To high viz or not to high viz...do i dare ask the question!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I'm really struggling with high viz for my ridiculously huge pony. The Big Horse shop don't have the high viz brushing boots in stock any more and won't until winter. No one seems to do a high viz ride on rug or quarter sheet that looks bigger than a postage stamp. Equisafety had volunteered to make one for me (I'd contacted them in hope they might normally make large rugs for police horses) but after I provided Little Ern's measurements, they realised it would need whole new patterns which would cost too much :( Instead my brother is buying me an XL rug and I'm going to source some reflective material which I'll sew on to the bottom to make the rug big enough (I have a sewing machine and a vague idea how to use it. How hard can it be?)

Until then, its just me, covered in high viz and leds. Generally Ernie's very large bottom tends to stop drivers in their tracks with a look of fear in their eyes.

I should also mention, I wear my high viz tabard while hacking around the farm ride at the yard to be visible to helicopters and other low flying noise makers, or just in case. A friend was once kicked by a mare in the field while she was getting one in. It was so much easier and quicker to recognise a problem because she easily stood out against the muddy field because she was wearing high viz.

When we were looking for Hi-Viz boots for my sisters Draught mare we got two pairs of Hi-Viz bell boot thingy's and used two boots per leg, it actually worked quite well :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I had a Parsons Rump and did not like it or the fit of it so sold it.

Each to their own, I love mine. Ive had mine for 5 years on 2 different horses, one a wb, one a tb. What I like was in the summer they are really light so don't sweat up underneath. I tried an mesh sheet but kept flapping in the breeze and spooking the horse and getting caught in brambles and branches on the overgrown bridle paths.

Winter I use a fleece lined waterproof sheet as tb is such a wimp about cold and wet and that is heavy enough to stay put and tough to withstand getting snagged.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Hi viz waistcoat in summer or jacket in winter. Breastplate on the horse every time, mesh quarter sheet in summer, waterproof fleece lined one in winter. Hi viz gloves in winter but they’re too thick for summer. A pair of high viz ears is on my shopping list. I do have hi viz boots but must confess I sometimes forget to put them on as I tend to only boot for xc so boots aren’t in my normal tacking up routine. Flashing led Velcro straps over boots in winter time.

My mesh quarter sheet is pony size on a 16.3 ISH. I wrap the part that should go under the flaps and over the withers round the back girth strap. Works a treat, is so lightweight he never gets too warm and is plenty deep enough over his bum, comes to about stifle height - think it would actually swamp a pony depth-wise.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I'm really struggling with high viz for my ridiculously huge pony. The Big Horse shop don't have the high viz brushing boots in stock any more and won't until winter. No one seems to do a high viz ride on rug or quarter sheet that looks bigger than a postage stamp. Equisafety had volunteered to make one for me (I'd contacted them in hope they might normally make large rugs for police horses) but after I provided Little Ern's measurements, they realised it would need whole new patterns which would cost too much :( Instead my brother is buying me an XL rug and I'm going to source some reflective material which I'll sew on to the bottom to make the rug big enough (I have a sewing machine and a vague idea how to use it. How hard can it be?)

Until then, its just me, covered in high viz and leds. Generally Ernie's very large bottom tends to stop drivers in their tracks with a look of fear in their eyes.

I should also mention, I wear my high viz tabard while hacking around the farm ride at the yard to be visible to helicopters and other low flying noise makers, or just in case. A friend was once kicked by a mare in the field while she was getting one in. It was so much easier and quicker to recognise a problem because she easily stood out against the muddy field because she was wearing high viz.

I cobbled together a hi-viz bow to plait into my pony's tail after she skinned her back legs and I didn't want her regular leg wraps to rub. I got 2m of hi-viz ribbon

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HI-VISIB...TRE/301224736915?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

and fluorescent ribbon
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berisfor...0mm/362320897060?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Then tied then together in a bow looped onto a hairband I can then plait into the top of her tail. Rear end hi viz, suitable for even the portliest of bums for less than £4! Unfortunately no photos, but I can snap one tomorrow if you like.

I also always hack with a fluorescent lead rope since lead ropes are always useful and it gives another thing visible from in front/ side

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Is no one brave enough to admit they don't wear hi-viz? There are enough of them around!

For me.... Yellow, orange or pink tabard from amazon & hat band, in winter I have the most fabulous cycling chaps which keep the wind & rain off, just a few quid from Aldi.

Pony wears neck band, bands over his boots, & I attach a band to his browband so he can be seen from the front I add a bum sheet in winter.

I only started wearing it recently. It never occurred to me until I read posts on hho about it. I haven't been wearing it since it's got really hot. Is it still necessary in bright light?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Summer - tabard, hatband, hi viz browband, & I have reflective over reach boots & bright coloured fly veil.

Winter as above with a full site jacket reflective, hi viz & with 20 kazillion pockets.

Mule

Visit site
Summer - tabard, hatband, hi viz browband, & I have reflective over reach boots & bright coloured fly veil.

Winter as above with a full site jacket reflective, hi viz & with 20 kazillion pockets.

I think my boy would look handsome in a hi viz browband. Must Investigate.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
20727901_10155785685879739_1689393585808031102_n.jpg

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Hi viz items on both myself and horse all year round. Hat cover, tabard or jacket, exercise sheet and ear bonnet. I sometimes think bright light is worse as you will disappear into any shadows especially on a darker horse.

I'm going to get lights for winter this year as some days it'll be pretty dark all day up here.