To rug or not a 2year old.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
I have 2 year old Reg Connemara which is out naked 24/7.

What does everyone do with theirs. Other than dropping weight what other reasons do you rugs for?

ThePony

Visit site
If he seems cold, or if it is particularly wet and windy then I would rug. If he doesn't need it then no benefit to rugging! If you have worries over weight and warmth then I would ensure he has good shelter and adlib hay before opting to rug.

Bovril

Visit site
the only other reason to rug up would be if he was cold, but if the weight is staying on and he isn't clipped then he should be ok, with out knowing him but knowing the breed a little I would say unless he looks or feels cold he should be fine out 24/7 with no rug it's how they were intended to live after all!!

posie_honey

Visit site
i only rug for riding - ie to keep coat thin/when clipped and to keep clean - if my horse was roughed off i'd not rug unless there was weight loss

Bovril

Visit site
it's hard sometimes to look at them and not think how cold it gets over night, we wouldn't be the good mumies we are if we didn't spoil them a bit LOL

Theresa_F

Visit site
Stinky had a rug on between 18 months and 2 1/2 old as the field has no natural shelter and I didn't like him coming in soaked through and then having to stand wet in a stable.

He had a no fill t/o and that did the trick. It also got him used to having things on his back and when it came to putting on the saddle, I just placed it on him and did up the girth and he had no reaction - and though he is a steady sort, I think rugging did help him accept the saddle.

At 2 1/2 he had a trace clip as he was getting so hot and very sweaty running around playing with Cairo, and again I didn't want him to stand wet in the stable when he came in. He then had a LW t/o and a LW stable rug.

CrazyMare

Visit site
My 2yr old is currently unrugged - she wore a fly rug all summer (next to cows so it was essential) then was rugged to the eyeballs between August & October as she had some important shows, then she was roughed off and is furry as anything.

She should go all winter now without needing to be rugged as I don't turn them out in truely disgusting wet weather as they both just trash the gateway.

Flash_28

Visit site
I have a 19 month old colt that has rugs on and have the heavier rugs clean and ready to go if and when the winter really kicks in. He was a rescue and isn't up to weight yet so I obviously want him warm so that he can use his feed to put on the extra condition and hopefully grow a tad!

Although I have 2 NF's who I've had since yearlings and they were left out naked, although the land was very sheltered and if weather was terrible they would have an old style NZ put on or put into the stable. Although over the years they are rather spoilt and have far too many rugs!

mcnaughty

Visit site
My Welsh A 2yo is unrugged and I have every intention to keep him that way until he has icicles hanging off his tum tum...

I must be strong, I must be strong.

He is really very very fat and needs to shiver off a few pounds.

My foal though which is tb x belg wb x ID starting shivering about a month ago and I stuck a rug straight on her - only an Amigo rain sheet with no fill though - just to keep the worst of the wind and rain off.

I was always told that it is not the rain that gets them cold, nor the cold it is the combination of the two so was probably looking at not putting anything on Welshie until the temps are minus and it is raining/sleeting too and even then it will only be the lightweight Amigo. I wouldn't be aiming at keeping him warm, just dry. He can do warm with his winter woolies.

Fi

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I thought I was the only one who didnt rug reading other posts. He is warm even with all the rain and winds we have had. I will be giving him ad lib hay in winter and the field has a field shelter. I will only put one on if he looses condition.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cheapest I could find! Stinky has gone from a 5'3 to a 6'3 in the five years I owned him, on average a new set of rugs each year and in the first year, he needed 5'3 in December and 5'6s by March.

He is now 6 and I still look for bargains as I think he may end up a 6'6 as he is still filling out.

Cedars

Visit site
Puzzle is currently out unrugged (17months) and is super hairy. However, with the sheeting rain at the moment I got their today and in the 12+ hours it hadnt been raining the tips were dry but she was still sopping at skin level. So now not sure whether she should be rugged as she must be really uncomfortable.

Bedlam

Visit site
Because my yearling is a horse and has been provided with her own weatherproofed insulation in the form of a winter coat, and because she isn't starving or living in Antarctica, I think I'll leave her unrugged.........LOL!

Visit site
ahhh a post very close to my heart.

i've had my yearling (Annie) and my 2yr old (Grace) for two weeks. When we picked them, up i swore blind to the other half that under no circumstances would i rug these horses! nor would they step foot in a stable... (he does the mucking out!) it was on these terms he agreed :)

Now, i have to admit to having a rug fetish... i collect.. buy... sell... generally hoard rug's at a rare rate. In the two weeks the mini's have a new full wardrobe.

I think it was two nights ago... maybe 3? but we had the most awful weather...wet and windy- but id say about 6oc? The girls in the morning were soaked through and stood by the gate, heads down, suicidal sid! I brought them in and took the chance to introduce them to their first rugs.... very handy/light wick a ways. They were unphased.

Following that, i have turned them out in LW full neck amigo's. They dont sweat up underneath them and aren't soaked through as before. I don't plan to progress into anything heavier unless we have a great freeze!

If your's is up to weight and has a thick coat, i really wouldnt worry. As long as he/she has shelter, they'll be fine. Mine are both TB's so woosy and thin skinned.

if you do decide to make some purchases, may i recommend Ebay. I have kitted my girls out in full Rambo/Rhino/Amigo rugs 4 each and it has cost £100 a head. These rugs new are £100-£250 each. As they grow out of the rugs i will re-list them and get my money back. Horsewear rugs fit mine perfectly, they seem to be narrower in the front, which suit the gangly mini's.

x x

abbieandfiona

Visit site
My 2 year old has spent so far this winter with no rug on she is a highland pony, who is out all the time, she came in with my other mare yest and seemed to be cold. Has a temp and guessing she caught a virus so shes now got a l/w shires rug on just to keep her dry has tiny bit of fill in it but not enough to get overwarm in.