To those who doubted us

JadeyyAndLadyy

Visit site
And to those who thought Lady wouldnt make it through the winter.
Im sure you remember what she looked like this time last year, well, her new home has suited her perfectly and you can just see the difference! :D CHECK OUT THIS FAT BEAST!
530251_10150749409382743_662877742_11450002_2085071140_n.jpg

563906_10150749409722743_662877742_11450003_259295068_n.jpg

549268_10150749410472743_662877742_11450007_631922693_n.jpg

542507_10150749411122743_662877742_11450009_1127975362_n.jpg

That is all.

Moomin1

Visit site
I remember seeing some posts of her before and to be honest she didn't look that bad - just lacking in top line and muscle so can't understand why anyone would have thought she wouldn't make another winter?! :confused:

I do think that she is carrying too much now - but glad you are happy with her progress!! :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Aw I think it's all belly. The rest of her is hardly fat. It will be age and a dipped back making her belly look fat. I would probably want her testing for cushings though.

Actually it was the gutter down her back and the shoulder pads worrying me, assuming the photos are a true representation of her weight, but hey people do seem to think fat is acceptable these days :rolleyes:

Moomin1

Visit site
Actually it was the gutter down her back and the shoulder pads worrying me, assuming the photos are a true representation of her weight, but hey people do seem to think fat is acceptable these days :rolleyes:

Agree. The crest too.

JFTDWS

Visit site
That's why I suggested testing for Cushings. The dipped back and dropped belly, slight crest and channel down spine are all characterisic signs. She is the right age too.

I would say it's more than a "slight crest", though the photos aren't terribly clear with mane in the way... I personally think she is just fat, though I wouldn't rule out cushings :(

quirky

Visit site
Ah well, this post just proves that you can't please everybody.

I feel somewhat sorry for the OP, she will get c rap off people whatever the poor girl posts.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
OP just can't win with some of you can she?

The mare is looking far better than before. She isn't exactly obese! I would however be very watchful with the spring grass coming through Jadey - you may need to restrict her grazing so she doesn't get really lardy.

And sarky comments (made by others) are not very mature either.

Last edited:

Fools Motto

Visit site
Ah well, this post just proves that you can't please everybody.

I feel somewhat sorry for the OP, she will get c rap off people whatever the poor girl posts.

TOTALLY agree.
Too many people on here have to be so right! It isn't a perfect world. I really do think Lady looks good, doesn't even look like the same horse imho. THAT can only be a good thing. I will continue to applaud Jadey, she has done good, for the horse.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'd be pleased if the horse condition scored in the "healthy" range of 2-3.5 (as defined by vets and WHW etc) :rolleyes: She looks to me on the wrong side of 4 - and that makes her as bad, if not worse than she was when she scored between 1 and 2 last year :confused:

As I say, people seem to think "fat" is right these days.

baggyb

Visit site
Jesus, JFTD give the girl a break! Horse looks fine to me, no idea what it was like before, but looks OK now. Sounds more like you have an axe to grind

JadeyyAndLadyy

Visit site
I cant win can i.

My post was not saying fat is good, it was showing how different this year has been compared to last year.
Last year she came out underweight, even with all the rugs, and the stupid amount of food and hay i was giving her. This year was completely the opposite, only one rug, lots of grass and hay, and only got fed once a day during the cold snap. Thats it. Its amazing what a difference grass can make.
I was just posting to show everyone what shes looking like now compared to last year......
I will be starting working her now shes back in her summer field.

ETA im completely OVER THE MOON with her condition, as i have struggled year after year every winter. One persons comment will not get me down. I know im on the right track with my girl, and exersice will start soon to tone her up and keep her healthy.

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site

legaldancer

Visit site
FGS! Lady looks great now leave the poor girl alone.

Thats a huge improvement and she doesn't look like a cushings case to me.

Well done, keep up the good work.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Don't put words into my mouth either thanks. That horse is not obese. I've seen far worse in show rings. And no I don't think fat is good - I never have but that mare is in far better shape than before and I for one am glad to see it. Oh and in over 30 years of horse owning none of mine have ever been fat, just for the record of course.

Last edited:

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
Don't feel bad OP!!

My TB would be considered obese by some posters!! But last year she come out of winter looking like a charity case, but with a lot more hard work, a tonne of rugs, and several tonnes of new hard feed, and a warmer winter shes come through looking like yours!!

I'd prefer to see a little bit too much weight on them underweight! (even thou both can be unhealthy)

Don't listen to sarcastic comments!

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
Poor Jadey, you can't do wrong for doing right eh?!

JFTD- have to say she doesn't look as fat as the highland you were sticking up for in a thread a while back. :p

JFTDWS

Visit site
Don't put words into my mouth either thanks. That horse is not obese. I've seen far worse in show rings.

Well perhaps answer my question and explain what you DID mean then? I was elaborating on what I presumed you meant, since there is no other obvious interpretation of your comment.

I said she was fat and a condition score of 4 - not obese - and I have seen worse too, but that doesn't make it acceptable. I would genuinely be worried if any of my horses looked like that at this time of year.

However, I have made my point. I wish the OP would listen and condition score her mare and not just assume that because she isn't skinny she is fine. Do feel free to villainise me to your hearts' content. I really couldn't care less. I do care about the worrying trends in equine obesity though.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Wow you really are a sarky little what not aren't you?

No... a fair few others do not think she is fat. THAT is what I meant.

And stop playing the victim, it's very childish.

Last edited:

Mongoose11

Visit site
JFTD - I think the 'No they don't' comment was in response to your 'people think it is ok for them to be fat' bit.

Not sure if i have got your words right there exactly but not sure how to quote. I could be wrong here but that is what I read the 'No they don't' bit as.

x

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTD- have to say she doesn't look as fat as the highland you were sticking up for in a thread a while back. :p

Last comment before I leave - that highland was on a strict diet as her owner recognised she was too fat. Furthermore, she had an extremely dropped broodmare's belly, but did not have such a substantial crest, guttering or fat pads - even in summer her ribs are visible but she has a dropped belly. It was a different horse and a different situation.