To neuter or not to neuter?

P3LH

Visit site
As a side note one of my very good friends has a pair of vets for parents. They have 8 dogs at home. They don’t breed, they don’t show, but they’re still all intact. I find that quite telling.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's just not really done in the circles I move in, except in older females after they have been bred or dogs of either sex with big health/mental problems or other major faults, you can't do anything/go very far with a neutered animal as the whole emphasis is on 'breed worthiness' rather than points or prizes. As mentioned before, there's a level of training and supervision involved.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes, I say that because I have two entire males trained to a very high competitive standard, not allowed to roam, never left unsupervised and which I have managed to not let mate random females or piss on things/act rudely?
I'm not a random bystander in the lives of my dogs, I have some input into their daily activities without removing parts of their anatomy.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm going to go and tell the boys about their raging testosterone... 10 years and the biggest hint of its existence has been that time the Spaniel had relations with the draft excluder and the Sprollie cocking his leg on my welly to show my friend's dog that he is the Big Man.

Look at them. Raging testosterone written all over them... ?
FB_IMG_1602860596628.jpg

{97702}

Visit site
Oh I do miss the good old days of AAD where we managed to have a reasonable balanced debate - and sometimes an outright argument - without people resorting to such emotive language and being so adamant that their view is right and everyone else is wrong ?

Come back Cayla, it ain’t the same any more.....

ETA - sorry I’ve reflected on the way people interpret posts - this is NOT aimed at any one poster, there have been a number of posts in the thread which I felt could have been expressed differently

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
As I said in my initial post, I do think it’s a very personal choice. I also think people have to make an informed decision about it too, and look at all angles and factors.

For me it’s a no brainier that should I decide corgi Sherman tank will never have a litter, she’ll be speyed. The health benefits of a speyed bitch, for me, outweigh the negatives. I also hate seasons and the hassle that goes with them.

With the boys it genuinely was more complex, and it wasn’t and isn’t a static decision too. It’s something I’ve considered at various points, hence his lordship having the implant. Incidentally prior to corgi Sherman tank arriving I had the three boys, the two rough collies and the rescue tiny yorkie. He was castrated, as an individual case it was what the vet and I felt was the best option. It didn’t pan out for the best, well as I’d have hoped for him....but it was what seemed like the best choice at the time. He was an asbo male in terms of behaviour, but was also an incredibly stressed dog as a result.

I would be cautious the castrations based on my experiences with my own dogs. I don’t deal in absolutisms though so would never say never but for me, right now, it wouldn’t be something that entered my head unless there was a problem.

Its the same as vaccinations, boosters, worming, flea treatment and everything really—there’s a lot more information available than even just ten years ago. Everyone has to make the choice as to what they feel is right for them, and their dog.

NiamhB

Visit site
Thanks everyone for their input. As I said before I am almost certainly going to neuter my new dog once she is old enough. She will never be having puppies as she is a crossbreed and an odd one at that, a greyhound x Jack russell if you can believe it. Herself a result of accidental breeding.
After much research i do think that the benefits of neutering a female dog outweigh the risks.

Do i think you can keep a fully intact dog and have it well trained and prevent unplanned litters? Im sure you can.

But i also think there is something to be said for the discomfort and frustration a dog will go though during the heat especially one that will never allowed to breed if we can prevent that safely then why not? And i do think there is a serious problem with overpopulation and even one unplanned litter adds an awful weight to it.

But i do think this is a very personal choice

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I agree that the health benefits for bitches are much more clear cut in terms of prevention of pyometra and of mammary cancers; as to when to do it, I've opted out of that decision by choosing dogs ever since. ? I think I would also find it frustrating to have to accommodate seasons and potentially lose out on opportunities and entry fees if I were competing a bitch.

With dogs there appear to be fewer obvious health benefits (or at least, the conditions it prevents are rarer?) and more emphasis on behavioural factors, so it's always going to be more subjective.