To Pesoa or not to Pesoa that is the question.

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Ok, I have owned and used a Pesoa before. However, I'm not 100% sure if they are a good thing or not. So I would be interested in people opinions. The idea of them is great and I have heard many people rant and rave over them (hence the buying of one). Yet in real life when I used it I felt it sort of sea sawed on the horses mouth even when round which I didn't feel was right/fair.

So I'd like to see what others thought because tbh im on the fence :confused::confused:

moony_baboony

Visit site
i used a pessoa and thought it was quite comfy and good quality. i ahd it bout 2 1/2 yrs and then decided to get a bates caprilli. our saddle fitter showed us the gullet on the pessoa when he took it out and it was all crooked - the saddel had never been fallen on or dropped!! also my ponies jump much better in the bates as it allows to move the shoulders more and they dont cut so short on their backs :) hope this helps

vineyridge

Visit site
What kind of Pessoa? The saddles, the bubble bit (they have other bits as well), the horse rugs, the longeing rig? The Pessoas have their name on many, many different kinds of horse gear.

Tnavas

Visit site
If you are refering to the lunging system then my feelings are that it see-saws on the horses mouth so much so that some horses react very unhappily to it.

My mare was broken in one and her mouth totally stuffed up. Currently rebreaking her now using side reins to provide a steady, soft contact that she can feel confident in.

Ladylina83

Visit site
If you are refering to the lunging system then my feelings are that it see-saws on the horses mouth so much so that some horses react very unhappily to it.

My mare was broken in one and her mouth totally stuffed up. Currently rebreaking her now using side reins to provide a steady, soft contact that she can feel confident in.

I agree with this - if you are looking for more hind quater engagement I read on here something to do with side reins a roller and a tail bandage around their bum that sounded right up there with sliced bread ! I just can't find it sorry !!

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Yes should have been more specific, sorry. I meant the lunging rig. As I said, I did have one but felt the same that it seasaws and this doesn't help much. I have been asked to use it on this horse I have started riding. Problem is, he is already really heavy on the hand as it is so this will only make matters worse :s.

Thanks for all your help. I've not used side reins much. Are these better? I am looking for something so he works from behind but gets better at balance. He is really heavy on your hands so i'm looking to imrpove his balance lunging him. Yesterday I didn't use anything other than the bridle. I trotted him over some poles to try and get him working a bit better. It seemed to go down well. Any more advice on what I could use would be great . will read the forum post that was mentioned earlier.

Thanks for all your help :D

dressagelove

Visit site
Interesting. Was quite surprised to read this thread, as I think they are really very good and never noticed an issue with them on the horses mouth.

I lunge with side reins occasionally and the pessoa when not using the side reins. I can't say that mine has ever noticeably see-sawed on any of my horses mouths, but then I keep it quite loose, not that I am saying any of you are using it wrong.

I find using it occasionally really keeps my horses more engaged and teaches him not to put his head up (one of mine does this a lot!) I also worked for an event rider for two years, and when he got wind of me owning one he made me bring it to the yard so we could lunge all of his in it.

I think used in moderation and correctly they are very valuable.