To plait or not to plait

bheb2186

Visit site
Help, been getting conflicting advice...I have a part bred Welsh yearling and am looking to take him out to some in hand youngstock classes, purely for him to experience the showground environment. Majority of people iv spoken to say to plait him but the most recent judge I spoke to, who judges m&m and part bred classes said she wouldn't expect to see a part bred plaited. Help...what do I do?

be positive

Visit site
I would always plait a pb as they are being shown as a riding type, so if a pony it will probably be a future show hunter pony/ show pony which would be plaited, if a horse it will be a hunter/ riding horse/ hack etc. so even as a yearling it should be turned out to type.
The only exception would be a heavy type of cross such as a Dales x cob that may be more of a traditional and would not suit plaiting and trimming.

minesadouble

Visit site
Not sure who the judge you spoke to was but am guessing unaffiliated - always plait for pbw and turn out to type SP or SHP :)

bheb2186

Visit site
Thanks everyone, wonder why the judge said unplaited? Would we be discriminated against if he wasn't plaited?

catroo

Visit site
What classes are you doing with him? I would also plait and trim unless he looks full M&M and you are doing something like native type

What show was the judge judging at?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of confusion over the difference between a part bred and an unregistered-which to me are two totally different things. A part bred would be plaited and an unregistered would not.

bheb2186

Visit site
At the moment he's an unregistered part bred as there was confusion with the wpcs and a form submitted by his breeder. We'll be doing youngstock classes and part bred youngstock classes only