To sell or not to sell?

Teaboy

Visit site
So I’ve got a really fabulous horse I really think could go far in eventing, and I’ve missed eventing! Having only had lots of youngsters or dressage types over the more recent years. Although I have not missed the expense of eventing, with training costs and entries!

I’m really torn with the idea of selling him. Firstly financially I could do with the money (although couldn’t we all). And equally being able to make the most of this great horse will be tricky because of said expense - and to me making the most of him will matter. Secondly I have had some pretty bad luck over the years of deciding to keep a horse a bit longer rather than sell because they have qualified for something, and then not long after the horse has gone wrong, so there’s a big part of me that says I should sell him now. It’s not helped really by a family member being very keen for me to keep him, which in theory shouldn’t make a jot of difference but it does. I know you don’t stumble on horses with his nature, attitude and talent often so it’s a difficult decision.

What would you all do?

ihatework

Visit site
Go with your gut.

If the horse is v good and you do want to sell could you pm me details. I’ve got a couple of friends buying for owners at the moment

Birker2020

Visit site
. And equally being able to make the most of this great horse will be tricky because of said expense - and to me making the most of him will matter.
So if someone comes along and offers you the price you want with their expectations set at just dressage/SJ and would not consider wanting to use him for eventing would you still sell him?
Does it matter to you that much that you would refuse the sale? If you don't feel enough for the horse or there is no connection (which has happened to me) then sell him.

I wanted to sell my youngster who I bought in haste, good bloodlines (not that I gave a jot) but totally different from my Grade B SJ, uneducated, not a push button ride and no enthusiasm for anything other than XC and fun rides. I couldn't bond with him. Sadly he lost his life as a result of a broken leg so I never go the chance to sell him, but if I had I know he would have found a good home and I'd not have felt guilty.

Asha

Visit site
It doesnt sound as though you really want to keep him, so advertise him now while the market is strong

Goldenstar

Visit site
I sold some of my horses when I was younger and working full time I just did not have the money or the time to compete so I had a series of young horses I backed worked and took out unaffiliated then parted with .
Your heart does not sound in this at the minute .
Send the details to ihatework she knows what is what .

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Advertise him, see who turns up to try him and what they think and then go with your gut and feedback. Ideally you want a few high level competition types to try him and confirm your suspicions that he has actually got what it takes to go further.
I'm usually a 'keep, they dont care' type but on this occasion i think, form your post i would be inclined to say sell. Good luck :)

Teaboy

Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies - as much as it sounds like I’m not attached to this boy I actually really am.

Toss a coin with heads for sell, tails for keep. . As it hits the top of its arc, before it starts to fall, in that moment, feel how you want it to land.

And do that.

What a good idea this is - worked for me. I’m going to go against the general consensus and hold off and have a bit of fun with him and see what we can do. Basically let my heart rule my head.