To put down or not? head and heart fighting!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
thanks once again for all replies - it is facinating how the same thread is read differently by people prompting such a raw discussion.

Buddy was in so much pain in the field today he came in sweated from head to toe. He obviously did something out there to really twinge something today. If I don't touch him he is happy, as soon as I go to stroke him his ears go back and he shows me his teeth.

I spoke with RoR's equine management and training today who have suggested a thermal imaging scan which will give me an idea of where he is in pain and where the primary problem area is and which is compensatory - this will hopefully give me a better idea.

I am not looking at pts after 5 weeks cos I dont have the time or inclination to rehab him - I am worried he has reached and gone beyond his pain threshold and it is not improving an ounce and might not. I have looked after a previous horse on 100% box rest for a pelvis fracture whilst working and training - I am not work shy. Believe me pts is not the easy way out but infact I believe the harder decision - I will do what is best for the horse and him alone. :eek:

I'm sorry your horse was in so much pain last night - and contrary to the evidence, I really do feel for you.

I have said many times before that I would defend anyones rights to have an animal put to sleep - for any reason, as long as that person was being honest about the reasons, and not trying to justify it for another reason (sorry that doesn't make particular sense). Anyway, that's by the by.

If what you have said here is true - that he was in so much pain that he was sweated from head to toe - I think I probably would have had the huntsman out last night.

I hope you have a swift resolution - whatever the outcome.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
Having had my best friend PTS in January I know how hard it is. I had no choice it had to be done, and although not in pain at the time the spark had gone and I could see he was struggling. We could have kept him going but no he went at the right time. I'm now faced with the same decision but fingers crossed not just yet. My new horse has been diagnosed with Ringbone, it's taken awhile for him to come sound.

Even when he was lame he was happy, had a sparkle in his eye and a zest for life. And as long as it's still there and he's happy, lame or sound he will stay. But like Taz he will tell me when enough is enough, OP you too will know. What ever you decide it's right for your horse first and foremost. That's what matters most. (((hugs))) whatever you decide x

Beany1800

Visit site
thanks once again all.

Last night my friend who shares our yard had got it wrong - having checked him, he hadn't sweated up yesterday - she hadn't seen him since he had come back from vets and of course, his coat is still ungroomed and looks like its recovering from major sweating after his time at the vets (he is too sore to groom so am leaving him to be more comfortable).

I have now arranged for thermal imager to come out - this should give me a very good idea aas to where the pain is, the extent of any damage, etc so I should be able to make an informed decision.

Will let you all know how it goes.

indie999

Visit site
I think your horses deserves to be given a chance, so no, now knowing what your vets have said I would not put him down.

Owning a horse can often mean that there will be a period of time where injury or illness results in the horse having a significant period of time off. This is the situation you are now in. You can't empty a bullet in to his head just because it's inconvenient.

So in my view I would follow the recommended advice of your vet and give your horse every opportunity to recover.

If after that period of time he is not recovered then obviously you review your situation.

Family life is no reason to put a horse down.

My vet wrote my horse off and told me he MAY never be ridden again. I rested him and after 3 months he was still not right. Rested again(6 months later) was walked in hand, built him up slowly(he was a pain in the neck) but after a year I got another 3 years out of him albeit never 100% did go short but it was worth it. Time can be a healer but perhaps not. You could get a new horse and end up with the same or a problem etc and still be a young mother with children still and no horse to ride. I do know people this has happened to. I dont blame you for not spending anymore on xrays etc etc but could you turn him away for the winter and try again after a few months off. If after bringing back to work there are still problems and no progress if the horse is no good as a companion then PTS but I do agree completely with the response above. Re the young family rather than risk buying another horse and ending up same why not hire a horse to go hunting etc whilst you give the horse a chance, than have the heartache predicament that you find yourself in. Sick horses are so time consuming.

annunziata

Visit site
Ohh my heart goes out to you!!! I made the same descision with my beautiful ex racer last year. I was in the same situation as you but I made the untimate desision and kissed him good bye. He had a hole in his stiffle bone and would never even with surgery come sound and may have broken down properly in the field, he was in pain and only 11 years old. I wish you all the luck and hope it all works out for you. PM me if you want to chat
xxx

charleysummer

Visit site
I really feel sorry for you and i dont think it is fair that people are telling you to keep the horse alive through the pain tbh- but of course i am just stating another opinion which is no more valid than anybody elses.

I would certainly put the horse to sleep, there is nothing wrong with death, it is simply the end of life- not a sentance to an eternity of darkness and gloom which it tends to have subconcious connotations for !

There is no point saying that you can't end a horses life due to family and personal reasons, because the truth is that yes you can in these situations where no body else is going to be willing to take on the horse; otherwize the horse ends up experiencing a degree of neglect which cannot be helped by the most loving owner if they cannot split themselves in two to look after the horse with demanding needs. That is not to say that the owner is selfish, it is responsible and i think its sad that many people get their names dragged through dirt for putting horses down when it is the better option- if sometimes the better of two evils. This situation would only tend to occur for the unsellable horse and there is going to be a good reason why it can't be sold.

Not aimed at anybody in particular, I havent read all of the comments just wanted to express an opinion.

chantellemorris

Visit site
Im so sorry for you big man. I personally wouldnt! Unless the vet says he is in unbearable pain. If bute was going to subside the pain then i would! I would rather keep my life long friend than put him down jist for a new one. Freddie has bone spavin and im lucky enough to afford another but if i couldnt i would never put him down because i couldnt afford two. If your boy is happy and cab live pain free with bute then dont do it :( i really hope he gets better ! But as the saying goes "follow your heart" let us know about your descision! I hope he gets better

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I haven't read all the replies, but just wanted to add a couple of things

i had a P2Per breakdown very badly years ago, & after 18 months of rehab/turnout he came sound enough to do light hacking/schooling, he has always been an angel to do & is happy in/out, or whatever, he has a wonderful loan home & is now at 19 enjoying a happy retirement,

then about 5 years ago, i had a hunter diagnosed with kissing spines, he was a live & breathe hunting horse, hated hacking, kicked, didn't like being in AT ALL (unless he was plaited up to go hunting & he would stand like a rock!) after lengthy discussions with my vet we had him PTS, yes, horses recover from KS surgery & return to 'normal' work, but they couldn't guarentee it, & i took the decision that if after all the rehab I had a horse that couldn't be the horse he used to be... i'd have put him through all that for no reason, as he just wasn't safe to loan out & be a hack

so.... i would take into consideration his tendonitis, (having had another horse with a mild/stable tendonitis, whom we sold to do light hacking) do you think he'll recover enough to be put out on loan as a hack? if not then, i would consider how he would react to living a quiet retirement...some horses cope really well.... others just don't & take that into consideration too

(& i for one really don't like seeing really lame horses hobbling about through wet fields in the winter....

Blaise

Visit site
You have my complete sympathy. I'm finding myself in a similar situation at the moment, my TB mare has been diagnosed with quite a bad case of facet joint arthritis, and after steroid injections, physio ect... is still as bad as ever, if not getting worse. On a day to day basis in the field she seems comfortable at the moment but when asked to do anything involving bending, poles etc which was meant to be part of her rehab program you can see the reluctance and discomfort. This is all in hand by the way, we made the decision to retire her from ridden work as she refuses point blank to have anything- even a roller on her back. She is on daily bute so we can try to determine whether this issue is actual pain or memory but almost 3 weeks on bute she still refuses to have anything on so i'm starting to think it's a psychological issue with them rather than a physical. We have decided to throw absolutley everything at her for as long as she is field sound and the insurance runs, then re-evaluate. She cant really live on high doses of bute as also had stomach ulcers which have cleared now but may re-occur if on long term bute. She seems physically comfortable in the field but i often finding her just staring into space, she's always enjoyed doing things and was one of the most bomproof horses i've had but jumps at silly little things now and is far more short tempered than she used to be. She still loves food though and looks well so i really don't know what to think.

I'm sure you will know what is best for your boy and whatever decision you come to will be the right one by him. One thing i am glad you're not considering is the companion route. In my opinion PTS is preferable to loaning to a companion home, although i'm sure there are plenty of genuine ones out there it's a risk i'd never take. Keep us updated :)

hessy12

Visit site
My thoughts are to give him more time. 5 weeks is not very long. I say this because my horse recovered so much with rest, he is now sound and off bute and fit to hunt. Of course it might not be the same for your lad, but I would try to give him another month at least. My horse had 6 months off and came sound. He is now 18.
Rest can achieve wonders and my vet agrees with this wholeheartedly. I am trying not to be emotional here, but it's hard, as I really feel for you.
If you rest him, can you go for long walks or bike rides to keep your sanity? (well that's what I have to do if I cannot ride, otherwise I go crazy!)
Ultimately it is your decision and I agree a tough one. I really wish I could do more, but rest assured I've been through this and I'm so glad for me the time helped my horse. I think I've now got emotional and I'll stop now....
Hugs and more hugs for youxxxx

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I agree with Amymay and the others here - 5 weeks is NO time at all! Christ my horse has been lame for about that recently and he is 20! I knew pretty much was an abscess though but i am still not 100% convinced there's not anything else going on. I would get a decent physio to give your horse a treatment to relax tight muscles in his back and then maybe just give him some time off to recuperate?

In horse ownership you have to prepare yourself for the fact that your horse could be out of work for a sustained period WHATEVER its age as you never know what's going to happen. Sure, if your horse had more severe issues and was going to only get worse not better then I may consider the PTS (although I probably wouldn't choose to as have space to let them retire in a field). If you'd been struggling to keep hiom sound for a year or so and he was older then maybe PTS would be the option now.

You wouldn't be able to get any money by having him PTS anyway if he's insured as it wouldn't be under BEVA guidlines so, if I were younI'd give him a few months off (we're coming in to winetr anyway so how often would you ride?) and maybe reevaluate in the spring. What's the rush in getting out riding anyway? I would rather take time getting my horse back to full soundness than give up and get rid just because I can't be bothered to take things slowly in building him back up to soundness.

Many of us have been in exactly the same situation - with a horse needing significant re-hab.

For me - with one particular horse - it would have been very difficult to do the riding work that was required due to the time of year (winter) and working full time.

I paid someone to do the walking and fittening work.

If family life means that you can't care for your animal in the appropriate manner then animals shouldn't be part of your life.

Maybe not to Joe Bloggs down the High Street but if I were the owner of this horse then it would matter a great deal to me. To be frank the decision is that of the owner and no-one else's. With the information given I know what I'd do if it were my horse and it obviously wouldn't be the same as what you would do CPTrayes. I believe in looking after my horses to the best of my ability and giving them every chance of success (including life) even if that success may not turn out to be the sort of success I had been expecting.

I couldnt put it better myself!

Agree with this. A HORSE IS FOR LIFE,NOT JUST FOR ENJOYMENT OR WHEN YOU CAN ONLY RIDE IT.YOU SHOULD TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD.

MadisonBelle

Visit site
I think your horses deserves to be given a chance, so no, now knowing what your vets have said I would not put him down.

Owning a horse can often mean that there will be a period of time where injury or illness results in the horse having a significant period of time off. This is the situation you are now in. You can't empty a bullet in to his head just because it's inconvenient.

So in my view I would follow the recommended advice of your vet and give your horse every opportunity to recover.

If after that period of time he is not recovered then obviously you review your situation.

Family life is no reason to put a horse down.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!

EstherYoung

Visit site
I always worried that we wouldn't know when to call it a day with our old TB who had numerous health problems. But when it came to it, we knew. We absolutely knew. Not a day too early, not a day too late. It was just the right thing to do.

I'd say if you're still having the wrestle with the decision, you're not there yet.

Hopefully your scans will give you a clearer picture as to the long term prognosis.

cptrayes

Visit site
A HORSE IS FOR LIFE,NOT JUST FOR ENJOYMENT OR WHEN YOU CAN ONLY RIDE IT.YOU SHOULD TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD.

Sharon I do not agree with you. You see, when you consider keeping your own horse retired and not able to be ridden, that is something that you personally would enjoy. If it constantly made you feel bad, you would not do it. It would make you personally feel good to do that for an animal you love. There are other people who are wired differently from you, who would not find it enjoyable to look after a horse that cannot be ridden and be unable to afford to ride another; they would find it very depressing and very stressful. If you are among the people who would feel good about looking after an unrideable horse and being unable to afford to keep another one, then that's fine. But it isn't a reason why other people for whom that situation would be very depressing should keep an unsound horse alive when they can give it a good and peaceful death. The horse does not care, only you do.

SusieT

Visit site
'thanks for your comments - I have already had so many x-rays/scans I am not sure how much more I would geet on insurance!! - vets are 50/50 - saying he has a lot going on, the chronic longterm tendonitis on both fronts - he may come sound enough to work after lots of rest so we could treat him with bute, and rest and see how he goes but also that they think it totally understandable if he was to be put down.

I believe that with rest of a few months he is likey to be sound. Then it would be a question of months of road work in walk to strengthen tendons, then onto trot etc. I am a mum with young children and cannot work him everyday. Holidays etc. Will I be able to do anything with him if I can get him fit without the legs breaking down on me? a million dollar question that no-one not event the vets can predict. '

Right, so try the rest. If you aren't willing to put the work into trying a horse that the vets say may well come sound, you shouldn't be considering buying another horse (before or after thsi one pts) as that's part of horse ownership

rachmacypixie111

Visit site
God I am sooo angry - do you people just get horses for what you want - to compete etc???

A horse is for life - if you cant compete anymore SO *******ing what!! Why do you not even consider giving it a new home!!!

So *******ing angry - that horse doesnt deserve you!

I know I am going to get loads of nasty replies on here but just give the horse a chance - if not with you then with somebody else! Couldnt a horse make a companion if it was that bad? - just try for *******s sake!

Why is it always - Oh my horse isnt doing what I wanted it to to do so lets kill it!

Spring Feather

Visit site
rachmacypixie111 you need to calm down a little. People will do what people want to do and you can't force them to accept your way alone. People often listen more to calm and measured responses than rants. The OP has made no decision, she is weighing up the pros and cons and after she's had further tests done she will have a better idea of what she's up against.

Syrah

Visit site
God I am sooo angry - do you people just get horses for what you want - to compete etc???

A horse is for life - if you cant compete anymore SO *******ing what!! Why do you not even consider giving it a new home!!!

So *******ing angry - that horse doesnt deserve you!

I know I am going to get loads of nasty replies on here but just give the horse a chance - if not with you then with somebody else! Couldnt a horse make a companion if it was that bad? - just try for *******s sake!

Why is it always - Oh my horse isnt doing what I wanted it to to do so lets kill it!

I think you need to step away from the puter and calm down.

This horse has a chronic condition, not an injury that could come good. The horse is in pain. Read back a few posts from the OP.

rachmacypixie111

Visit site
Yeh - I am mad - but only beacuse there are other options

I suppose I am never welcome on this forum agian!

Sorry but that is the way I feel - I have seen 2 young dressage horses and an event horse put to sleep beacuse they couldnt do that.

Sorry it makes me sad

rhino

Visit site
he has been diagnosed with chrinic tendonitis on both front legs. His back muscles are so tight and sore from compensating, He is obviously in some pain.

he has CHRONIC TENDONITIS - as in very damaged tendons from years of flat racing and point to point. - this is not going to go away and at best only managed.

Buddy was in so much pain in the field today he came in sweated from head to toe. He obviously did something out there to really twinge something today. If I don't touch him he is happy, as soon as I go to stroke him his ears go back and he shows me his teeth.

I am worried he has reached and gone beyond his pain threshold and it is not improving an ounce and might not.

For the people who clearly can't be bothered to actually read the thread. This horse may recover enough (after prolonged box rest) to be a light hack - probably requiring daily bute to function. He will not magically get better. He is in pain. (I realise with the final quote that he had not sweated up in the field that day).

I am facing something similar with my old boy at the moment - sdft and check ligament damage, aggravated by being an idiot in the field but almost certainly with some degree of underlying degeneration. He is currently on box rest and intensive cold therapy/equissage - basically everything I can throw at him. At the back of my mind is a horrible feeling that I'm doing it for me and not him, a feeling that I'm finding it very hard to come to terms with. What if I put him through a rehabilitation programme (a year to 18 months) and he doesn't heal, or he is turned out and does the same again? Is that fair, to be stuck in a stable for weeks on end?

He is not in pain and is 'sound' and settled being in so I am trying to stay positive, I don't care if I don't ride him again, but I certainly wouldn't blame someone for resenting the fact they can't ride. OP - good luck with what ever you decide, such a horrible decision to have to make :(

Last edited:

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I have read through most not all the posts, to the op your first post is different to the next so that is why you received differing replies, You gave alot more explanation with second.

We have all sorts of horses but we do have racers, I even buy and sell a bit but alaways give a horse a chance of recovery if it has one.

I understand some people cant afford to turn away but I have to say if you dont have time or finances or interest to turn away or rehab then an ex racer was the wrong choice of horse for you, these horses need time and understanding and quite often rest or rehabing.

I hope your horse makes a recovery and you find a good resolution.

lula

Visit site
Does anyone agree with anything I have said?

If PTS is an option - why isnt re-home, even as a companion an option?

rach, maybe you want to take a look at HOW you say things rather than what you actually say
you had a very judgmental rant on another thread tonight where you jumped in without reading the thread properly where the OP was asking advice on her horse that was becoming unmanageable to the extent people around her had suggested she put the horse to sleep. She however didn't want to take that option but you weren't hearing that and were antagonistic, accusatory and plain rude. The OP didnt deserve that and it puts people off posting.

you may have a point in what you say but the way you speak to people just gets my (i can only speak for myself ) back up.

rachmacypixie111

Visit site
rach, maybe you want to take a look at HOW you say things rather than what you actually say
you had a very judgmental rant on another thread tonight where you jumped in without reading the thread properly where the OP was asking advice on her horse that was becoming unmanageable to the extent people around her had suggested she put the horse to sleep. She however didn't want to take that option but you weren't hearing that and were antagonistic, accusatory and plain rude. The OP didnt deserve that and it puts people off posting.

you may have a point in what you say but the way you speak to people just gets my (i can only speak for myself ) back up.

I am sorry lula if it came off that way