To many mistakes for Charlotte and Uthopia at GPS Rotterdam *videos

j1ffy

Visit site
It looked to me like Charlotte and Uthopia need a bit more practice in the canter work - they didn't look quite 'on song' for all of it! Carl's test looked a bit 'safe', probably as Dances with Wolves had been very hot in the GP apparently. And how big is that horse, he looks huge?!

horsedances

www.topdressage.tv
But she did go on to beat him with Valegro! :)

Yes . but Edward rode Glock's Undercover and not Glock's Voice in the Nations Test.

100% sure that the test of Carl and Dances should have been placed above the ride of Charlotte and Uthopia.

Strange however that Carl didn't opted for another starting place, because No Eye on the ground this time for both of them.

Next to this all : Please take in consideration that riding a stallion is different than riding a gelding !!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes . but Edward rode Glock's Undercover and not Glock's Voice in the Nations Test.

100% sure that the test of Carl and Dances should have been placed above the ride of Charlotte and Uthopia.

Strange however that Carl didn't opted for another starting place, because No Eye on the ground this time for both of them.

Next to this all : Please take in consideration that riding a stallion is different than riding a gelding !!!!
Why is it different? I don't ride my stallion any differently, in fact he's a hell of a lot easier than my gelding! A professional shouldn't have the slightest difficulty riding different horses, never mind their sex.

TrakehnerFilly

Visit site
I think Charlotte rode Uti better the other week at Saumur CDI3* where they won, that seemed more fluid where as tension was creeping in a lot in this test. He may still be getting over fly bites that he had that prevented him from competing at Rotterdam I think it was. However it is amazing considering she only got the ride at the beginning of this year so still a very new partnership and as Carl has said on twitter a few times she is finding his buttons.

With Valegro this is his first competitive outing of the year if I am not mistaken after quite a long period of down time for a horse of his calibre so definately think he will get back in the swing of things soon as although they won it wasn't of the quality of last year for the pair. Still lovely and a pleasing picture but not as wow.

Marydoll

Visit site
They looked amazing, a few mistakes but id kill for elevation like that, im pretty sure theyll be back on top again in no time, and being placed where they were isnt to shabby tbh

TarrSteps

Visit site
I have to support Cortez in this. Most of the competing stallions I know (and have ridden) got to keep their nuts BECAUSE they have particularly good minds. If they're a problem, someone usually takes them off pretty early in the game. One might argue perhaps Valegro is without because he's naturally trickier.

I'm not advocating leaving any old horse entire, btw, but top end dressage and sj is lousy with stallions these days, many of them entire BECAUSE they are winners.

Foxford

Visit site
Poor Charlotte, I bet she's kicking herself! DWW is so big, I don't know how carl controls those half passes. :)

oldvic

Visit site
Stallions, mares and geldings can all be tricky or straightforward so it is the horse and it's nature that you are dealing with, not what it is. Valegro looks to have much more natural energy and engagement than Utopia so he looks easier to keep connected. For me, Charlotte is finding it hard to engage his hind legs and put him out in front of her so it is harder to ride with precision and without mistakes. This is not so much a negative on Charlotte's ability but more a reflection of Carl's genius.
I would agree that there was a lot of Carl's test that I liked best but the disobedience on the centre line was much more serious than Utopia's errors and Carl was riding with the future in mind so was quite careful.

Last edited:

horsedances

www.topdressage.tv
No I don't. I have ridden stallions all my professional life and have always ridden them exactly the same as anything else; why would you think there is a difference?

I don't THINK there is a difference. I KNOW from my own experiences that there is a lot of difference between riding a stallion, gelding or a mare.

TheMule

Visit site
I think Uthophia is looking better in general now than he did last year- he looks fitter for a start and is really moving through his whole body. The mistakes were just anticipation, she'll get him on side.
Dances With Wolves did some nice work but will have got penalised in his passage particularly for his hindlegs and I didnt like his piaffe either, plus his transitions arent established yet.
Voice is lovely- I dont like how Gal trains but the man is a genious when it comes to squeezing every mark out of a horse!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I don't THINK there is a difference. I KNOW from my own experiences that there is a lot of difference between riding a stallion, gelding or a mare.

I've generally found that stallions can be quite different from geldings to handle but not significantly different from geldings to ride. I certainly wouldn't set out to ride a stallion with a different style than I would to ride a gelding and my limited experience of riding specifically competition stallions is that they tend to be quite easy. As TS has said, it wouldn't really be worth the hassle of keeping them entire otherwise.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Yes, I would agree management can be different, especially at home, for turn out etc. Still, all the competing stallions I know live in temp stabling (admittedly with boards up and either on the end of the row with a tack stall or surrounded by geldings belonging to the same yard), shipped with other horses etc.

I think this has actually got easier since AI and, more lately, regumate, as few sport stallions live cover now and it's less likely to have a mare competing in raging season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't underestimate stallions and I don't think they're something everyone should have, but we are talking the very top end here.

Anyway, I think Charlotte is still building a partnership and at that level it takes time. In fact, it's quite rare for horses to change riders very successfully at GP so, so far, so good.

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
Well if I could ride as 'Bad' as Charlotte did Id be VERY happy!!!, Imo Valegro and Uti are very different horses and I don't mean stallion/gelding, and Carl and charlotte are different, length of leg etc, and what works with Valegro wont nessecarily work with Uti. It takes time to gel with new horses, not everyone is Mark Todd!!
As for stallions being ridden differently.....I don't understand that at all apart from the being aware of numpties riding over the top of you!!
All the stallions I have worked with bar one(full brother to multiple 4star winner, he was a brat!!!) have been absolute angels and much easier than hormonal mares! But imo stallions should only be allowed to keep the crown jewels if they have a perfect temperament...

cobden99

Visit site
Anyway, I think Charlotte is still building a partnership and at that level it takes time. In fact, it's quite rare for horses to change riders very successfully at GP so, so far, so good.

I would agree with this, Carl has said that Charlotte is still finding Utis buttons. I think Carl rode a safe test on a hot horse, and the momentary disobedience was reflected in the score. I think it's fantastic that we fielded a great team and both Carl and Charlotte were right up there on different horses, so we have strength in depth as well:)