To those who make hay, hows it going?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Baled ours into big round bales today. Looks lovely stuff! will leave them on field for a few days. We used to do small bales but it become too labour intensive. Luckily a local farmer has all the big machinery so he lends us that if my OH helps with their hay so it works well!!

maisie06

Visit site
Just curious really! We had amazing amount of rain in the South east during May and now this sunshine, how is all the grass doing?
Will it be a good enough year to replenish stores after last year?

Loads lost in West Sussex, Knocked flat with extremely heavy rain, One guy has just turned sheep onto his fields as not worth the effort for what will be poor quality hay. I'm glad I don't own a horse these days, Just ;looking after one while friend recovers from a major op.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Currently fluffing it up ready to bale. I have pressed home that i really need it baled today as im in London all day tomorrow and there is potential for showers tomorrow night and itll be sods law it will storm!

Less chatting with the neighbour and more tractor driving me feels!!!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
197 small bales, that's back up to our usual yield after last year's meagre pickings :). We'd get a lot more if I fertilised, but I don't want to feed the neds fertilised hay.

The newer tractor does not have the 'Aah factor' that their elderly uber reliable cabless International does, but when it behaves it certainly is a lot quicker.

Helpful extra bods also from next door to get bales into stacks of 8, then OH and me now to bring in and put away. Quick drink stop, then on with it.

95B458B6-295A-4B5F-99F7-0FD709FA28FF.jpeg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This year was probably the most straightforward year we've had in getting the hay made well, and we've been doing it for 35 years. After worrying for a while over whether it would ever stop raining, both this settled settled spell arrived and our lovely neighbours were available to mow and make the hay, and nothing mechanical broke down.

We, however, are finding that age is catching up with us, we're both mid 60s. It was utterly knackering gathering it in (8 round trips with the trailer) and then stacking it in our small hay barn in sweltering heat, it was still 29° C at 7 pm. The first couple of trips are easy, then you start getting tired and the stacking gets hotter, higher and harder.

All in now, though. I picked up the last load off the field last night as it was getting dark and OH was stacking the previous load, and for the first time ever, we left it on the trailer to stack today, we were jiggered. Son no 2 usually helps, but he's the one still recovering from Covid.

Continued ???for those still in the middle of haymaking.

Last edited:

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
76½ large round bales of really wonderful stuff in the barn. We got 35 from the same fields last year. The rams I am taking to the breed sales at the start of next month are eating the half bale and really liking it.

Visit site
Still haven't managed to find anybody to cut ours and it's going to go to waste if not done in the next week or so *sigh* no wonder there is a shortage if it's this hard to get it cut! This is our first year doing it and not sure shall bother again.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Still haven't managed to find anybody to cut ours and it's going to go to waste if not done in the next week or so *sigh* no wonder there is a shortage if it's this hard to get it cut! This is our first year doing it and not sure shall bother again.

There was so much growth that crops have been very heavy, and a bit later than normal due to the unsettled weather. We keep being offered more and more grass, but it has got the point where we said no more, couldn't cope with doing any more.

Haven't you been able to get someone local who is making their own hay?

Visit site
There was so much growth that crops have been very heavy, and a bit later than normal due to the unsettled weather. We keep being offered more and more grass, but it has got the point where we said no more, couldn't cope with doing any more.

Haven't you been able to get someone local who is making their own hay?

nope, all of the farmers just keep saying they are too busy to take it on. It's only 10 acres we want cutting and been looking since June. Then, thought we had found one and he never turned up and now says his tractor is broken. ?

Last edited:

Esmae

Visit site
Talked with my hayman tonight who has hay coming out of his ears and still more to bale. He was very pleased with the crop this year. Mine arrives this week.

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site

I feel your pain - I was let down by my contractor when we had the hot spell a couple of weeks ago as he had booked in too many people (and they all had bigger acreages than me!). Everyone else I tried was similarly busy. He's promised to come back as soon as the weather goes dry again but we have rain forecast on and off for the next fortnight... :(

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My hay supplier from last year hasn't made enough to sell us any... drought in Inverness apparently. ? I'm majorly stressed.

Please send happy hay-finding vibes Northwards...