To run or not to run....

Michen

Visit site
Boggle and I are entered for Swalcliffe 80 this weekend, then he is running next weekend at Munstead 100 with rider.

I haven't jumped since last Saturday and can't get a lesson in before Sunday (don't like jumping without instructor as doesn't help the nerves), haven't been able to ride all week (though he has been ridden all week!). The weather is shocking, I'm currently in a hotel with a full day of work to do today and will need to tomorrow from home as well and I'm shattered mentally and physically. Under a huge amount of pressure with work, no bad thing but it is a bit all consuming and horses seem like another life at the moment. I'm guessing Swalcliffe will be a mud pit and I'm worried about skidding around into muddy SJ fences (Boggle hates mud despite hunting!) and loosing confidence when its so fragile.

But, it's a big ask for a horse to do his first 100 with no lower prep run (and he's only run 3 times at 90 last year, the rest were 80's), even just the reminder about going around an XC I would think is fairly important to make sure he doesn't go overly green about fence judges etc when going straight in at a bigger height. I have no reason to think he would, but you never know how they are going to come out...

So, assuming Swalcliffe runs, do I pull myself together and stop whining/making excuses, or withdraw and avoid the possible lost of confidence/miserable day if it's muddy and slippery and hope Boggle remains as mature as he was last season and has no issues going straight in at 100? If he wasn't entered for Munstead next weekend, I'd be withdrawing from Swalcliffe this weekend without hesitation, on the basis that my brain is currently buzzing with financial year end targets and a day of doing nothing on Sunday is far more appealing!

Last edited:

VRIN

Visit site
You can always go along and do whatever you feel comfortable with - do the dressage and see how you feel about the SJ etc.... Often when feeling overloaded at work, pushing yourself on to do something 'fun' for yourself proves (with hindsight) to be the best thing for your sense of well being.

Michen

Visit site
You can always go along and do whatever you feel comfortable with - do the dressage and see how you feel about the SJ etc.... Often when feeling overloaded at work, pushing yourself on to do something 'fun' for yourself proves (with hindsight) to be the best thing for your sense of well being.

That’s true though it’s the getting ready and the drive etc that’s more the effort, a lot of faff for just a dressage test.

Heading home today so will try and get back in horsey mode... sounds so ungrateful doesn’t it!

vickie123

Visit site
Not sure where you are in the country Michen but I’ve noticed the wind is really drying the ground out in between the rain so it might be ok for Sunday. I’m with VRIN, after a stressful week it might be just what you need to blow the cobwebs away and you may end up kicking yourself that you didn’t do the 80 if things don’t quite go according to plan at the 100. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm a very personal decisision but if it were me (who also can’t stand the faff sometimes) I’d maybe organise a xc lesson so he gets out, if he hasn’t done much xc lately. Maybe get his rider to jump him 100 so he’s got that under his belt. Although didn’t he go out recently xc, so he’ll prob be fine next weekend?!

Equally, you’ll be losing money and it might just blow away the cobwebs and set you up nicely to have a fun run out.

I’ve had occasions when stuff has been cancelled due to the weather and I’ve not been that bothered as I’ve had a lovely non horsey day instead.

Michen

Visit site
Hmm a very personal decisision but if it were me (who also can’t stand the faff sometimes) I’d maybe organise a xc lesson so he gets out, if he hasn’t done much xc lately. Maybe get his rider to jump him 100 so he’s got that under his belt. Although didn’t he go out recently xc, so he’ll prob be fine next weekend?!

Equally, you’ll be losing money and it might just blow away the cobwebs and set you up nicely to have a fun run out.

I’ve had occasions when stuff has been cancelled due to the weather and I’ve not been that bothered as I’ve had a lovely non horsey day instead.

Yep he’s been XC and jumped around the flagged tweseldown 100. It’s more just the reminder about gallop jump concentrate that I felt a run was needed at a smaller height first, didn’t think it mattered whether it was 80 or 90 as hardly any difference in it technicality wise. Tbf boggle has never been green or distracted during XC so not sure why I am assuming he would be. Maybe because he’s beyond pleased with himself at the moment and may get carried away!

Michen

Visit site
Not sure where you are in the country Michen but I’ve noticed the wind is really drying the ground out in between the rain so it might be ok for Sunday. I’m with VRIN, after a stressful week it might be just what you need to blow the cobwebs away and you may end up kicking yourself that you didn’t do the 80 if things don’t quite go according to plan at the 100. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Thank you that’s very kind. I’ve been in an office/city for three days so haven’t gauged mud levels!

Michen

Visit site
The blurb says Munstead runs on sand. It will be fine.

Munstead is next weekend, Swalcliffe is this weekend and not on sand. They usually end up abandoning their March event so not sure the ground usually holds up well.

be positive

Visit site
You have fairly late times so I would plan to go and see how the ground is holding up once you get there, you can easily retire after you sj if you are concerned and he still gets the benefit of an outing if it does not end up being abandoned in the meantime.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Munstead is next weekend, Swalcliffe is this weekend and not on sand. They usually end up abandoning their March event so not sure the ground usually holds up well.

Sorry! Misread. I'd pull.

Michen

Visit site
You have fairly late times so I would plan to go and see how the ground is holding up once you get there, you can easily retire after you sj if you are concerned and he still gets the benefit of an outing if it does not end up being abandoned in the meantime.

True, but if he doesn’t go XC this weekend I’m not sure whether I shouldn’t be seriously thinking about withdrawing from munstead? He jumped the flagged 100 tweseldown with no issue bar dumping A into the skinny arrow brush thing at first look!

It just seems like a big ask as a first run especially given he’s not actually even had that much experience at 90

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I doubt Boggle will need a run at 80 to get back into it as he sounds confident and keen.

I had a couple of events last year when I was similarly busy and nearly pulled out but never did. Too tight!!
I was always fine once I was actually setting off as opposed to thinking about it and always had a blast once there. But only you know whether you will enjoy it once you are there or will just feel over-cooked and over-busy. In which case pull out and have a chilled weekend instead. I don't think you NEED to go so just do whatever you think you'd be better off doing for your own well-being. x

ihatework

Visit site
If it helps I’ve just pulled my horse from his first run (although under slightly different circumstances as we were on waitlist), and that it with pretty much perfect prep and a pro on board. The weather is vile, the ground can’t be anything other than disgusting and I can’t see anything fun about travelling miles and paying lots of money!

But in your shoes I’d hang on until the day, you might find it’s abandoned anyway and you get a refund. Then you can assess your own mental zen and whether you are in the right frame of mood to compete.

I’m not sure an 80 will set him up for 100 anyway, especially as he has been hunting all winter. If you feel you need a run the Beaufort are running their TC on Sunday, it’s great turf and the Novice is like a decent 90 and solidly built. They also have a pairs class. You could try and get a late entry or fill a withdrawal in a team

Fiona

Visit site
It sounds like your head isn't in the right place for Sunday Michen...

However luckily as it is Sunday rather than Saturday, there is a lot to be said for coming home, getting yourself settled, and having a ride on Sat morning and seeing how you feel at that stage.

I'm sure you're tired (posting at 4am :0)

Good luck

FIona

Michen

Visit site
If it helps I’ve just pulled my horse from his first run (although under slightly different circumstances as we were on waitlist), and that it with pretty much perfect prep and a pro on board. The weather is vile, the ground can’t be anything other than disgusting and I can’t see anything fun about travelling miles and paying lots of money!

But in your shoes I’d hang on until the day, you might find it’s abandoned anyway and you get a refund. Then you can assess your own mental zen and whether you are in the right frame of mood to compete.

I’m not sure an 80 will set him up for 100 anyway, especially as he has been hunting all winter. If you feel you need a run the Beaufort are running their TC on Sunday, it’s great turf and the Novice is like a decent 90 and solidly built. They also have a pairs class. You could try and get a late entry or fill a withdrawal in a team

Helpful advice thank you! It would be ideal for them to abandon and get a refund though they’ve posted the schedule and it seems all systems go.

Equally I don’t think a 90 makes much more difference than an 80 in setting them up for a 100, I can’t say I’ve ever noticed much if any difference in technicality between 80-90 other than a fence closer to the water perhaps and of course the height itself. It was more just gettting him back into the rhythm of “going XC” as, like you say he’s been hunting all season and may need a little settling down which is easier to do around an 80 than a 100 where he will need to have his emotions more under control. I suspect he may need something more than a snaffle now but a bit unknown really. Also helpful to remind him that lots of horses on grass does not necessarily mean hunting ;)

I probably wouldn’t be up for the team chase currently (bit big, fast and furious!) and don’t have rider this weekend so that’s not really an option for us though a good idea!

Sod it, will decide on Saturday and see what the weather is doing. At least I have another day!

Michen

Visit site
It sounds like your head isn't in the right place for Sunday Michen...

However luckily as it is Sunday rather than Saturday, there is a lot to be said for coming home, getting yourself settled, and having a ride on Sat morning and seeing how you feel at that stage.

I'm sure you're tired (posting at 4am :0)

Good luck

FIona

And a nap!!! I think I’m running on about 3/4 hours sleep a night this week so actually, this decision is best made tomorrow- you are right :)

What a pathetic problem to have eh, should I or should I not take my lovely willing horse out to do a sport I am privileged to be able to do... or not. Must get a grip and some perspective 😃

Bernster

Visit site
So they say! 😂 it’s usually fun after when you have a burger in your mouth and a nice photo in your hand... and a feeling of accomplishment having survived the dizzying heights of 80cm ;)

Yep that’s what does it for me too! Although in my case I can get that going over a 50cm course haha.

Michen

Visit site
Swalcliffe posted on TE saying the wind is drying the ground as fast as the rain, ground is great and absolutely fine to run, steward and TA have walked the course.

I’ve had two coffees, been told to take the afternoon off work, and given myself a massive kick up the arse. And to show my commitment am going to flat work school my nag for the first time this month later!

Hopefully a competition report to follow after Sunday...

Fiona

Visit site
Swalcliffe posted on TE saying the wind is drying the ground as fast as the rain, ground is great and absolutely fine to run, steward and TA have walked the course.

I’ve had two coffees, been told to take the afternoon off work, and given myself a massive kick up the arse. And to show my commitment am going to flat work school my nag for the first time this month later!

Hopefully a competition report to follow after Sunday...

Brilliant.... Everything, absolutely everything looks bleak and impossible at 4am :(

Enjoy your weekend x x

Fiona