To sell or not to sell? Eventer by cavalier - Advise please!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think you have to think about you more in order to put into perspective.

What do YOU plan on doing? If you like bringing on young horses eventing up to novice and selling on then there is no shame in that then I would recommend selling the horse.

Reading some of the descriptions of aspects like SJ and TC it sounds that maybe you two do not fit together as a partnership. Life is too short too battle with a horse you do not gel with. I had one in 2005 and I got so annoyed eventing him that I bought another and find it far more satisfying.

There are lots of semi decent horses out there who will get you to novice in a short time its if you wanted to go higher that it gets tougher.

I think he is worth about £8k - £9 and that he will be tough to sell due not being an easy ride and his age. That is my opinion as I think horses if they want to be sold need to be priced realistically.

Thistle

Visit site
Price wise, I have a rising 14 eventer who has been intermediate and has ponits, I'm struggling to sell him to the right home (keep getting real numpties after a schoolmaster, yes he is a schoolmaster but won't take a beginner eventing!, Or a 12 year old kid!)

I have been asking £4500.

So can't really see yours worth alot more, sorry.

Whisky

Visit site
I can't tell you whether or not to sell him, but I don't think you should sell him just because you feel you are wasting him. Obviously if he is unhappy with the amount of work you can give him or you do not get on to the extent that he is unhappy, you should probably move him on, but if he has a happy life and you enjoy riding him, don't sell him just so he can reach his potential. At 13, he isn't going to be a four-star/championship horse, and I doubt he's worried that he's not "reaching his potential".

I believe my horse had the talent to go advanced eventually when I bought him as a 7yo - instead, he has spent 8 years giving me great fun at novice/intermediate. No, he hasn't fulfilled the potential he might have, had he had a rider with more talent/time/facilities, but I believe he has a very happy life and we have a lot of fun together. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

seabiscuit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Price wise, I have a rising 14 eventer who has been intermediate and has ponits, I'm struggling to sell him to the right home (keep getting real numpties after a schoolmaster, yes he is a schoolmaster but won't take a beginner eventing!, Or a 12 year old kid!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry do not think that you can compare these two horses! I thought that you said that your horse was no longer keen on his jumping and was better suited to a dressage home? This cavalier horse jumps everything, and has more than enough scope to go on- he could probably do a few two stars this year and then a three star next year with a pro rider.

Thistle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My horse still loves to jump, he is very keen, far too keen for most of the numpties who are interested in him.

He is never dangerous, does not rear, buck or spin but really needs someone who has been XC before as he knows his job and likes to get on with it. You can play with his bitting and introduce brakes quite easily, but if someone hangs on he will then, quite understandably stop.

SJ he has won money at foxhunter and still pops 1.20+ quite happily.

It is just that he is a fantastic dressage schoolmaster.

Sorry do not think that you can compare these two horses! I thought that you said that your horse was no longer keen on his jumping and was better suited to a dressage home? This cavalier horse jumps everything, and has more than enough scope to go on- he could probably do a few two stars this year and then a three star next year with a pro rider.

[/ QUOTE ]