To neuter or not to neuter

Princess16

Visit site
What are the pros and cons? My boy is 4 months and not sure what to do although vet says he wouldn't entertain doing it until he's 18 months.

Opinions?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Absolutely not at all at 4 months! Mines not neutered, but if he had been it wouldn't have been until he was 18 months minimum and hes a relatively small breed whippet. If you google it you can find all the research into the detrimental effects of neutering too young. Mine went through a humpy marking, hormonal phase at 18 months, and I got him the implant to see if it was actually hormones or just drama queen behaviour. He had one implant and has been fine ever since. I have no doubt it was a rush of hormones at least contributing to him being a pain in the butt, but I went for the implant as that was reversible. Hes never been a speck of bother since, and actually at the time we had a lot of upheaval going on which almost certainly tipped him over the edge.

Do your research and think long and hard about why you are doing it :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
agree with your vet-especially if he's a larger breed of dog? I find it abhorrent that so many are being neutered so young, with the owners not being informed of the longterm effects.

Princess16

Visit site
Sorry guys don't think I worded my OP correctly I was saying that my dog is currently 4 months old and I'm thinking of what to do in the future . No way would I neuter at four months ! Vet actually made good Point as I said some people say stops aggression and he said what aggression no dog should be aggressive it's how it's brought up - so true !

My little boy is staying intact until I have done my research don't worry !

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I'm glad you have a sensible vet, 18 months is a good age to review whether or not you are going to neuter. I would always spay a bitch but would weigh up the individual male before I made the decision to castrate, I would see how he matures and decide in the future. It can help behavioural problems, and reduces the risk of some cancers. I personally don't see any really cons as long as the dog is fully mature when the op is done, there is absolutely no need for a neutered dog, male or female, which some people seem to think will happen. Careful food and exercise management should see the weight remain exactly the same.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Sorry guys don't think I worded my OP correctly I was saying that my dog is currently 4 months old and I'm thinking of what to do in the future . No way would I neuter at four months !

I didn't think you were :) didn't word my answer very well (pre-coffee!). My last vets were supportive of not neutering too young but there are a lot of practices around that recommend 6-12 months and even more rescues that are doing it at 3-4 months.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Similar to MM really, I would always spay a bitch as the health benefits for them are pretty clear-cut (we're on our third pyo of the week and it's only Wednesday...!) but it's not so obvious a choice for males on health grounds. 18 months seems a sensible time to review on behavioural indications. :)

chillipup

Visit site
I've been wondering when I should get my terrier mix pup Tallulah spayed. I'm assuming it's several weeks after her first season? She's 6 months old now, so her first season could be anytime in the next few months. Am I correct in thinking this way?

CMcC

Visit site
I've been wondering when I should get my terrier mix pup Tallulah spayed. I'm assuming it's several weeks after her first season? She's 6 months old now, so her first season could be anytime in the next few months. Am I correct in thinking this way?

Vet advice used to be let them first season but I think that has changed now and they will spay before first season at about 6 months. My last one came into season 2 days before planned op so had to re-schedule.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Breeders say neuter after 2nd season.

I wouldn't neuter a boy, it's a bit pointless although did immediately solve the obsessive humping. I don't agree with the vet re aggression, two of mine are fine, one is extremely DA, same upbringing as his littermate, but he is definitely wired a bit wrong.

Here's some fairly balanced reading for you (copy and paste into browser) http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Last edited:

Umbongo

Visit site
Obvious pros to neutering are reduced risk of prostate and testicular cancers. You will also have to be careful he doesn't ever escape or get away from you and finds a bitch in heat.

My entire male collie was well brought up and trained, but very dog aggressive. He could have potentially been like that if he was neutered, who knows.

Chillipup - you can get her spayed 3 months after her season.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Bitches I would always let have a seaon, we have ours done, as Umbongo says, 3 months after their first.
Dogs - I haven't had one for a few years and we didn't get them neutered, but I would say they are a PITA uuntil they are 2, so don't panic at 18 months, after 2 they seem to grow up a bit and remember their manners.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My entire male collie was well brought up and trained, but very dog aggressive. He could have potentially been like that if he was neutered, who knows

I keep hearing that engrained behaviour like that won't change and for sure, it was true of Zak. I researched for months, read everything I could, even went to the RVC files! I decided to neuter in the hopes that he would change. He did not. He has grown calmer with further training and focus work and won't do anything unless a dog gets up in his face. I've even been told that a fear aggressive dog (as Zak appears to be) will lose his bravery after neutering. Zak didn't! He's submissive with people, not with other dogs.

Equi

Visit site
I think i love your vet. No vet i have ever heard of says 18 months, they all want them done ASAP and scoff at the idea hormones play a role in development.

I'm not anti-neuter, far from it, have all mine done. But i leave it as long as possible. My bitch was done at 3 years old, and only after she had been stolen and thankfully recovered and i never wanted to chance her being taken again and used in some sort of puppy mill. My 12yo has just been done a couple of weeks ago as his testicle was slightly swollen, so off they came. Had him only 2 years though after he was abandoned at boarding kennels.