To clip or not to clip... That is the question - Advice please!!

Emshad

Visit site
Hi peeps,

Due to injury my horse has been out of work for about 9 months. Over the last couple of weeks after our all clear I have been walking him under saddle, buliding him up gradually working to a fitness plan etc etc. Because he was out of work from May - Jan i didnt clip him as there was no need, he wasnt in any typre of work and 6-7 of those months were box rest. However (i dont normally clip in the summer) when he is back in full work (i anticipate this to be summertime (ish) if all goes well) im not sure what to do with regards to clipping as his coat is obviously longer this year than normal. He is rugged well so doesnt have masses of coat - first thought is to see how he goes temp wise with the coat and go from there.... any ideas would be much appriciated?? xx
smile.gif

perryhillbay

Visit site
He will moult as normal regardless of whether he has been clipped in the winter, so will have a nice short coat by the time you need him to, so I shouldn't worry about it.

In the meantime, if you feel that you really need to you could give him a bib clip now, so taking off just enough to make him more comfortable, but you would need to do that soonish, so as not to jeopardise his summer coat. As in the next couple of weeks...

Emshad

Visit site
Thank you Fizzy!! - That really helps - just really worried like you said about runining the summer coat. Tbh i think the non clipping in 09 has helped him slightly sort his coat out! xx

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
I'm having the same dilemma. Mine was off for almost a year and brought back into work November/December with gentle walking. Now we're doing a bit more he does get a little warm and I'm wondering whether to a bib/chaser clip now, but I can't stand it when the moult so I might just take the whole lot off when the weather warms up a bit instead!

Baileyhoss

Visit site
On the other hand, if you are planning on working him through the spring, I think you would be better to clip.

I was in a similar situation with my fella having the winter off one year, so I didn't clip, but by March/April I still had a fluffy teddy who sweated up at the mere mention of putting on his saddle!.

You wouldn't spoil the coat if you clipped now, but it would make spring a LOT easier - plus you won't have to groom out all that coat
smile.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
If he's coat is longer than normal during winter and if your now in the position of getting him fit and will be doing more work with him as the months go on and he's currently 'unfit' at the mo, he's going to get warm and sticky and with a long coat he's more likely to catch a chill unless your drying him off well, plus less likely to get any unwanted skin problems if the coat is off, I'd take it off, it won't spoil his summer coat.

lh1975

Visit site
Hi,

Horses shouldn't be clipped after 1st January as it affects the growth of the summer coat. If your horse has a lot of hair that needs getting out, all you need is a rubber curry comb and a bit of elbow grease!!

Riz

Visit site
I've always worked on 2nd week of Feb for last winter clip, but used to clip a mare all year round, and she still managed a nice summer coat (in between clips!!).

I'd take it all off now - I'm tempted to do my old retired boy this spring as he didn't ever really finish moulting last year & was ever so hot in the summer.

cm2581

Visit site
I find the summer coat is fine so long as the last clip isn't after they start to cast the winter coat. This does vary hugely with every horse. One of mine starts to cast around christmas and the other not till march!

Baileyhoss

Visit site
ditto cm2581.
I did my last clip late last year (think it was mid feb) due. It didn't change his coat one bit as it hadn't started casting.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Well I am in a similar position and I will be clipping sometime in the next few weeks. We have always done our last clip by the end of Feb and never had a problem with ruined summer coats and we show our horses so this is important. T is all itchy and has a thick coat especially since he has not been clipped at all this winter due to his suspensory injury. He is beginning to sweat during his walking work so I will be taking it all off, last year due to work and life getting in the way I clipped him in November then late Feb and I had a high trace but it took ages to get rid off the long fur left on so that is why I shall take it all off this time.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Horses shouldn't be clipped after 1st January as it affects the growth of the summer coat. If your horse has a lot of hair that needs getting out, all you need is a rubber curry comb and a bit of elbow grease!!

[/ QUOTE ]

not true, entirely dependent on when your horse actually decides to moult!.

Oofa I will be doing just that, it will all come off end of feb/beginning of march, he barely starts moulting before end of april when it just becomes a sweat hair fest as the weather warms up.

lh1975

Visit site
Forgive me for being a traditionalist after nearly 30 years of horse owning ; )

In the good old days when the BHS manual of Horsemanship, et al were the horse owners' bibles, it was always not to clip after 1st Jan...

sugarlump121

Visit site
Yes lara1975 I used to go by that too but have seen over the years that this makes no difference to a horses summer coat.

Also, as I read somewere on here recently on a clipping topic the seasons have changed so much over the last few years that what worked years ago may work differently now.

Personally if my boy needs a clip to make him more comfy I'll do it whether its 31st Dec or 31st Jan
smile.gif