To those who have broken their backs

benson21

Visit site
I broke my back almost 6 months ago, and what I really want to know is, how long were you on pain killers for.
I broke T11 and had rods and pins put in T11-T12.
I know every person is different, but i am still taking 13 painkillers a day, and if I miss a dose, like stupidly today I did, I am crippled!
Someone, please give me some light at the end of this tunnel!

Thelwell_Girl

Visit site
I injured my back recently, and have just started to get better. You must be so brave to go through all that! *hug*

Hope you feel better soon!

Archiesmummy

Visit site
Oh, I really hope things improve soon.

I am unable to offer any useful advice but I hope you are not suffering in silence. Have you spoken to your consultant? Are you doing too much and hindering your healing? I say this because I broke my collar bone last year and at times used my arm more than I should have and paid the consequences. Even now, over a year on, it is still at times painful and I am reminded that I have to take things easier.

Lots of love and empathy to you x

Dubsie

Visit site
Sorry to hear you're taking a long time to feel better. I hope you get mended soon.

Just a thought: are you crippled with pain or crippled with feeling 'not good'? Reason I ask is a friend has a serious op a few weeks ago and thinks she is addicted to the painkillers, as she felt seriously unwell rather than in pain when she missed one, and has made an appointment to see about reducing the dose, and having lower dose tablets.

benson21

Visit site
No, its definataly pain!! I have done everyting the docs have told me to, went to hydrotherepy but physios stopped it as it was too painful.I also have a recently discovered broken fibua, which is not helping! The cramps in my back have been absolutely horrendous today, and just proves to me I cant do without painkillers!

ERB

Visit site
Sorry to hear you're still in so much pain, must be so frustrating. What does your consultant say? A bit off subject but did I hear a while back you were thinking of getting another horse? x

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I really hope the pain eases for you soon :(

No advice just hugs :) (gentle)

What type of pain killers are you on?

gina-d

Visit site
I had an accident 13 years ago when a van hit my mare from behind. I fractured L 2-4 (stable) and lost all the transverse processes from my lumbar spine. I was off work for 2 years and even now find a twinge or three if I don't watch myself.

I found a TENS machine invaluable (24/7) and hydrotherapy did help. I had to literally zonk myself on analgesia prior to going in the pool and in the early stages I was hoisted into the pool (how undignified!!). It may be worthwhile to ask for a referral to a pain clinic as I found - however hard it was - moving was the best healer and if the pain is controlled you will be more inclined to loosen up and the muscles will relax - if that makes sense!

Good luck.

benson21

Visit site
Painkillers are tramadol, diclofenac and codine, so all quite strong. Seeing consultant next week where I thnk he is gonna say I will have to have my leg rebroken so thats nothing to look forward to, although I suppose it will mean I will rest my back more!!
Thanks very much speeding driver!!! Dont suppose he realises what he has done!!!

ERB - yes we were thinking of getting another quite soon after the accident but think to be honest it was just a knee jerk reaction to get through the pain of losing Benson and Charlie. (thats not to say its wrong to buy another soon after losing one, it just wasnt right for us)
But we are now slowly looking for a driving pony as I will never ride again.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Oh god I really feel for you.
I fractured my back this time last summer but done nothing like you, tail end fracture but was in so much pain. I couldn't live without my painkillers and was also on high amounts off them. I took me 6 months before I could sit without pain and only now am I pain free, but if I sit in a car, bus, train or anywhere for more than 30 mins I'm in terible pain again and feel like iv re done it. Give it time as you have had major ops as well by sounds off it.
How do u stand with riding once all sorted?
I haven't fallen off since iv hurt my back but I do a lot with problem horses so I'm high risk and tbh I'm dreading it cause I just don't know how my back will hold up but never get on anything now without my body protector

benson21

Visit site
Thanks for that Gina-d, will definately look into a tens machine. I have heard of them but not really thought about it..

Cavblacks

Visit site
Hey Benson21,

very sorry to hear you're still going through so much pain and possibly more. I really hope you are on the mend soon. Makes me so angry that one irresponsible driver has caused all of this on you.
I hope you find a nice driving pony to take your mind off it all xx

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I have also heard great things about tens machine. Codiene is seriously addictive. I would chat with your gp and maybe visit the pain clinic mentioned on the previous page.

:)

ETA leg rebroken! Oh poor you, no I bet that speeding idiot doesn't know! Grrr!!

ERB

Visit site
Probably a wise move to leave getting a new one for a while. When I lost my boy I did the knee jerk reaction thing and ended up with a horse I really didn't get on with and decided I'd had enough. After a few years break I picked it up again and I came across Michael (what a name!) by chance, owner wanted rid by any means possible and after a bit of a bumpy start I'm so glad I got him (my bank balance isn't though!)

Such a shame you're not riding but learning a whole new discipline sounds great fun - would love to hear how you get on. Hope the pain starts to ease soon x

maxapple

Visit site
My mum had a spinal fracture after falling at work quite a few years ago. I don't know where abouts but it was caused by osteoporosis.

She suffered a lot with pain, and after first doing it was on lots of pain killers and found it impossible to even walk etc.

She used to use a TENS machine which seemed to help (The type people use during labour). I don't think there is a limit to how much you can use it.

You'd need to talk to your doctor before using it I think. Or how about trying accupucture or something similar?

I really hope you start to get better soon. x

Pebbles

Visit site
Oh dear Benson sorry you are still suffering so much. I can't offer any advice i'm afraid but much sympathy and hugs and do hope you get significant progress soon. Really feel for you x

dray123

Visit site
I broke my t11 10 months ago, after a horse running into the back of me in the stable. i started riding again this week, but it certainly isnt easy!! But I take pain killers regulary, and have tens machine which really helps!!, if i don't I am in so much pain - Still after 10 months! But I am determined to get better! I take less painkillers then when it first happened, I think you have to. My consultant told me when the pain eases off a little try and do a bit more than usual, to get mobility back. Its certainly not a quick thing, I think sometimes maybe im pushing it a bit too far, especially riding already when im still in so much pain.

I hope you start to feel better soon, my post isn't really helpful sorry x

JoG

Visit site
I broke L5, my sacral bone and my illiac crest just over three years ago (I now no longer ride as my job involves lifting and I can't do both :( )

I was back at work within a week as the fractures were stable and i was able to walk with crutches. I had physio for 9mths and it was only after that when i was able to start jogging without pain, i think i took pain relief daily for about 18mths but a lot of that was to countract the pain of exercising adn rehabilitating.

I am in pain on a daily basis but it is not always limiting - for example sitting on the sofa, legs crossed with my laptop on my lap I have a dull ache through the joint. I don't take anything for it because i'm stubborn like that :D I HAVE to do a set of daily exercises for about 20mins every morning. Without that i get nerve pain and numbness down to my toes (i had 4mths off work at the start of this year as I gave up on exercise last autumn). I have found acupuncture helps, as does swimming :)

I know I will never be better - I will never be the me before it happened....experienced trauma Dr's refer to trauma as a "disease" for this reason :(

twisteddiamond

Visit site
i fractured t12 just over a year ago, it was a crush fracture with a chipped piece of bone, i spent six months off work as i was in a great deal of pain and it wasnt stable. I still get twinges if i do too much, but i stopped taking painkillers regulary months ago, i have found once i started doing my physio and swimming the pain has gradually subsided (or maybe im just getting used to it)
it might be an idea to have a chat with your consultant about your pain relief and how it can be tweaked to help you cope better with the pain

ruscara

Visit site
I had compression fractures of T11 and T12 (unstable) twelve years ago, and I am sorry to say that whilst I was in hospital, the Consultant whizzed by and said, "I have the same injury as you and you will be in pain for the rest of your life". He was right :(
I am not in constant pain, thankfully, but I have pain every day, especially when doing things which require leaning forward (ironing, washing up, clothes shopping ..........) I don't have to take pain killers though, most of the time, and the pain goes if I rest.
I don't want to depress you, and hopefully your prognosis will be better than mine. I hope so :)

benson21

Visit site
To be honest, the consultant did say I would always have back pain now, hopefully it will calm down! Really encouraged to hear about the experiences with tens machine, they sound promising!

maxapple

Visit site
Just to add on the TENS machine - my mum got a note from her GP which means you can get it cheaper from some retailers (As its classed as medical rather than personal use so I think VAT free)

You can also hire them - which is worth doing as there are lots of different types to try, so you can work out which suits you.

Chestunutmare!

Visit site
I broke my T3 falling off and it wasnt diagnosed and they said it was just severly internally bruised- I didnt believe them as I couldnt walk!! 2 years later they have realised its broken and because of that my spine has rotated and grinding together and my pelvis has gone the other way because of the way I stand and have been riding all through it taking a stupid amount of pain killers- Im still waiting to see a consultant after my MRI scan that was 3 months ago, they have rescheduled it 3 times effectivly delaying it 2-3 months each time! they wont give me subscription painkillers have been waiting 2 years for physio that hasnt materialised, swimming really helps, also if you get onto alotalotalot of painkillers - when I do alot Im on 3 sheets of 500mg paracetamol and 40mg codine tables a day + a sheet of ibrobrofen + Volterol cream - it is good to have a couple of really chilled days dont do anything stressfull, only take the minimum amount of painkillers you can deal with the pain and then when you do more you dont have to take as many so it reduces the chance of stomach ulcers :) hope you feel better :) :eek: mine has got worse though- so if you expect less in recovery you will get more when it happens :)

Doris68

Visit site
I fractured L1 & L2 (also head of femur in 7 places). Was in a metal brace for over 3 months. The pain from the back was horrendous - I was on a morphine pump for 4 weeks and then painkillers for several months. I had hydrotherapy and physio and it took ages for the pain to ease. The physio really did help and I even ventured to (my very sympathetic and understanding) osteopath and that also helped a great deal.

I am lucky as (after 7 years) I only have stiffness and discomfort and no actual "pain". I cannot sit down for long periods though as I get very uncomfortable and stiff.

It must be just awful for you as back pain is the worst! You really should go to see your consultant and get some advice on pain management - someone I know had acupuncture with good results. Please check it out with your consultant first!

Good luck and keep smiling (if you can...!).

benson21

Visit site
Consultant next friday, making a list!!! TENS machine, osteopath, accupuncture, gonna have to write it down!
Have been told I am not allowed to swim yet, but I have always found that helps pain, som will ask again about that.
Thanks guys, really helpful!( and a refreshing change that we have a post with no bitching, sniping etc!)