Pictures To chop or not to chop

windand rain

Visit site
Well I am a fan of long manes and tails but she is very pretty and a Welsh partbred looks more Welsh than cob so I would trim her out like a partbred so feathers off mane to plaiting length and tail 4 inches below the hock. I would wait until Spring and riding her though cannot remember how old she is and if she is of an age to be backed

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Big fan of long manes and get some oil (jojoba/olive/argan you only need a tiny bit) girl and learn to work it in the hair you’ll be amazed how well it stays tanglefree but it takes a while. The tail however... chop to the hocks in winter it’ll grown like the clappers cone spring

Cowpony

Visit site
If it's hard to deal with now why not trim it, and by the time the better weather is here it will have grown back again.

She's looking absolutely gorgeous!

tatty_v

Visit site
What an absolutely stunning girl ? I’m normally a scissor happy person myself but she is definitely swaying me towards the L’Oréal look!

Lois Lame

Visit site
She's lovely. All I'd do is trim the tail a LITTLE. A TINY bit. Not much at all (i.e. the hocks would still be a distant view if glanced at from the end of her tail).

Feathers -- leave
Mane -- leave
Forelock -- leave

Maybe I'd even leave the tail as well.

Widgeon

Visit site
Well I am a fan of long manes and tails but she is very pretty and a Welsh partbred looks more Welsh than cob so I would trim her out like a partbred so feathers off mane to plaiting length and tail 4 inches below the hock. I would wait until Spring and riding her though cannot remember how old she is and if she is of an age to be backed

Yes, I was wondering what you planned to do with her? Do you want to show her at all, and if so, how? I think that would influence the answer for me (regarding the mane certainly). Her mane at the moment is gorgeous but beauty doesn't detangle itself - if there's no particular reason to leave it all long, I think she would look equally lovely with the "neat and tidy" look - mane trimmed, tail shortened and feathers off. Although she doesn't look like she has *much* feather anyway?

TPO

Visit site
If you decide to keep it long why not get a set of waterproof mane bags and a tail bag?

Brush the mane and put some leave in conditioner in it, plait and then bag. Protects from breakages and keeps it clean. Come summer* you'll have long, smooth, flowing hair.

* people generally advise unbagging, washing if possible, conditioning and re plaiting/bagging approx every 2wks. I'm not suggesting you leave from now until summer!

Annagain

Visit site
I can see why you're torn. I'm not usually a fan of long manes but hers is lovely. However, she has such a pretty face it seems a shame to be hiding it behind all that hair. I'd trim it to a good Welsh length (not really short but a sort of half way house). If you don't like it, it won't take too long to grow again. I'd chop a fair bit off her tail both so that she can't stand on it and so that you can watch it grow - then you can decide at which point it looks best and keep it there. This winter I chopped Archie's really quite short for convenience as he's retired and naked so it doesn't matter how he looks. It looks a lot better than I thought it would!