To keep trying or to depart from my best friend

telerimist

Visit site
I went through something vaguely similar with my horse a few years ago. We were competing low level BE at the time and he briefly went off the boil, before collapsing at a competition. He had all manner of tests, ultimately a bonescan, but the vets couldn't find anything wrong. We changed tack, took shoes off, and for a while started jumping again. But he wasn't the same to jump and started throwing in some dirty stops, I had a couple of tumbles and our confidence evaporated.

I posted an epic thread on here years ago asking 'where to go from here' - with the answers being retire / pts / retire from jumping . I chose to "retire" from jumping, although we have the occasional play XC and instead i affiliated him BD for a while. He is sound, fit and well, and part of me thinks we should try again, but i have a feeling it will end in tears, so I talk myself out of it. He is now 13.

He is my horse of a lifetime though and has given me so much fun that I would never sell him just because he doesn't want to jump anymore. But that is me, and not everyone has that kind of relationship with their horse. He is as much fun on the ground as a pet as is he is to ride. Good luck with whatever you decide : )

This is exactly her! Been through every possible avenue with her if it could be something physical even a full vetting with bloods but nothing has come up, and she works completely fine at home! I feel the same about my mare, we've had a great time so I just feel I'm being greedy for asking her to still work but she is only 13.
Thank you for your thoughts.

stilltrying

Visit site
This is exactly her! Been through every possible avenue with her if it could be something physical even a full vetting with bloods but nothing has come up, and she works completely fine at home! I feel the same about my mare, we've had a great time so I just feel I'm being greedy for asking her to still work but she is only 13.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Even though the vets didn't find anything wrong, I do believe something was (possibly still is) hurting him. Horse are so willing, whenever their behaviour changes I think 99.9% of the time it is pain related. Yes it could have been a tack issue, but his front feet were never investigated, it was all focused on his back / back end. But you have to draw the line somewhere with veterinary investigations / expense! So short of getting an 'animal communicator' to give him a voice, I'm at a loss as to what to do. He seems happy enough in his life now and strongly suspect if start putting any pressure on him the old problems will reoccur.

Arniebear

Visit site
If shes given up the ghost jumping maybe try endurance? Its still competitive for you and you mention shes a great hack? Could give her a new lease of life?