, there are times when I just want to say "FFS, it's a horse, it won't dissolve in the rain!"

I do find it interesting that everyone seems to have a pet cure - no matter what the problem, you can tick them off; get the dentist, the vet, the chiro, the saddler, sack the farrier and feed micronized linseed.

You forgot turmeric. :)

dianchi

Visit site
I think with the changes and extra forum types we have lost the trolls

I'm not quite at the point of missing crptrays
But it's def more grown up now!

Flame_

Visit site
It's mostly facebook's fault be enabling people to fragment easily into smaller and smaller groups of likeminded people. I much prefer this forum - the breath of opinions and personality types is still impressive.

As for the contentious stuff, the clocks change next week and the weather's not turned grim yet - give it a fortnight and there will be plenty of cheesed off, bored, cold, frustrated equestrians on here moaning and taking it out on each other. :)

A lot of missed people are still here with different names.

Last edited:

WelshD

Visit site
with the rise and rise of facebook I think all forums (fora?) have suffered but although I use Facebook I personally find it fleeting, posts for help on some groups vanish under a wave of debate about bling, show names and what colour numnah would suit a three legged, purple, twenty hand welsh pony with a red mane and tail and the genuinely interesting posts are well down the page in minutes

I do think people will start to return to forums like this in time and they will liven up

If anyone is friends with Redmone on Facebook I would be interested in friending her to see how DD and Harley are getting on, I often wonder how their show season has gone but I dont know her real name

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think with the changes and extra forum types we have lost the trolls

I'm not quite at the point of missing crptrays
But it's def more grown up now!

I'm pretty sure CPtrayes is still posting but under another name. Her style and subjects that interest her are still the same. I could be wrong though.

Sometimes I wonder when I read these posts whether it sounds a bit cliquey and off-putting to newer members.

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm by no means an old timer in here but have been for a couple of years and noticed it's all got very "samey" even club house one of my favourite sections.

I'm also on a football forum- did post now just read and while that's obviously going to be a different target audience eg mostly men, you get a lot more, less censored, debate. Some of it can get quite nasty so moderation is still good.

How about having an over 18's section within the clubhouse given some of the poster's reactions to any time a man comes on here I should imagine that would be hilarious! Eg keep clubhouse for general life stuff then have a slightly "naughtier" area?

Have also missed a good troll can remember the Jamie and dexter and Riley boy threads Riley boy in particular as it got so many women on here excited 😂 there are a lot of the same type of threads some of which I don't even bother reading.

bumper

Visit site
This sort of post, whilst with it's own wonderful integrity regarding old friends lost, stops newer people from posting at all. The inference is that only "old timers" have a place on this forum, and others will be tolerated only if they can be laughed at as "trolls" or "numpties".
Be careful here. Some "newbies" will have something intelligent to say, but will stop themselves due to this type of post. All of us started out somewhere :)

lhotse

Visit site
I've been a member for donkeys years, I miss the old troll posts, the days of Farthingwood Fox and the bloke with the TB in his garage. I can't remember when I last posted to be honest, although I do come on her for a read once in a while.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I agree it's a much slower pace on here now, not helped I feel by the fact it's not easy to follow a thread, unless that's just my stupidity. I am sure previously we could follow threads we had posted on and see they had been updated. It means that questions go unanswered sometimes.
I think the repetition of themes and questions has always been rife along with people resurrecting years old threads. The forum has without doubt changed significantly.

MargotC

Visit site
I am by no means an old timer but was a regular reader before I joined.

I think the point raised about censorship is a good one. Sadly, engaging threads do seem to get pulled regularly. The recent thread on crossbreds springs to mind. Surely in such a big community there should be room for differences of opinion. I think the majority of posters are able to disagree and yet keep a civil tone whilst arguing their point of view. Surely the debate environment is all the richer for it.

Queenbee

Visit site
Edited to say this is in response to Sussex by the sea's comment!
That certainly isn't the case, or more specifically the intention. I welcome new members, they keep things flowing... But it is a fact that the tone of the forum has changed over time and I do miss the old people as much as I embrace the new, I also miss the old forum... Was far more fun.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've been on here for years and years and had several user names, I get a new one every time I restore my laptop or get a new one as I have no idea what my password is, I rely on my computer to remember for me :lol: I've been off work on the sick for a couple of months now and it does seem quieter, but might just be me having nothing to do!

I'm spending a lot more time on facebook, and I keep getting involved in MAJOR barnies! It wouldn't happen on here! I comment here when I have something useful to say, or post when I want opinions on things I'm having an issue with. If I see ludicrous things posted on here I let it go as better people than me will be along shortly. However I see such flaming stupid stuff on Facebook and I know that almost everyone will be all "ooh well done for being 20 stone and riding your 14h pony, you go girl!" or "guess the breed of my pony, its welsh x arab and its skewbald"

I start by being reasonable then generally lose my rag after about 20 posts from flaming idiots!! Then I feel bad for trying to educate stupid, and swear i wont do it again. Until the next time!

Queenbee

Visit site
This sort of post, whilst with it's own wonderful integrity regarding old friends lost, stops newer people from posting at all. The inference is that only "old timers" have a place on this forum, and others will be tolerated only if they can be laughed at as "trolls" or "numpties".
Be careful here. Some "newbies" will have something intelligent to say, but will stop themselves due to this type of post. All of us started out somewhere :)
Personally I do think this is a silly interpretation, if some people take such a post to heart the so be it. Unfortunately over sensitivity on the part of admin and posters has had a part to play in good posters leaving this forum and it has become duller as a result. As I said above, I welcome new blood to the forum and would certainly welcome more posts and threads! But that does not stop me missing old members or wishing they had not felt the need to leave

madmav

Visit site
So everyone on here should liven things up!
I'm off to a sex party with the neighbours. Will let you know how it goes. Don't fancy him much, but whatever.

Queenbee

Visit site
I agree it's a much slower pace on here now, not helped I feel by the fact it's not easy to follow a thread, unless that's just my stupidity. I am sure previously we could follow threads we had posted on and see they had been updated. It means that questions go unanswered sometimes.
I think the repetition of themes and questions has always been rife along with people resurrecting years old threads. The forum has without doubt changed significantly.

I agree, the repeated themes have always been rife, it's just that now there is so much less 'other' and interesting content they are far more noticeable