To loan or not to loan??

SnowPhony

Visit site
The owners of B have been thrilled with how well she has progresssed since I have been working with her and have said they would be happy for me to take her on loan or even buy her if I wanted to.

Now this obviously makes me very happy. She's a fab horse, very sweet if silly at times but isn't that why we love them?? I feel she has great potential to go further.

On the other hand she isn't as big as I'd ideally choose and older than I'd ideally choose at 14. Also the arrangement we have at the moment means I pretty much have the benefit of having my own, without the cost of owning/loaning.

If I choose not to loan/buy her then our current arrangement stands, unless they decide in the future to loan her out to someone else or sell her.

I'm in a bit of a predicament as I adore the mare, initially she isn't what I would have looked for had I been gonig out to loan or buy, but shes such a fab horse I really am not sure what to do at the moment!

Cliqmo

Visit site
If you're all happy with the setup why change it? I would keep things as they are unless the owners specifically request a change from you
smile.gif

SnowPhony

Visit site
Yes that is a very good point. If they come to me saying they are gonig to put her on loan/sell her then I will have to give it some serious thought, but I guess until then I should just enjoy it as it is? Would be great to have her a bit more local to me though but I can't complain with the arrangement we currently have as I can come and go as I please and do as I wish with her!

bushbaby28

Visit site
If you have her on full loan then you'll fall even more in love with her and inevitably wanna buy her... if you think you would find it hard to walk away then i would say stay as you are or walk away.

Only say this as i have been there, taken a horse on full loan and when owner came to end contract i couldnt let him go and brought him (despite him not being able to do what i wanted to do plus a failed vetting).

best of luck though. sounds like you have a lovely partnership
smile.gif
xx

SnowPhony

Visit site
I think I miss the day to day things that come with having your own horse. I've offered to do things around the yard for owners but they want me as nothing more than a rider/handler.

Montyforever

Visit site
Be careful when full loaning ect, sometimes you put in the work and they suddenly out of the blue want the horse back and all your hard efffort/money goes to waste, have learnt this from experiance
frown.gif

SnowPhony

Visit site
Oh that happened to me with my first loan pony....ended up with him because he was a pain in the riding school. He was very much a 1 person pony and as soon as he was settled and doing fantastically well, they suddenly wanted him back for the riding school
frown.gif