To Hog or Not to Hog??

jodiew

Visit site
Right guys i have had my new horse for two weeks now, took him to his first show on Sunday and we came 2nd!! yey was only in best turned out but still
smile.gif

Right the predicament that i have got is that his mane, is very very thick (even though we have pulled it) and it also lays to the worng side, now he is a 16.3 IDxCob so he is quiet heavy build and i can't decide if i should hog him or not??

Next year i am wanting to do alot of showing with him, and working hunter classes so what do you all think would be better??

PLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAASSSSSSEEE HELP ME!!

Jodie xx

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I wouldn't hog if you want to do hunter classes as it correct to be plaited. Hopefully over the winter you thin the mane a bit and maybe try and use a hood to get it over on the correct side.

jodiew

Visit site
I will try and get some pics up for you.

I don't think i dare hog incase he looks awful! i think i may try to thin it, if when i pull it i do it to the other side, then plat it over will that help?

It is just so thick as the previous owner used to use a solo comb and just cut it so it has gone abit wild! lol

jodiew

Visit site
ohhh i don't think i am going to know, you have all put me off! lol

You see i don't really know alot about showing i am just starting to get into it all
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Noooooooooo, dont hog!! Get one of those rakes and thin it out, the use a hood or plaits to train it over. My horse had his mane on the wrong side and it was trained over within a matter of weeks just by putting it in little plaits.

If you decide you dont like it it will take up to 2 years to go back to how it was, they end up stuck up for ages and ages.

vicm2509

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ohhh i aint going to hog it now.

Did you have to do loads of little plaits? what rake thingys??

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smart-Tails-Mane-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

I brush the mane to the opposite side than I want it to lay then just comb it though. This makes sure thin the hair from the underneath as if you just comb it though the topside of the mane you take the hair from the top so it wont lie right. Fab things and you can also do the tail with them for a pulled effect.

I just wet his mane and put it in about 12 plaits and left them in. Those lycra hoods are brill aswell.

HenryandPeta

Visit site
I strongly feel if you are going to hog, you need to go the "whole hog" so to speak (ah ha ha! no pun intended) and take off feathers and pull his tail too. He'll look odd with no mane and lovely hairy legs - take it from me! I hog and fully clip Henry - at the moment his feathers are growing out and his mane is a 3 inch tall mohawk! He badly needs clipping I'm just trying to make him go another two weeks...

here's him when I first got him, before "hog":

dressage_pose1.jpg

and him done up, full clip, tail pulled and hogged for showing (I leave his forelock for fly protection):

minch3.jpg

conniegirl

Visit site
if you want to show then do not hog. at 16.3hh you cannot do cob classes and he realy isnt the right type for maxis. for working hunter you will need to have him plaited. preferably pull his tail and take his feathers off.
also for working hunter the correct turnout is a tweed jacket and shirt and tie. if you look on ebay over winter there are normaly quite a few good tweeds come up for sale (go for green or brown not blue)