To sell or kind of 'turn away'?

shadowboy

Visit site
Bit of background: very smart but spooky 4 year old was going amazingly well at old yard. Moved to new yard- then he stopped eating and the spookiness that was gone at old yard came back with a vengeance. Put it this way - trainer described him as something you could put your nan on! Anyway- I came off at new yard during a spooking episode and have a contusion to the calf with a sizeable haematoma. I am unable to drive/ walk/ work and have been told no riding for 6 weeks. So I can either put boyo up with a local very very good event rider to school and sell (horse loves him and his yard having been there over summer while I moved house) and the event rider loves him and has described him as 'cracking' or turn him away at old yard/but will have to pay private groom to bring in/muck out/turn out daily as due to the wet 24/7 turnout no longer and option at old yard. Was going to sell boyo in summer anyway after a few affiliated competitions - but obviously injury has put paid to that as by the time I can ride I will need to re- establish horse and fitten him back up and won't be able to get many comps under his belt. Not sure what's the best option?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If you have no real want to produce him yourself and he has the talent to make a nice horse and you have access to a good producer I would say sell him.

shadowboy

Visit site
If you have no real want to produce him yourself and he has the talent to make a nice horse and you have access to a good producer I would say sell him.
this was the way I was leaning but I was a bit worried that the wet weather and time of year were severely against me.

be positive

Visit site
A good horse will sell at any time of year, if the event rider can get him up and ready to compete fairly quickly then it may be the perfect time to sell, that is assuming he is now a 5 year old so could go out BE90 this spring. If you waste the next 6 weeks you still potentially have problems to iron out and they could get worse, let a pro deal with it sooner rather than later.

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
even if he does not sell in the 6 weeks the rider has him, at least he will have some good schooling and you would be able take him back and do the affiliated competions.