To sell or not to sell

kobi

Visit site
Hello

I would really appreciate people's opinions as I keep going round in circles about what to do.

I have 2 horses who I keep at home. My horse of a lifetime who is sadly retired due to arthritis at 11 and a mare who I bought to ride once my other horse retired. She is a very sweet mare who I've grown quite fond of. She has lots of positives. She is very easy to do, gets on really well with my gelding, is easy to take places and to hack on her own (I work long hours and we are in the middle of nowhere with no facilities so all of this is very important) however she is a bit of a wimp - especially XC and not very scopey. I would like to be doing BE90 / BE100 but I can't see her getting past BE80 (She has been out and about a lot and still gets scared of tiny logs on the floor if she has a few weeks not seeing them - she doesn't refuse but I struggle to get her out of trot) and I would love to hunt but she is terrified of horses running into her and lashes out so I won't hunt her - also she wouldn't have the scope to jump the hedges round here. She is a bit braver SJ (I've had her over 1.10 over at the end of a grid but this felt like her absolute limit and she was perfect to it). She will do a nice test. She is 7 now so I feel like I either sell her now to a home wanting to do a bit less than me or keep her forever. I've had lots of 'better the devil you know' comments however I'm not sure I want to spend my whole 40's riding something I think is 'OK' rather than amazing and not being able to do the stuff I want to do.

The other thing to consider is that it won't be easy to find something a lot better than her on my budget (especially as I can't compromise on them being easy to do, hack etc).

What do you all think?

Thanks for your help xxx

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if you have a lowish budget and are fairly confident and experienced , why not get a youngster that has been backed but done nothing much. it is always a gamble if you want a competition horse but if you started a youngster the right way it could be successful. if your mare is as good as you say she should sell easily..l.. people always seem to want a safe hack who would do low level competing so you may get a good price...

Equi

Visit site
Frankly you will find another horse who will be the exact same as her in every other regard but will also do the XC and hunt well too. Its just about spending the time finding that horse. If i was you i would start advertising looking for that horse, and at the same time try to put out feelers for a home for your mare that you think would suit her...i don't supppse three is a possibility? lol

kobi

Visit site
I'm confident she would sell as she is very pretty, very easy and has a nice attitude. I have considered a youngster but having to do everything on my own puts me off. The first 2 weeks of heading out in the middle of nowhere on my own on an experienced one when I don't know them is bad enough!

Equi

Visit site
Well if i was you i would maybe try out a few horses or maybe see if you can get the ride of one looking to do hunting/XC with the horse but can't for whatever reason ride it themselves - that way you can get a fix while you decide what to do/wait for a home to show up.

cauda equina

Visit site
Your mare is only 7; if you get her out and about and doing stuff she may grow up to be a lot braver than you think
And if she doesn't, you've still got an easy, sound (I'm assuming) horse to compete at BE 80. Better that than something that will do 90/100 on paper but is a pain to take out

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’d play all corners; have a look around and see if you can find an upgrade, but continue ‘bravening’ your current mare - she might rise to the challenge? On the plus side, sounds like she’s a great all-rounder RC type so you’ll have no problem selling her.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I also think you should sell the mare. And then start saving. It sounds like she doesn't like jumping and you need a horse that loves it.

VRIN

Visit site
Why don't you just compete her and see how it works out. You may be surprised. I know of a horse that went to Badminton that was thought to have no scope but each time it went up a level it pulled something out of the bag..

Green Bean

Visit site
It is a difficult decision. You have a gut feel about your mare which is probably right. I bought a mare who is a show jumper who had also done xc and hunting, well, according to the advert. Turns out she is good at SJ but mostly a ninny at xc, doubt she would have big girl pants for hunting. I saw another side of her in dressage potential. When I bought her, her schooling was quite below par, but we have formed the most amazing partnership - only because I changed my wants to do things we are both happy to do. If your heart is set on eventing then I think you should look for a new partner. It is a tough decision but if you have given it at least a year and nothing has improved it is best to move on. Your mare will be someone’s best friend if you are honest in your advert.

be positive

Visit site
I see this happen fairly often, the horse you have does not for whatever reason do the job you want it to, the options are you change your ambitions to fit with the ability of the horse or you sell and get one that should do the job you want, neither is wrong but sometimes it is worth persevering a little longer focusing on the things they are good at, if she is capable of a decent dressage test and SJ then get her out developing those skills to a higher level.

This will be beneficial in two ways, firstly you add value so if you do decide to sell you should have a better budget for the replacement, secondly you will improve your own riding along the way and be building her confidence which may transfer to xc, I would give her another 6 months or so to gain a good record and make the decision next spring, she should sell easily as a well educated 8 year old, you then have next spring/ summer to buy another and get to know it before the winter sets in.