To those of you with bad backs....how do you cope?!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If your ridden horses are unhappy out of work then it does sound as if they'd be better off in another home. Have you considered getting a sharer to help keep them exercised until they're sold/rehomed? I'm thinking it would be easier to pass on fit and happy horses that are currently working than miserable cranky ones in the field. Better for you financially too. With only the shetland left for yourself, could you ride a plodder at a riding school when you want an occasional ride? At least the shetland keeps you part of the horsey world. Was the treatment you had meant to be a cure, or just pain relief? Because if only pain relief and you then go back to what you were doing before (because it doesn't hurt), you maybe made things worse and now the pain is over-riding the medication again.

bonbeau

Visit site
If your ridden horses are unhappy out of work then it does sound as if they'd be better off in another home. Have you considered getting a sharer to help keep them exercised until they're sold/rehomed? I'm thinking it would be easier to pass on fit and happy horses that are currently working than miserable cranky ones in the field. Better for you financially too. With only the shetland left for yourself, could you ride a plodder at a riding school when you want an occasional ride? At least the shetland keeps you part of the horsey world. Was the treatment you had meant to be a cure, or just pain relief? Because if only pain relief and you then go back to what you were doing before (because it doesn't hurt), you maybe made things worse and now the pain is over-riding the medication again.

Yes absolutely, I don't want them being bored and fed up (so am I!) I should be able to sell my youngster fairly easily as he is as he was backed and been turned away for the winter so I will hopefully find someone that is looking for a youngster to get on with in the spring.
I had previously advertised for a sharer when my back wasn't quite so bad and I had nothing but timewasters so I don't really want to go down that route :/ I have a young girl that helps me with the yard work but she's not confident enough to ride my mare unfortunately.
My shetland will give me my horsey fix and I have plenty of friends with horses I can go for ride if I get better.
The treatment was injections of steroids to cushion a disc and some joints, I think I would have to have a disc replaced to cure it so they are starting with other treatment first to see if that helps before anything more extreme. I'm not taking painkillers unless I'm resting so I don't over do it, I want listen to my body rather and stop doing things if it hurts, rather than cover it up and carry on making things worse.

Thanks for the links, I will take a look!

cambrica

Visit site
I'm my own worst enemy and never learn. All the big muscles across the middle of my back are always going into spasm. Seeing the doctor tomorrow hopefully for a referral. Currently trying not to take co codamol and get by on paracetamol but also taking naproxen. It went again this morning which is the worst possible time as my mum who helps out is having bakers cysts removed from her knee today.
The physio a while back said it was simply lack of flexibility in one of the vertebra that the muscles react to. When I'm working (gardening) and really active I have hardly any problems. Has any one had sports massage therapy? Thinking it may help as there is a couple of spots that are always painful if pressed.

Ella19

Visit site
My problem is my shoulders due to many injuries plates and pins but its the same thing.

I see a mctimmony chiropractor every 6 months and a remedial sports massage lady, who also studies biomechanics every 3 weeks. This is because I have a yard job as well, but the sports lady has given me stretches and exercises to improve strength, flexibility and posture and I am 100 times better.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If it is trotting in particular that gives you trouble with your back, as it has for me in the past, can I recommend Icelandic horses. Specifically ones whose first choice of gait is tolt. I've had 4 now and my mare was the most comfortable horse I have ever ridden. She was exceptionally smooth and I never had to worry about getting an uncomfortable jolt as she changed gait. I know this isn't something that would suit everybody, but for someone who thinks they may need to give up riding it is worth investigating. Fortunately, touch wood, I have now got over the injury that was causing me the pain.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I've had 3 spinal ops last one a fusion, laminectomy and discektomy. I now keep my horses out all year now so no mucking out. I also use Sprenger stirrup irons and an Aacallo gel seat saver which help with comfort when riding. I always wear a body protector when riding as it keeps me straight and warms my back. I've swapped from youngsters to older horses and no longer jump (although would love to). It's all about minimising strain and risk.

Oldenburg27

Visit site
I suffer with wear and tear!! How old are you of you dont mind me asking?? At the moment I am on Zapian and can take up to 8 a day (total 4000mg :() the cold really does not help, So a bit of deep heat or a hot water bottle the pain never goes its alway's there :( I've not ridden all winter due to the boy's having there winter jolly's I am dreading riding again :( My doctor wont let me have an op as he say's I'm to young so I have got to suffer for the next 20 year's or so :(

ironhorse

Visit site
Pilates, 400mg Ibuprofen tabs (doc said alternate with paracetamol on a bad day!), mctimoney chiro, which I'm well overdue for.
I also ride mainly western, although I've had to invest in a pricey Crates Lady Reiner saddle as my OH's wide saddle was hurting my hips and back. Our horses are American Quarter Horses and I reckon my youngster is the most comfortable horse that I've ever sat on, which helps.
Warm ups are important - I try to stretch and move about quite a bit before I get on board (even if it's only giving the horse a good groom) and then I trot him about very actively in a stretchy outline - which is good for him too - before doing anything technical.
I have had to give up jumping, and doubt that I'll ever go hunting again, but still have lots of fun with my riding. I don't think you have to forget about riding, just adapt your approach.
I wouldn't rule out having a youngster either - mine is just quiet and has been taught some manners!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I have degenerative disc disease - L4,L5,S1, and after two ops, now have the steroid jabs when I need them, and take Naproxen. I have serious flare ups every six months to a year or so - I'm lucky.

I find that riding really helps to ease the muscles when they go - I use a Barefoot saddle, and get on with it so much better than a treed. When mucking out, I wear a cheap leather weight - lifters belt really tight :eek: and that works wonders.

I've tried Tens (very good tbh), magnetic belts, pro-rider belts, all sorts.

Another thing that has helped A LOT is that i got fitted with proper insoles for my boots. They were about £50, but they have changed the way I walk, and have helped balance my back really well. I need to get another pair soon. Worth their weight in gold.

exmoorali

Visit site
I don't have a bad back, per se, but I do have Fibromyalgia and Hyper-Mobility Syndrome, which give me constant pain and mean that I have to watch what I do.

As like so many others, I have had to restrict what riding I do, the sort of pony I can ride (no more sparky Welshies or Arabs!) and how I care for my ponies. I keep them out as much as possible, but they can't tolerate much grass, so they are on a yard/track most of the time. In the stables I have rubber matting, with a small Easibed layer, and automatic water troughs. I try not to rug, but do use lightweight rugs when it is very wet/windy.

A back support is great, along with heat pads/a tablet before I go out on the yard.

I use a treeless saddle (a treed is so uncomfortable for me now). I have got a Barefoot Atlanta, but find it heavy to carry/tack up, despite it saying it is the lightest one available, so going back to a Libra. I try to ride with very little rein/leg aids.

I am looking to going back to driving, after a break of 3 years. Seen a Mini Shettie locally - and hopefully can persuade hubby to allow me to spend the cash!

I dream of riding long distances - but a short hack is the most I do nowadays.

However, after a period of having to put the ponies into temporary homes when my hip flared up badly, I know I am lucky to have them here at all.

bonbeau

Visit site
I suffer with wear and tear!! How old are you of you dont mind me asking?? At the moment I am on Zapian and can take up to 8 a day (total 4000mg :() the cold really does not help, So a bit of deep heat or a hot water bottle the pain never goes its alway's there :( I've not ridden all winter due to the boy's having there winter jolly's I am dreading riding again :( My doctor wont let me have an op as he say's I'm to young so I have got to suffer for the next 20 year's or so :(

I'm 27. Agree the cold doesn't help! I use heat patches a lot, good to ease the muscles and keeps me warm :)
How old are you? I think they avoid surgery as much as possible especially when younger.
I went to the physio at the hospital today, now very sore as he was trying to loosen up some of my joints, he said my muscles have slightly relaxed probably as I haven't been working/riding so they aren't constantly tense as they were before and I have to carry on with all my stretches!

There are some other factors that are influencing me selling mine, some that have been cropping up now and then over the 6 months/year and this is really tipping me to go ahead with it.

I'm finding it amazing how many people struggle and suffer too, we are a dedicated lot!!
It is interesting to see how everyone copes!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Patchworkpony, unshod hoofs are easier to pick than shod hoofs because they're shallower. Teach the horse to pick up hoof when you tap the leg, so no bending right down to pull up fetlocks.

patchypony

Visit site
Fractured my back 9 months ago now and still suffer with pain and sciatica. Ive made the decision to not ride again for a very long time, as I just cant afford the risk of falling off and doing more damage. Heart breaking, but it needs to be done. But still looking for a horse to loan and stick to the in hand showing, parelli etc :p
When i can afford a air jacket, then maybe ill get back to riding.

When its really bad i have Anadin joint pain. Only over the counter pain killer that works for me now, and stretches on the floor. If its really really bad ill literally stay flat on the floor for 24 hours with the occassional stretch :p

Hope it gets better soon!

only_me

Visit site
Pilates really is excellent; I'm in the process of training to become an instructor.

But unless you change your posture when working with horses you will probably have a relapse in a years time - try bending your knees when lifting things off ground, and lift the thing into your body before standing, promise it helps! :)

I'd also be wary of using a back strap/support, all it does is make your muscles dependant on them so when you take it off muscles are weaker and probably sorer. It's fine to use for a short while but try to do core strength work to develop your muscles that can support your back :)

Last edited:

Oldenburg27

Visit site
I'm 27. Agree the cold doesn't help! I use heat patches a lot, good to ease the muscles and keeps me warm :)
How old are you? I think they avoid surgery as much as possible especially when younger.
I went to the physio at the hospital today, now very sore as he was trying to loosen up some of my joints, he said my muscles have slightly relaxed probably as I haven't been working/riding so they aren't constantly tense as they were before and I have to carry on with all my stretches!

There are some other factors that are influencing me selling mine, some that have been cropping up now and then over the 6 months/year and this is really tipping me to go ahead with it.

I'm finding it amazing how many people struggle and suffer too, we are a dedicated lot!!
It is interesting to see how everyone copes!

I'm 28 I did have physio ( at the same Hospital as Tim Stockdale was in when he broke his neck ) I found it never helped :( really sorry you thinking of selling, Us woman are made of strong stuff lol. It is interesting to see how other's cope..

Isabeau

Visit site
I did a quick read of the whole thread, and I am shocked that no one has yet mentioned an inversion table. I am 41 (okay I'm 42 in 16 days! :)) and I just this year managed to wrench my back really, really good.

I've pinched it or sored myself on a few occasions, but this last one was the real deal!! Probably bulged a disc, or some such. No doctors for me, I'm and American horseman!:)

Farrier diagnosed me with the disc issue. (Who know bad backs better than your farrier?! :)) Told me I could look forward to shooting pains down my leg (correct on that) and suggested I do some lower back exercises to free up the spasming muscles no matter how much it hurt. Also alternate hot/cold packs on the back. All of that worked out. The muscles freed up, though I could still feel something in my spine was definitely 'busted.'

I was only in bed, totally unable to work, for a few days. (It took me a full 10 days after I hurt my back to really get to the point where I totally couldn't do a thing. Was trying to hand water the indoor arena and my back hurt so much I had to rock back and forth.) Slowly I got back on the horses. And I have to tell you, it did wonderful things for my posture!! No 'bad' lifting or leaning over for me. I was sitting straight up on those horses, you betcha!!

The best part, however, was the inversion table. I got one on Craigslist used for $50. The best toy ever!! EVERYONE over a certain age who works a physically demanding job MUST have one. You have to build up to inverting completely. At first, it just made my head hurt and made me nauseous... but after a few times, the wonderful stretching I felt had me hooked. And since I completely recovered, my back is actually better than it was. Which has allowed me to move around more aggressively and get stronger as a result.

Inversion table. There are instructional videos on youtube to help you get an idea. You can get a brand new one off of Amazon or at Walmart for less than $100 in the USA. Really and truly, the best value in health care for you back that you will spend.

kellybee

Visit site
For me its not the spine thats a problem, i used to do mga/ppc and as a result of riding a strong pony one handed for years i have a major muscle imbalance (left side like iron man, right side like mr bean). Im lucky in the sense i work part time at a gym and i swear by pilates and les mills classes. My core strength has improved drastically over the last 12 months to the point where instead of the imbalance making one side of me visibly different to the other, i am almost symmetrical now and my back doesnt knot up nearly so fast. The pain from compensating for the weak side used to be unbearable at times but i haven't had pain in maybe 8 months now. Core strength will improve posture and support your frame. If its within your limits i say go for it. Look up les mills they're all based on core strength too, but more like cardio in comparison to pilates.

Thelwellesque

Visit site
To cut a very long story short, after two years of crippling sciatica and lower back pain I was referred for a scan and was found to have one misformed disc, one disc bulge and a crumbling disc at L4/5 and L5/S1. Fast foward a year and I am now recovering from surgery, no other option as apparently my spine would have collapsed without it and at the age of 41 that is a scary thought. I never knew I had a problem but apparently it could of gone at any time, just one more fall:(

I have not been able to ride since Feb last year due to the risks involved but hopefully should get the all clear in March when I have my next xrays.

I resumed light stable work about two months after the op and am now starting pilates again 5 months post op to regain my core fitness. My physio is a genious and I have also just started Bowen treatment. I am so pleased I had the scan and would advise anyone with back issues to push for answers as you never know what could be lurking underneath, I certainly didn't.

On the plus side I now have an amazing scar as a talking point and can set off metal detectors at 100 paces:D

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
Codeine, bio freeze, back support, physio-uses kinesiotape on me which really helps.
It's more the mucking out, haynets etc that is a problem rather than the riding. I make an effort not to bend my back, split largest haynets into smaller ones, don't fill the Barrow too full etc (I also have tennis elbow so some of these may be more elbows things!)
Ive heard good things about Pilates, there's someone near me who does equestrian Pilates classes which I've been meaning to check out. And also a good RI will help make sure you are also riding with a good posture.

GinaGem

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies so sorry if i'm repeating but things that i've done to help me are:
* sold the two younger horses and kept the old one (21)
* horse lives out but with free access to a stable
* Use straw or wood pellet bedding and deep litter
* Get OH to do any heavy moving of bedding and hay
* Pick out feet kneeling
* Pick up poos crouching with gloves and a small bucket only big enough for one poo
* Get OH to push wheelbarrow poo picking
* Keep sweeping & lifting to a minimum
* Lift with legs bent, avoid bending at the waist at all costs
* Give up riding - this may not be applicable to you but it's improved my pain a lot
* Microwave heat pads - i have various types but the best is the one that velcros round your waist so you can put it on while mucking out
* A good physio - i go to the local private hospital - expensive but worth it
* Exercise stomach, back, leg and shoulder muscles every morning to keep flexibilty and strength. I used to do pilates classes but now i do stuff at home combined with exercises from my physio.
* Winter out horse so no rugs to change
* Keep horse barefoot if poss - easier to pick out feet
* Keep grooming to a minimum, especially where you have to bend down
* Get a hosepipe attchement with a powerful jet for bucket cleaning and leg hoosing
* Feed hay from the floor and transport a slice at a time in a trug
* For me trying to improve my posture causes more pain so i just exercise the weak muscles in the hope it corrects itself a little rather than forcing it
* Get a memory foam matress topper
* Don't sit down or stand still for long periods - i get stiff

I've got DDD as well and bones spurs, disc tears, changes etc. Most of my choices above were so that i can mostly get away without pain relief and also to avoid operations and a wheelchair lol!

I'm sure there's plenty more i haven't thought of!

bonbeau

Visit site
Thanks for all those points, I've adapting to doing quite a few of those already. Anything that makes things a little easier is a big help.
Everything is so much harder in the snow, luckily I have lovely YO's that are filling up my waters for me as my tap is frozen solid!! ....and more is coming grrrrrr!

eatmoremincepies

Visit site
Sympathies. I had bad sciatic pain last year, 6 months of physio didn't help (got worse) & ended up on codeine etc.

My saddler's back person suggested a book by Pete Egoscue (Amazon), started those exercises in early Dec and since Christmas have been pain & drug free! (and I'm not great at doing them every day)

What's made the most difference is lying on the floor (on a comfy mat/rug) with legs up at right angles on a chair, it really helps straighten out my back. I do it while having a nap or watching TV. He reckons it's the only thing you should do if you are in pain, once the pain has abated he has a list of about 8 exercises depending on which of 3 postures is closest to your natural way of standing, the exercises help correct your posture. All easy to do and seem to be v effective.

I am so glad not to be hobbling around any more, being in pain is so unpleasant.