To those who have had horses with mud fever....

snowstormII

Visit site
It must be in the mud. All my horses get it for the first and sometimes second, winter. But it has never got infected and I feel like I manage to keep on top of it by bringing them in overnight and leaving mud on to dry out. Then next morning gently brush off mud, apply Hoof to Heel (marvellous stuff, got lanolin, honey and healing essential oils in it). It softens the scabs so you don't have to pick and scrape them off. Then pig oil applied on lower half of all legs. This helps stop the mud sticking so there is less to brush off tomorrow. This year I suspect my new horse has leg mites as he was stamping in the summer with his back feet, and I think that is what is opening tiny holes in his skin, which the mud fever then capitalizes on. Next stop is to get that treated. Good luck!

Nudibranch

Visit site
It's not in the mud. The bacteria are on the legs all the time, but getting wet continually weakens the skin and allows the bacteria to take hold. Not all horses will be susceptible in the same conditions. Hence allowing legs more dry time helps clear it.
Btw talc is the main ingredient in keratex powder; my vet swears there is no difference in results and in my experience he's right! He also warns against barriers such as pig oil, muddy buddy, hoof to heel etc. I did clear mine with them but it did come back very slightly so I am going to try his clip legs, talc, no grease advice and see if it stays away....

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Mine had a touch of mud fever at the start of last year, it wasn't too bad, but a little bit sore.

First of all, I re. trimmed her fetlocks (she's a very light type, so doesn't really grow feathers, but I still wanted to make sure there wasn't much hair on there), after that, I carefully washed the area with Hibiscrub (making sure that it was totally dry afterwards).

I then applied Sudocrem to her pasterns (I did this when she would come in at night), making sure there was no wet or mud left under the Sudocrem.

When she was turned out she had Vaseline applied to her pasterns, to stop the wet & mud getting on the area.

She also wore Vaseline when she was being ridden on wet and/ or muddy fields (and also wore it for hunting).

I did this process everyday (excluding the washing them at the start).
It cleared up in about 2 weeks.

Victoria25

Visit site
Ive got a grey arab who suffers so bad with mud fever! Ive tried everything over the years but the only thing that's worked is Vaseline!!!!!!! Buy a huge tub of it (petroleum jelly - £1 from poundshop) and just slap it on then massage into the areas. Do this morning/night and over the next few days the scabs will literally come off in your fingers (its a bit gross) but it doesn't leave a red/sore mark on their legs and also lubricates the leg so it doesn't go all sore overnight if they're in! x

flintmeg

Visit site
I battle every year with it, and a friend had some of the new NAF mud barrier cream, im so impressed, its amazing, i put put it on and the next day all scabs were gone and skin was clear and calm.I have used it on a girth gall too and that vanished, use it for any skin related issue now. I am completely converted, its not the cheapest option but i think its worth every penny. Smells lovely too :)

TheHairyOne

Visit site
All my horses live out 24/7 and the fields a mess (with some hard standing).

I swear by the leave to dry, brush clean, remove as much stuff as possible and apply something called fungatrol once every second day. Clears it up in a very short space of time, and its never come back on the 5 horses ive done this with with less faff than anything else. Dont even reapply once its all healed up. Worked on mr super hairy cob through to fine skinned tb.

Tasha!

Visit site
Mine used to get this every year without fail, I tried everything - balanced minerals, all the creams under the sun lol. Now for the first time ever he's roughed off 24/7, covered in mud and eating nothing but grass and he hasn't got it :rolleyes:

To treat it I used to find the vet's special cream the best. First washed it off with malaseb then apply the cream. It had allsorts in it, antibiotics and betnovate etc, but it worked. For keeping it away after, the muddy marvel barrier cream - messy and nasty but it worked.

Cobbytype

Visit site
My mare had it really bad a few years ago , I tried all sorts of off the shelf products . It spread up to the back of her knees. Vet prescribed flamazine cream . Fantastic stuff expensive but less than I'd spent on other stuff that didn't work. cleared it up quickly and it's never come back. Horrible time for horse she was so sore .

This... and my vet used to mix the Flamozine with a steroid and anti-biotic (Synulox). My boy was allergic to pig oil and sulphur and Sudocreme blistered him. The vet's potion was the only thing that worked, but my boy had the more serious condition called Chronic Progressive Lymphoedema.

Podgelover

Visit site
I would 100% get the vet out! I tried everything and nothing but their cream worked- and when it worked it worked fast! Was cleared up in a few days, you need to get the scabs off, poultice them if they aren't soft enough. The infection is under the scabs - which is why you need to get them off. Its not worth waiting, I tried so many different advice over time and it is just no good, mine actually got infected after a while.

ALO

Visit site
I've ordered some of the equimed ag boots. Mines on box test and it's still not getting better. The lady I spoke to said that the bacteria that causes MF is evolving and now doesn't respond as well to the usual treatments. I'm desperate!will let u know if they work!

Redders

Visit site
A friend of mine swears by virkon s. It's a really strong anti bac wash and she leaves it on for half hour. You'll need to out some type of barrier cream like sudocreme on to protect skin afterwards as it will also remove good bacteria and oils. I found canesten thrush cream and dactarin athletes foot powder effective,but it wasn't a severe case.