To buy or not to buy... (help!)

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
So.. I’ve found what I deem to be ‘my perfect horse’.. if I had ANY critism it would be that he’s a tad smaller than she advertised but that’s it.

He’s a Dutch warmblood, very light on his feet, flashy, well schooled.
Jumped around Unaff (no proof though) no competition history to show. Quiet and seems safe.
12yo.

He’s currently out of any real work, ridden maybe once a week, unfit, under-muscled, a tad under condition and a few scrapes etc from other horses.

He’s priced at £5500.

To me... he’s over priced.
There is no movement on price and I’m torn between feeling he’s over priced but falling in love with him.

Thoughts?!

Am I being unrealistic?

elliesweet

Visit site
So.. I’ve found what I deem to be ‘my perfect horse’.. if I had ANY critism it would be that he’s a tad smaller than she advertised but that’s it.

He’s a Dutch warmblood, very light on his feet, flashy, well schooled.
Jumped around Unaff (no proof though) no competition history to show. Quiet and seems safe.
12yo.

He’s currently out of any real work, ridden maybe once a week, unfit, under-muscled, a tad under condition and a few scrapes etc from other horses.

He’s priced at £5500.

To me... he’s over priced.
There is no movement on price and I’m torn between feeling he’s over priced but falling in love with him.

Thoughts?!

Am I being unrealistic?

It could just be me but I see a lot of red flags here!!

that much money for a 12 year old with no competition history and something that is in that condition would make me question why?

Annagain

Visit site
Is he local EF? You're local to me I think and I'm looking at the moment so have done my homework on a lot of horses in the area. PM me details if you'd like, if it's the one I think it is, I wouldn't touch it with someone else's bargepole.

be positive

Visit site
A tricky one, if someone could be bothered to put in a months work, if he is straight that would be enough to make a huge difference, then he might be worth the money but if they haven't the inclination then I would be suspicious as to why he has been left out doing nothing.
They have no evidence he has competed, you cannot go to many venues without there being a photographer, I would expect to be able to trawl through and find a few decent photos to show a potential buyer for any here that have been jumped unaff going back several years if I wanted to.

Just to add my 16.2 has been out of work for over 2 years yet looks well muscled if a little tubby round his belly, his coat gleams and I could find a load of photos from when he was competing, a quick mane pull and I could easily ask £5k without needing to reveal his history, he is sound but may not stay sound once in full work jumping.

LegOn

Visit site
I usually not suspicious at all - normally take stuff at face value but I think for a 12 year old they should have some record of all the stuff they have done, as BePositive mentions above, even photos of all the things they say the horse has done. :confused:

I unfortunately think he is overpriced aswell :( very overpriced! And if they want that kinda money, they should be able to prove the horses worth, its not up to you to prove it - the seller should be falling over themselves to show you why the horse is worth it.

Green Bean

Visit site
I wouldn’t pay that price. I assume you have ridden the horse and have a feel for what it can do. Next step would be ask for access to its vet record. If there are hidden issues it may surface that way. Just remember to check all local vets as issues can be hidden using a ‘non-usual vet’.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
If the horse was fit - and in work - you would have a far better idea of what he is really like. A horse getting no hard feed, being hacked or ridden in school once a week MIGHT behave like a dope on a rope. If he WAS fit and ready to show you his capabilities - say jump a 4' course calmly and well - and hack out in company without turning into a racehorse, then £5,500 would be reasonable - even with no formal competition history. And - of course - pass a 5 stage vetting. But as he stands, he's a gamble - and not one I'd want to put more than £3,000 on.

vhf

Visit site
There would be rosettes, photos, online competition reports (even local unaffiliated shows often get reports online these days) all of which could tell you how successful, at what level, with who and how long ago this competition experience was gained. It could be completely genuine, but it could also not be... and either way unless the "no consistent work" period is fairly short, and easily and honestly explained, definitely too pricey IMO. It may be totally wrong, but the natural assumption is that he broke, and hasn't come back fully since, sorry. However, if I were to sell my older mare she's not been in consistent work for 5 years, and has no affiliated record. Yet she's never really been sick or sorry, and was a complete rosette machine at what I could get to on primitive DIY and full time work!

RachaelJC

Visit site
Personally I'd pass, however if you do really like him then put an offer on the table with reasons, and see what they say. If you're feeling like this then other viewers probably will be too, so a few months down the line of not selling the horse for £5.5k and the current owner may look differently at your lower offer. And also keep looking at others, as you may fall in love with another in the meantime.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
He’s not local unfortunately..

I don’t want to risk posting too much but there seems to be genuine reasons why hes not in much work so that side of things I’m not suspicious about.

I’ve had schooling videos around a course just no comp vids- not entirely sure he even went clear at the comp as I have no proof.

I offered £4 which I felt was still lots but it was straight turned down.
I said to pay £5.5 I would need vetting and X-rays which he’s open to but my head is still like ‘£5.5k for an unfit horse!’

I need to walk away.. off to view horse number 20 :-(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's not that the circumstances are suspicious it is more that you have little idea how well he holds up to full work (and are essentially vetting a rested one).

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'd walk away. He may be calm and quiet now, but that could easily change once he is fit and in consistent work. I would also query why there is no comp records.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
Definitely overpriced in my opinion. For that money, I would want some kind of proof - even from show secretaries

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
If he WAS fit and ready to show you his capabilities - say jump a 4' course calmly and well - and hack out in company without turning into a racehorse, then £5,500 would be reasonable - even with no formal competition history. And - of course - pass a 5 stage vetting. But as he stands, he's a gamble - and not one I'd want to put more than £3,000 on.

If he did all that you would be looking at more like 10k!

Bernster

Visit site
Eeek - agree re the iffy record and out of workness. I smell fish. I have tons of photos, videos, rosettes (not many red ones mind you) and results for our unaff outings over the years so it's dead easy to track these things and demonstrate past history. Overpriced.

Leandy

Visit site
I would be suspicious too. In fact I wouldn't have viewed it at all unless you can verify its history to a much greater extent than you have mentioned. The last lovely, easy, well schooled, warmblood type that was "out of work through no fault of his own" and undermuscled that I came across turned out to have navicular. Your offer was generous for an out of work 12yo horse with no verifiable track record. Maybe they will come back to you but I would not buy without a full vetting and x-rays at the very least...

cundlegreen

Visit site
A tricky one, if someone could be bothered to put in a months work, if he is straight that would be enough to make a huge difference, then he might be worth the money but if they haven't the inclination then I would be suspicious as to why he has been left out doing nothing.
They have no evidence he has competed, you cannot go to many venues without there being a photographer, I would expect to be able to trawl through and find a few decent photos to show a potential buyer for any here that have been jumped unaff going back several years if I wanted to.

Just to add my 16.2 has been out of work for over 2 years yet looks well muscled if a little tubby round his belly, his coat gleams and I could find a load of photos from when he was competing, a quick mane pull and I could easily ask £5k without needing to reveal his history, he is sound but may not stay sound once in full work jumping.
Surely if he's done that much, they must have taken some videos of him competing? In the age of the mobile phone, it seems a bit strange if there is no evidence of how he goes jumping. I agree that he is very overpriced, especially going into winter.

VRIN

Visit site
I understand why you might still be interested. Its soul destroying looking for a horse to buy but better that be for the looking rather than the owning. I would recommend patience and keep looking....

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I wouldn't that much for a 12 year old with no competition history , that is basically out of work.
It's hard when you really like a horse , but from a purely dispassionate point of view, I'd leave an offer on the table and see if the seller comes back to you when reality sets in.

This.

If I am paying that much for a horse then it needs to be out doing stuff, hacking and looking like it's worth it.

Would probably go £1000 ish no higher.

Orangehorse

Visit site
If you want a horse for a specific purpose - hacking, hunting, dressage, show jumping, etc - then you should buy one that is doing it now and you can see it doing it. Unless you want a punt and can put in the money, and the work and take the risk.
For £5,500 for a 12 year old it should be doing what you want it to do.

Equi

Visit site
Another no here unfortunately. Overpriced for the "state" so to speak. May be a damn good horse, but if you don't have the proof then how are you to know that?