To get a cat or not, am I being selfish?

smolmaus

Visit site
That's a good idea, re the litter. I would worry about the cat accidentally getting out generally, so I think our plan is to have them freely out during the day, but in once dark?

I think the butter is supposed to help them track the scent? Who knows! My friend from university said her mum had said the same thing!
They are more than capable of tracking their own scent back home without the butter lol Well, saying that, the risk is if they panic and run so don't have the time to lay down a proper scent trail they can get lost. But I don't think butter would help in that situation. Wonder how that one got started lol

Depending what kind of garden space you end up with you could always do a cat proof fence so they have access to their own outside space but can't go wandering all over.
slightly longer while you stand wringing your hands at the backdoor with a bag of Dreamies. Then you just need to hope they like you enough to come back!
Even if we weren't right beside a busy main road I couldn't handle this stress, I don't have the mental fortitude ? "Luckily" one of ours is scared of his own shadow and also doesn't have the mental fortitude to be an outside cat anyway so easy decision to keep them in.

9tails

Visit site
Even if we weren't right beside a busy main road I couldn't handle this stress, I don't have the mental fortitude ? "Luckily" one of ours is scared of his own shadow and also doesn't have the mental fortitude to be an outside cat anyway so easy decision to keep them in.

I'm so fortunate to live in kitty paradise. I back onto 50 acres of allotments so they have a huge amount of safe play. But I've also spent many a dark evening walking over there with a flashlight calling for one when they've failed to show up for dinner.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
When mine start to go out they’re supervised in the garden first. Practise calling back and rewarding with food. When you feed them generally use particular words and tones to associate with feeding. Then generally they’re only out when I’m in and I open the door for them or leave it open then finally they use the catflap to go in and out as they please.

Things like Dreamies are good for getting them in. However I’ve found the ultimate lure is tinned tuna. So if that doesn’t work I shout “tuna” in a specific and annoying high pitched way and tap a bowl or saucer. Never failed if they’re in earshot. And of course they must get some tuna as a reward ?.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Just in case you're not fully convinced...

104290732_10158998211384925_659501443467198630_n.jpg

106368864_10159061433879925_5634371318912522602_n.jpg

107373424_10159098237609925_6141138671550990933_o.jpg

109102867_10159116344449925_6217367362610712034_o.jpg

103303197_10158981360804925_5325545622554456300_n.jpg

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Both myself and my partner have always had cats so it felt really "weird" not having them when we first moved in together

We have one each, he has "The Alley Cat" aka Gary and I have my ragdoll. The introduction was interesting, but apart from when the bundling gets a bit rough they seem to get on very well- they're only a month apart in age and are a boy and girl- my parents have found this combination best too having had 2 girls before. This may be because my parents current 2 are ragdolls, and one of ours is and they're known for their temperaments

We have indoor cats, have done since I was 11, so was keen to continue this on moving out (plus "raggies" aren't supposed to go out due to their lack of perceiving danger) I just couldn't be doing with the worry about them and unfortunately there are also cars around and also even more sadly, too many nasty people that do some sick things. OH sister has twice had cats go missing- one was found but the other never has, I couldn't cope with the not knowing. I don't think I'd ever want another outdoor cat- they will come out in the garden with us in the summer on harnesses. AC is a moggy as well so its not just the pedigrees that cope with don't mind being housecats

I am very biased, but ragdolls are the best

Screenshot_20210112-165520_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210112-165404_Gallery.jpg

You being cat free are also missing out on all the potential exploits of owning a potential Alley Cat

Screenshot_20210112-165908_Gallery.jpg

VioletStripe

Visit site
Crazy_cat_lady oh they are lovely!!! I would love a Ragdoll, I think they are beautiful. I have heard that about being outdoors... maybe a Ragdoll x Bengal would be ideal, to counteract that for us :p

Partner and I were joking about finding a Bengal x Maine Coon for FIL who lives on a 100 acres of farmland. Might have to go and get a lottery ticket!

Cloball

Visit site
When mine start to go out they’re supervised in the garden first. Practise calling back and rewarding with food. When you feed them generally use particular words and tones to associate with feeding. Then generally they’re only out when I’m in and I open the door for them or leave it open then finally they use the catflap to go in and out as they please.

Things like Dreamies are good for getting them in. However I’ve found the ultimate lure is tinned tuna. So if that doesn’t work I shout “tuna” in a specific and annoying high pitched way and tap a bowl or saucer. Never failed if they’re in earshot. And of course they must get some tuna as a reward ?.
My mum has a very specific high pitched cat voice. Brings a whole new meaning to cat calling ?
My old ginger cat used to come to ”yoghurt” if you said it in a high pitched voice or fatty ... ?

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
You will struggle to find one atm. I hate not having a cat in the house, funny how much time I spent talking, playing, fussing, feeding, poo scooping. Kittens are selling in minutes on Preloved, even where are £200 plus each. But I agree, depending on temperament cats will cope with moving. My boyfriend wants to wait till we move as thinks off putting to buyers.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Just be aware they have zero boundaries and are master manipulators... especially if you get a Ragdoll.

A story from this morning, his face when I told him I was going to work and making me feel guilty for leaving him.
View attachment 63178
Where I found him 5 minutes later when I popped back in to get something I forgot.
View attachment 63179

How could you leave that face ?

Ragdolls definitely know how to wrap you round their little finger! When they beseech you with those blue eyes they are very hard to ignore. Mine has been sat on my chest while wfh but a purry snuggly ragdoll is very hard to move so I've been typing with one hand and reaching round her, fluff up my nose, as I couldn't possibly remove her!

VioletStripe

Visit site
I love the Slinkies!! They're like bewitching little elf cats!

I agree - I couldn't leave the Ragdoll with that face o_O

Dontforgetaboutme - very true. I'm keeping an eye on sites but the prices are mega at the moment! We'll see how the next few weeks/months go with availability... and chatting with the spouse! Watch this space, I hope I will be updating you with our new addition to the family soon...

Shady

Visit site
I love the Slinkies!! They're like bewitching little elf cats!

I agree - I couldn't leave the Ragdoll with that face o_O

Dontforgetaboutme - very true. I'm keeping an eye on sites but the prices are mega at the moment! We'll see how the next few weeks/months go with availability... and chatting with the spouse! Watch this space, I hope I will be updating you with our new addition to the family soon...
I hope so too :). I love all the photos. There are some seriously gorgeous cats on here.
I have always had a mix of slinkies and fluffters. I love both sorts equally but these two newbies have been named the Gremkitties by the good people on here!! They are bringing an enormous amount of joy to our lives:)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hufflepuff is Ragdoll x Maine Coon, but only a quarter MC, she is now in my bad books after knocking my lovely horse ornament off my mantlepiece :(, so I'll post her over to you :p.
139024218_10159615046534925_7722027736850969279_n.jpg

To be honest I’d be tempted to let her outside a little more, if I was totally rural as she she does learn, she was wary and hissed at my friends dog but only after she nearly got eaten by my parents dog. I’ve cat proofed the back and have plans for an extended catio!

windand rain

Visit site
Aw the cats are so beautiful I am very much a cat person without a cat. When we had the cat we moved a lot in a short space of time we always buttered his paws the reasoning is that when you them outside they stop to lick off the butter and get their bearings before moving slowly off to explore its supposed to stop them bolting away and getting lost. I would get 2 kittens ASAP if I were you as they will need to be kept in until they are neutered anyway so as its better to wait they cannot go out until done and healed which will be a few months down the line anyway

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I hope so too :). I love all the photos. There are some seriously gorgeous cats on here.
I have always had a mix of slinkies and fluffters. I love both sorts equally but these two newbies have been named the Gremkitties by the good people on here!! They are bringing an enormous amount of joy to our lives:)

I think we need a Grem Kitty update on their thread need some new photos of those ears- do they still fold up like they're tucked away for the evening?

Shady

Visit site
I think we need a Grem Kitty update on their thread need some new photos of those ears- do they still fold up like they're tucked away for the evening?
I shall add some photo's and update asap!!
Remi's ears( the Oriental) have so far stayed slightly folded at the tip, one more than the other, when he's in 'rest' mode. They flap around like little flags when he runs, which is just about all the time now. Such a busy little imp. Rosie's ears have firmed up and go mainly sideways like wings. She is the sweetest little girl I have ever had but with some serious girl power going on too. Watching her take over the best spot by the fire from the Weimaraner is hilarious!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I shall add some photo's and update asap!!
Remi's ears( the Oriental) have so far stayed slightly folded at the tip, one more than the other, when he's in 'rest' mode. They flap around like little flags when he runs, which is just about all the time now. Such a busy little imp. Rosie's ears have firmed up and go mainly sideways like wings. She is the sweetest little girl I have ever had but with some serious girl power going on too. Watching her take over the best spot by the fire from the Weimaraner is hilarious!

You just know you can't say about the ears flapping around like little flags and not upload a video ? that sounds so funny to watch, we need to see this ? are they noisy yet? I can tell your love for them it's lovely. they look they could feel the cold quite easily? Funny how she has everyone sussed and under her control already!

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I've had one cat who was the most wonderful creature. As a child I would call him in from the garden at bed time and he would zoom straight up the stairs onto my bed and stay there until I was asleep. He would hang out with me like a dog, follow me around the house, play fight with me etc. He was terrific.

I've never had another cat like that since.