to go to show or not....?

asommerville

Visit site
our big local show at ingliston ec is this weekend.. tempted to take my 5 year old but i'm scared :-( hes not the best at loading (we are practicing) and i dont know what class to do aa hes only been ridden by someone else once and hes been a.wee bit silly atm when ridden.

what to do??!!

Nicnac

Visit site
He's only been ridden by someone else once? Does this mean you've never ridden him? He doesn't load well and is being very silly at the moment when ridden. It's a big show.

Well - you'll either blow his brains or he'll be so overawed he'll be fine........

Your decision ;)

(if it were my horse? I wouldn't go as nothing worse & more stressful for both 2 legged and 4 legged than having a freaked out youngster at a show, who then won't load to get home... I sort out the issues beforehand both on the ground and ridden)

showpony

Visit site
Go for the experience of getting him used to the environment of the show & get him used to the different noises etc.. ( dont ride )
And if he has been only ridden by someone else once and you are scared defo don't consider competing.

our big local show at ingliston ec is this weekend.. tempted to take my 5 year old but i'm scared :-( hes not the best at loading (we are practicing) and i dont know what class to do aa hes only been ridden by someone else once and hes been a.wee bit silly atm when ridden.

what to do??!!

GeorgieLee

Visit site
you dont have to put him in a class where the judge rides - I'm presuming this is what you are meaning by - he has only been ridden by someone else once?
depends how you get on with his loading - you could just take him for a wander round - see how he reacts - you can usually enter classes on the day anyway, so see how you feel??

be positive

Visit site
I would not take him for all the reasons you have given, he may not load and you will set him back, he is obviously not ready to be ridden by a judge, you are scared so why put yourself through it.
Spend the winter going out, lots of different experiences will prepare you both properly for next season.

asommerville

Visit site
sorry didnt explain.myaelf very well. he has been shown in hand numerous times but mainly at home due to.loading issue
...think my main worry is the loading as i could show him in hand.....

just being made to feel.as if he should be doing more than he is.

the one time he went out to a show he was perfectly well behaved, just took a while.to load.