To buy or not to buy.

pistolpete

Visit site
I don’t have a horse to ride of my own. I have a retired highland who is only 14 so could be around for a while. My other half thinks I’m insane having horses and is so relieved I’m home more and pony needs minimal care now I don’t ride him. He’s at a grass livery near home. I have a couple of shares on the go at the moment but hit a rocky patch with both of them weirdly. Fed up with it at the moment. Having to abide by their rules. Quite right as it’s their animals but annoying.
I could loan and one has come up which might suit. She’s another highland and not close by sadly or I’d have her on a trial if allowed.
My other half would be sad if I get another of my own but I’m sad without. Argh. Life’s too short for sadness!
My ideal would be a share/loan close by that I could treat as my own. Guess I need to keep looking and just wait.
Horses are stupid money anyway at the moment. Really can’t justify ££££ for a happy hack. That’s all I want to do. ? pointless post really. Appreciate any thoughts.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mr Red is sad at the number of horses and dogs we have, but has categorically said that he would be sadder if I was sad through not having them.

We have agreed to slow down when these animals go. Like no dogs and only one horse. Or, we both agree that a dog will probably appear, being as we didn't actually want either dog, yet they turned up. But no more than one horse, we will sell up and move to a livery yard and have a normal house. In the future. No actual age set.

PSD

Visit site
Life’s too short. My other half said when I sold my fell that I needed to use the money to buy another because he couldn’t stand the thought of me being at home moping around if I didn’t have a horse ? he moans that I’m out a lot but he would probably feel worse if I was under his feet sulking!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would try the loan one - not the issue of the silly money and options if it really doesn't work out longer term.

Your OH might be pleasantly surprised by how happy you are back riding again.

Or even look for alternative shares - we're coming into bad weather season so all the fair weather lot will be off.

Or talk to current sharers about the issues - if you don't ask you don't get. What they are asking might not be that important if they realise they might lose you over it

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I would definitely try to find loan or buy and then get a sharer. But I can appreciate the loan might appease your OH more!

I do think it can be hard to share after owning & sometimes the share horse owner can struggle with sharing- so try not to feel too disheartened. Easier said than done, I know.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'm also not suggesting deliberately manipulating your OH but could you find a way to use the extra time to show them that sometimes, horses equal freedom and their own peace and quiet ;)

Mrs C

Visit site
God this is like reading what I'd have written! Mine is semi retired, just lightly hacking, and I soooo feel like I'm totally lacking purpose. But I don't really have the money, or space on the yard for another! It's hard isn't it x

pistolpete

Visit site
Mrs C it’s very hard. I really like the horses I share they’re fab. Their owners are lovely it’s just the whole thing of not my rules not my agenda never going to be my future with them. My other half has loads of hobbies. Motorbikes gardening walking cooking. He’s not really too worried about the time I’m out of the house it’s the cost and the emotional expenses.

mariew

Visit site
Could you find a share where an owner has loads and is not so fussy about treating their horse just so? I ride at a riding school atm, it's certainly not perfect but when I share I just want my own again for probably the same reason. I also help a friend with her's when she works. I can't afford current horse prices so it is what it is.

pistolpete

Visit site
I do share with one lady who has 11 horses funnily enough but she’s got her own busy life too so what I want isn’t a priority even though I’m paying.

pistolpete

Visit site
Susie T that’s a good idea but of course horses cost so much more than motorbikes and gardening. I am retired so would need to go back to work to contribute. It’s an option.