To pull or not to pull...

Casey76

Visit site
I'm in two minds of what to do about my youngster. Occasionally I'll lop three ins off his tail when it hits the ground, and I've barely touched his mane.

Now I'm doing more with him I'm wondering if I should pull his mane or just leave it as it is... then if I do pull it, how short should I cut his tail?

Sorry for the mud - he was straight out of the field:

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

And a better body shot from a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_1590.jpg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He would look so smart trimmed up - although I must admit I can't bear long manes or tails.

if he were mine his mane would be pulled short, with his forlock left more or less alone until the flies have gone.

His tail would be chopped, again a little longer at this time of year because of the flies - say an inch or so below his chestnut.

lelly

Visit site
I would trim him up too. I've just done my two year olds mane and she looks fantastic. I don't like really short tails so cut hers about four inches above her fetlock.

Casey76

Visit site
Well I decided it's coming off :)

Sorry the photos are so bad, it is really difficult to photograph black unless the light is perfect :/

After a bit of a brush, and the very ends taken off...

IMG_1642.jpg

After I finished for today (I didn't want to do it all at once since it was the first time)

IMG_1644.jpg

And t'other side ;)
IMG_1647.jpg

PolarSkye

Visit site
He looks lovely trimmed up a little. I'm afraid I'm a member of the "bang tidy" brigade and my horse has his mane pulled regularly, any errant hairs removed from his fetlocks (he doesn't really have feather) and whiskers removed. I just like horses to be smart and tidy . . . but I don't have a native or a native type and when we had the Nell and Kate (two beautiful cobs) we left them hairy but made sure they were clean and shiny.

I don't, however, pull his tail.

P

Casey76

Visit site
A good bit of kit is available from S M A R T G R O O M I N G under the name of smart tails,superb for manes and tails,leaves a good finish..

Oooh no... I don't do pulled tails at all :eek:

Blitz is really easy to pull in the "traditional" sense, so I won't be using mane rakes to thin it either ;)

Casey76

Visit site
He looks lovely trimmed up a little. I'm afraid I'm a member of the "bang tidy" brigade and my horse has his mane pulled regularly, any errant hairs removed from his fetlocks (he doesn't really have feather) and whiskers removed. I just like horses to be smart and tidy . . . but I don't have a native or a native type and when we had the Nell and Kate (two beautiful cobs) we left them hairy but made sure they were clean and shiny.

I don't, however, pull his tail.

P

I could never take his whiskers off, but his beard will be coming off in winter :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm in two minds of what to do about my youngster. Occasionally I'll lop three ins off his tail when it hits the ground, and I've barely touched his mane.

Now I'm doing more with him I'm wondering if I should pull his mane or just leave it as it is... then if I do pull it, how short should I cut his tail?

Sorry for the mud - he was straight out of the field:

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

And a better body shot from a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_1590.jpg

I don't go for pulled tails or mane, sorry I preferred it before.

Casey76

Visit site
The show is nearly upon us, and I've just about finished shortening Blitzs mane (did one practice plait this evening to check length.

We've gone from:
35B19E01-4352-4126-9EEB-A58D847202D7.jpg

to:
IMG_1661.jpg

It looks really short in the photo, but is still about 5,5ins long.

LeannePip

Visit site
Brilliant transformation! Love PS's 'Bang Tidy' Brigade!

I would still chop another few inches off the tail just think it 'balances' the picture more - but i cut to hocks in winter to avoid mud so its not really the done thing!