To those two out hacking just now

doriangrey

Visit site
Having a 'bombproof' horse is no excuse for not riding responsibly in traffic, and if you are texting/playing angry birds/chatting to your mate on your mobile/whatever and riding on the buckle you are not riding responsibly. Ignorant and discourteous to other road users.

Penumbra

Visit site
https://www.gov.uk/rules-about-animals-47-to-58/horse-riders-49-to-55

HIGHWAY CODE RULE 53

Before riding off or turning, look behind you to make sure it is safe, then give a clear arm signal.

When riding on the road you should

keep to the left
*** keep both hands on the reins unless you are signalling***
keep both feet in the stirrups
not carry another person
not carry anything which might affect your balance or get tangled up with the reins
keep a horse you are leading to your left
move in the direction of the traffic flow in a one-way street
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

http://newscenter.equinesite.net/lessonofthemonth/197-dont-text-and-ride.html

I know this is getting off the subject of the thread, but what if you are riding (for example) western style and so would not usually have two hands on the reins? Would this automatically make you liable for an accident, even if your horse was fully under control being ridden with one hand usually?

Moya_999

Visit site
I know this is getting off the subject of the thread, but what if you are riding (for example) western style and so would not usually have two hands on the reins? Would this automatically make you liable for an accident, even if your horse was fully under control being ridden with one hand usually?
:)

Well depends what bit they have doesn't it as many bits you have to ride two handed unlike the pro reiner you have to ride one handed. That said the issue is not about riding one handed its about the stupidity of texting while riding a horse and not concentration on riding.

Moya_999

Visit site
Not a PhD in wild leaps of imagination.
. I do not agree with the OP's attitude, leaps of imagination, or comments on the use of phones.
To what leaps of imagination would that be?? There are no drunk drivers or drivers under influence of drugs that might take offense at a horse rider ignoring their gesture of slowing down??
The fact that I saw the aftermath of a horse versus car accident??
Or
maybe just maybe my "attitude" is because I have seen it first hand the result of texting whilst riding.

You carry one believing the world is a wonderful place dear, the reality is accidents can happen to anyone.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Logic and supposition are not mutually exclusive jftd, otherwise no-one would be able to play chess where both are required :)

A PhD is a very narrow qualification, it doesn't mean that 'a doctor' has all the answers :)

Out of interest, what's yours actually about?

PS I've got three a levels, I'm not a newt collector. :D

Well I think we can be sure it isn't in manners or common sense, or from a charm school :)
Any one who believes it is acceptable to text while riding in traffic, is heading for a Darwin Award imo.

atropa

Visit site
Personally I would never ride on the road and use to phone at the same time. Horses are horses at the end of the day, and even the most bomb and traffic proof can still spook. On a public road, yes drivers are responsible for driving safely and responsibly in the presence of vulnerable road users, but I am responsible for making that as easy as I can for them and for keeping my full attention on the road and horse that I'm riding. I also agree that drivers should be thanked for showing awareness of horse and rider - positive reinforcement if you will.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Moya How about you spend more time watching the road ahead and not text a way on your phone said:
Wouldnt make any difference to either of my 2 what u were driving at what speed or what I was doing on top, they would keep executing the last instruction Iissued until I issued a new one.

Rider may have missed a call from a baby sitter and be trying to find out if a kiddy is ok for example. Some horses are totally reliable as long as you dont make them stand still - rider may have made the best decision available to meet an unforeseen need based on info you dont have. Other rider thanked you and as they were together, you were properly acknowledged.

Moya_999

Visit site
Wouldnt make any difference to either of my 2 what u were driving at what speed or what I was doing on top, they would keep executing the last instruction Iissued until I issued a new one.

Rider may have missed a call from a baby sitter and be trying to find out if a kiddy is ok for example. Some horses are totally reliable as long as you dont make them stand still - rider may have made the best decision available to meet an unforeseen need based on info you dont have. Other rider thanked you and as they were together, you were properly acknowledged.

As I already meantion and I will say it again, its not the point 1 rider did not say thank you, that does not safe guard the other rider that no accident will happen further down the road.

the point is/was its shear stupidity to use the phone while your supposed to be controlling a horse.

Your coment about your horses does not mean something would not happen as I already explained that Declan was a bomb proof ex riding school horse used for beginners. He is now dead because the rider was on the phone when an incident happend.

You can always turn in a drive etc should an emergency crop up. I don't care who phones me while riding I will not walk down the road like some who feel lost without a phone stuck to their ear. Boy things were so different before all these damb electronic devices were available.

Now to all those waffling about their horses being so called bomb proof, this thread was started because of a rider using her phone to text instead of keeping her contact on the horse.

Last edited:

Spotsrock

Visit site
So rider should wait to find out if a child is ok till they get back from a ride rather than check and arrange family member to collect (following same fictitious example)? Think many parents may make same judgment call and check in way that appears safest/most sensible to them at the time.

You disagreeing does not make them wrong anymore than it makes you right, its simply ur opinion based on the limited info you have and ur perception, compared to their perception and prioritization based on a different set of information.

I appreciate the poorly child scenario is summation but its an example, nothing more.

For me, such outrage comments also on posters own confidence, reaction times etc also, but again that's my perception/opinion. I am entitled to it which does nor make it right but does make it valid.

lhotse

Visit site
I thank everyone on the road, even if they don't slow down. I have had people stop and thank me for being courteous, so I do think it makes a difference to my safety, as I often meet the same drivers. Some observations I have made are that generally it's women who fail to slow down and some of the worst drivers are horse owners themselves!!

As for using the phone, I do sometimes but only on very quiet lanes where I am unlikely to meet anything. I often take photos but rarely call anyone and texting would be a disaster!

Moya_999

Visit site
So rider should wait to find out if a child is ok till they get back from a ride rather than check and arrange family member to collect (following same fictitious example)? Think many parents may make same judgment call and check in way that appears safest/most sensible to them at the time.

You disagreeing does not make them wrong anymore than it makes you right, its simply ur opinion based on the limited info you have and ur perception, compared to their perception and prioritization based on a different set of information.

I appreciate the poorly child scenario is summation but its an example, nothing more.

For me, such outrage comments also on posters own confidence, reaction times etc also, but again that's my perception/opinion. I am entitled to it which does nor make it right but does make it valid.

Jeepers no meat on the bone now, FWIW I don't agree with calling UNLESS emergency and safe to do so, this thread was started because rider was texting not calling.

This thread has digressed into the rights and wrongs of calling I have not posted anything about calling and will not comment other than in emergency ok.............
I have made my concerns about TEXTING whilst riding this is what brought about a horses death and rider in hospital and a traumatised driver. I have no more to say on this matter my experience with the disasters has been told and I don't want to repeat this experiance over and over in this thread.

Last edited:

Tancho

New User
Visit site
Personally, whether right or wrong I think ALL road users have a duty of care to not use mobiles or other devices that would otherwise affect their concentration. To me it doesn't matter if you're in a car, on a motorbike, push bike or horse your eyes should be on the road ahead of you and paying attention to what is going on around you. It's not just yourself you are putting in danger, it is other innocent people on the road too.
That's my opinion anyway :)