To Clay or Not To Clay?

Sportznight

Visit site
As far as I can gather it's now no longer the norm to clay legs after strenuous exercise, but to cool them with water/ice. Can anyone point me in the direction of any papers to say that this is more beneficial please? I did google it, but am perhaps not wording my search correctly, as currently not getting the information I require. To me it makes sense, however I would like to have facts to back up this POV when discussing this with my boss, who as an ex 3DE rider (more than 15yrs ago) thinks that clay is the way forwards... Thank you :)

willtowin

Visit site
I don't have any evidence, and I don't know if this really answers your question but thought you'd like to see what other people do so hear goes!
Legs wise, we always wash them off after XC. We then put ice or cool therapy boots around the legs while we walk them off to cool them etc, and while we're sorting them out back at the lorry. After they are completely done we clay, put clingfilm over then bandage :) we use NAF ice cool, Veredus Bio Care Cool Clay or Equine America Like Ice :) after strenuous work or working on hard ground we use this super cooling spray which isn't as effective as clay etc but then again that kind of work doesn't need claying, also doesn't need the cost!

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/Equestr...Supreme+Products+Leg+Cooling+Gel_560-0240.htm

Haven't had a lame horse due to hard ground since I evented myself many moons ago, so seems to work! :D

woodlandswow

Visit site
sorry if i seem thick.. i have always used ice cooling gel.. does clay work in the same way as this??.. what are the added benefits?.. or is it just old fashioned?? :confused:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
It was me that put that article together. The vet who wrote that article is very big in the endurance world and has done years of FEI vetting in endurance which as I think we will agree is one of the toughest vettings to pass in competition.

Maddie2412

Visit site
i like the prem equine cool gaiter think make sense to me and my friend uses it after galloping her horses for fitness... however when i worked on a sj yard we always had to school with tendon boots on, not necessarily something i agree with but afterwards each horse would have their legs sponged with fridge cooled water every 5 minutes thoroughly for the next 20 or so no one really has the time but was a good practise i think...

meandmyself

Visit site
where can I buy some ice/gel packs from that I can bandage instead of using clay?

Thanks

Cheap frozen peas or those ice cube bags work just as well. You just need to put a layer of something between the leg and the ice. Tubi-grip works really well. (Get a length double to what you need, fold it in half with the open end towards the top and pop it onto the leg. Then slid the ice in between the layers. We used to put a set of travel boots over the top, but you could bandage.)

The problem with clay is that once it reaches leg temperature, it starts to dry out and loses the cooling/drawing effect. It needs to be kept wet to work properly.

smurf

Visit site
After they are completely done we clay, put clingfilm over then bandage :) we use NAF ice cool, Veredus Bio Care Cool Clay or Equine America Like Ice :) D

Whether to use clay or not is a personal preference but I have been told by several people that to add cling film is a bad idea as it stops the moisture evaporating which is the whole point