To use travel boots or not??

Eloisee

Visit site
Taking my boy to a pleasure ride tomorrow where he has to travel from my yard to a friends to pick up her horse alone. He has never travelled alone before so I'm a little worried as it is. I was going to put travel boots on him.. like I would usually but my friend told me not to if hes going alone and isn't settled.
I thought the boots would be there to protect himself from cuts if he is dancing a little but now I'm confused?

be positive

Visit site
If he is used to wearing them then I would put them on as you would normally, they are used for a reason and to not put them on on the day you think he may get upset seems to be pointless using them at all, it would be different if you never used them in which case they may make him more upset, most horses that travel well will be fine alone it is when you drop the other horse off on the way home you will have to be careful to ensure he doesn't think he is getting out as well.

Eloisee

Visit site
Ive only ever taken him out once, last year, where he wore boots for what I can only assume was his first time just fine. So would you suggest just going ahead with wearing them?

JillA

Visit site
I would only ever use them on a horse who is likely to slip off the ramp, and then bandages would be better. They can slip down around the legs and get tangled, overheat the legs and alert a horse to something exciting going on. Horses brace their legs apart when they are travelling and chances of them knocking into themselves are really remote. I binned mine years ago.

doris2008

Visit site
If they are likely to overreact to having them on I would bandage instead. Or at a minimum usual excercise boots and over reach boots just to be safe.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I would never travel a horse without boots, I did research into ones that dont and found some. I do prefer short boots with knee boots and hock boots, seen too many injuries that could have been avoided had they worn protection.

Merlod

Visit site
I use the shires half height ones, they don't slip, are easy to get on and the horses don't mind them at all :) infact I use them as stable boots the night before shows as theyre fleece lined!

live-love-laugh

Visit site
Go with what his used to, you want to do.

I don't like boots, I bandage for long distance or just travel in brushing and over reach boots for local trips.

Fiona

Visit site
I would never travel our mares without boots as both have injured themselves travelling, but sons pony goes without as we have none small enough for 11hh and is always ok.

In your case OP as horse is used to them then I would use them. Better safe than sorry and all that..

Fiona

Lintel

Visit site
I don't ever use them on my boy unless I was going really long distance where i felt there was a significant risk of jolting about of the Trailer, he travels fine has never worn them of rather get him to learn of he bumps his legs not to do that again. He is a Highland though- so has legs of steel. If I had something with fine legs I probably would

atropa

Visit site
I always use them but my horse is used to them. I've never had them slip and I figure better safe than sorry

rachk89

Visit site
I use boots too. Didn't slip last time he was on a trailer. I would use them if I were you if he gets injured you will only regret not using them. Better to protect him than to feel guilty over something preventable.

TickyTavey

Visit site
I have always used travel boots. Without fail. In fact, the thought of loading up with naked legs makes me feel a bit funny😳. Before reading threads on H&H I didn't even realise there was any debate about their efficiency or safety.

I can def understand not wanting to overheat tendons. Can't say have ever had a horse who's legs sweated under boots, but take this point. Can also see the argument for them slipping and horse panicking to get them off, although this has never happened to me but guess all my previous horses used to them. Now have a youngster who's never worn boots, so for first time ever am considering just booting up with overreaches and brushing boots for travel (prob inclined to use knee and hock boots too, which kind of makes travel boots seem easier!).

Op - I would use boots if horse used to it.

Hayjay

Visit site
I've been wondering the same. I travel pony without - he came in and with boots which I used initially but they always slipped down and he tripped and nearly fell with them! So I now travel without but he is barefoot. I'm about to start trailering my mare 1 mile down the road to avoid busy main road and get to alternative country lane hacking. Not sure whether to boot or not. The fact she is shod makes me think I should?

nicelittle

Visit site
We don't use travel boots.
Used to, but one of our ponies suddenly became a very bad traveller, getting caught up in his travel boots. We now just use 4x over each boots. We travel them every week and they seem much happier without.