To vet or not to vet????

Leg_end

Visit site
I don't think you are being callous by planning his future TBH. When I bought my boy I was 'planning' to have him for a few years, achieve what I wanted competition wise and then sell him before we start a family.. only difference being he was 4 so would be 8/9 when I sold him.

I kept that up for about 6 months and then realised I'd fallen head over heels :rolleyes: He won't be going anywhere now :D

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
How is it not planning a sale when you are planning to sell him in "18 months"!?!!

I would not sell you the horse, knowing you would sell it on once it had 'reached its peak'.

Isn't that what happens all the time in the horse world? I see it on here all the time?

I really, honestly can't see what the big deal is? If he was 16/17 and I was posting this I'd totally get why but he's 12?

If the owner wants a 'home for life' home for him then she will not sell him to me, it's as simple as that. If that is the case, I will happily try and find him a 'home for life' home for him on her behalf, I've already told her that. I would not sell him to just 'anyone.'

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I don't think you are being callous by planning his future TBH. When I bought my boy I was 'planning' to have him for a few years, achieve what I wanted competition wise and then sell him before we start a family.. only difference being he was 4 so would be 8/9 when I sold him.

I kept that up for about 6 months and then realised I'd fallen head over heels :rolleyes: He won't be going anywhere now :D

I am thinking this post would've been better posted in CR TBH.

CBFan

Visit site
I personally would get a 2 stage done... will check the 'unseen' things like heart and lungs and cover basic soundness.

There is no guarantee that even if he passes a 5 stage now, he will pass one in 18 months time and vice versa. That is just horses for you.

Also 12 is no age these days - lots of horses are competing at a high level well into their 20's... Don't write him off too young - he may be no-where near his peak yet ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes, well re respiritory that's what I was thinking, I *think* it's just a dust thing from the hay etc but would want that confirmed.

I know I'll be sinking more money into him but I don't mind that. Whatever horse I got I'd be sinking money into.

Of course, I just think I'd rather be sinking money into one that was what I really wanted that's all, I'm not suggesting he isn't just suggesting caution especially when total financial responsibility is necessary (as opposed to a loan)

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Can anyone tell me what a 2 stage involves?

I know 5 stage is ridden and flexion tests etc.

Also, cost wise roughly how much is a 5 stage compared to a 2 stage?

pootleperkin

Visit site
Maybe just a two stage to make sure of the vital health - as people said, in 18 months he probably won't be the same horse, and the 5 stage you had done nearly two years ago won't mean jack to any potential buyer.

2 stage just the basics, mouth, eyes, heart, lungs, walk trot (flexion if you want), back, skin - general look over.

Prices seem to vary from £80 to £150 ish.

Last edited:

legend22

Visit site
Wouldn't bother. If you've had him 5 months and everything is still working why waste money. You could vet him today but that doesn't mean a condition that could possible make him fail a vetting couldn't arise tomorrow whether through accident or illness.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site

I am thinking this post would've been better posted in CR TBH.

Did i read this wrong? That was a little harsh?

Ive had two horses on Loan, One was 9 months before i bought him (had him 2 stage vetted for peice of mind) One was 6 months before i bought her- didnt bother with a vetting as by the end of the 6 months id spent so much money sorting her health issues out that i (and the vets) knew her inside and out anyway.

Both were young so personally i would have a 2 stage vetting in your shoes.

wallykissmas

Visit site
Do you have to buy him ? Why not just loan him for the 18 months -2 yrs and then offer to sell him on behalf of the owner ? Save you money that you could lose as he will then be older - by your posting his age is a bit older than you would have liked ?

I would opt for a two stage to check the basics and his breathing/dust issue.

Regarding his breathing could he be fed haylage, I as buyer wouldn't activly buy horse that needed soaked hay as its such a chore ESP during the winter . Just thinking of things when you come to sell him to consider.

Sheep

Visit site
Did i read this wrong? That was a little harsh?

Ive had two horses on Loan, One was 9 months before i bought him (had him 2 stage vetted for peice of mind) One was 6 months before i bought her- didnt bother with a vetting as by the end of the 6 months id spent so much money sorting her health issues out that i (and the vets) knew her inside and out anyway.

Both were young so personally i would have a 2 stage vetting in your shoes.

I think SS meant that the entire thread would've been better in CR ;)

Firewell

Visit site
Oh yay!! This IS exciting news!

I had Jae on loan for 9 months before I brought him and I didn't bother with a vetting, he was insured already. I knew that he was sound and fine for the job I wanted to do so it seemed a bit of waste of money.

Would he pass a vetting today? Maybe, hopefully! The vetting I could of had when I brought him won't make a blind bit of difference to now.

Its up to you, for peace of mind you could have his heart/eyes looked at, or x rays of his legs and feet. Vettings only snap shot in time anyway and you have had 5 months of knowing him so you will prob know better than vet of how sound he is at this point.

:)

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Do you have to buy him ? Why not just loan him for the 18 months -2 yrs and then offer to sell him on behalf of the owner ? Save you money that you could lose as he will then be older - by your posting his age is a bit older than you would have liked ?

I would opt for a two stage to check the basics and his breathing/dust issue.

Regarding his breathing could he be fed haylage, I as buyer wouldn't activly buy horse that needed soaked hay as its such a chore ESP during the winter . Just thinking of things when you come to sell him to consider.

Yes, he could probably be fed haylage. To be fair, I soak it too to keep his weight down as he's a good doer.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Oh yay!! This IS exciting news!

I had Jae on loan for 9 months before I brought him and I didn't bother with a vetting, he was insured already. I knew that he was sound and fine for the job I wanted to do so it seemed a bit of waste of money.

Would he pass a vetting today? Maybe, hopefully! The vetting I could of had when I brought him won't make a blind bit of difference to now.

Its up to you, for peace of mind you could have his heart/eyes looked at, or x rays of his legs and feet. Vettings only snap shot in time anyway and you have had 5 months of knowing him so you will prob know better than vet of how sound he is at this point.

:)

Thanks, yes it is :) it will be nice to know that, for once, I am finally putting all the hard work and money into a horse that's MINE.

I think I will have him vetted for piece of mind, probably just two stage tbh. If a 5 stage isn't terribly more expensive then I may go for that but two would be sufficiant for my piece of mind I think.

smiffyimp

Visit site
My answer to your question OP ( :D ) is check out the respiratory thing. I wouldn't have him vetted as you've had him for 5 month. I bought my now 8yo at 2, had him 2 staged, all well super horse! Now blind in 1 eye due to a cataract caused most likely by a stupid accident(another story i will not digress!). He was eventing novice and money had been offered. Now, I doubt ill let him event (I'm sure he would!) and who'd want to buy??? Thankfully he's my boy and I don't want to sell, I guess what I'm saying, is vetting is great on a horse you don't know, or one thats worth a bomb (insurance) and even then, it can all go tits up:D
As for selling in the future - I commend you for being honest, not everybody wants to keep life long horses and at 14 he has plenty years left for somebody at a lower level and they'll have a very nicely schooled/trained horse to do it on. Many people sell on once a horse has reached its peak, they're not cheap animals. Im a keeper, but totally appreciate other people aren't, as long as they get good homes (and aren't really old - I hate that)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
You keep referring to him as '12'. He is now, but he won't be when you sell him in '18-24 months time'.

There is no problem at all with planning ahead, it's the way your post came across, as in that he would be discarded like an old sock. That might not be what you meant, but I'm not the only one who read it that way and was most hit by it.

I've had a horse on loan and a horse that came to me before being paid for. I didn't have vettings on either. The loan one we'd had for long enough to have found anything that couldn't only be found by scans, and the other one I'd known of for a year and had her at home for six weeks before paying for her.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
My answer to your question OP ( :D ) is check out the respiratory thing. I wouldn't have him vetted as you've had him for 5 month. I bought my now 8yo at 2, had him 2 staged, all well super horse! Now blind in 1 eye due to a cataract caused most likely by a stupid accident(another story i will not digress!). He was eventing novice and money had been offered. Now, I doubt ill let him event (I'm sure he would!) and who'd want to buy??? Thankfully he's my boy and I don't want to sell, I guess what I'm saying, is vetting is great on a horse you don't know, or one thats worth a bomb (insurance) and even then, it can all go tits up:D
As for selling in the future - I commend you for being honest, not everybody wants to keep life long horses and at 14 he has plenty years left for somebody at a lower level and they'll have a very nicely schooled/trained horse to do it on. Many people sell on once a horse has reached its peak, they're not cheap animals. Im a keeper, but totally appreciate other people aren't, as long as they get good homes (and aren't really old - I hate that)

Thank you :)

I think, for my own peace of mind I will have a 2 stage and ask them to just make sure his respiratory system is all okay.

Well, he's 12 now and I personally would not sell a horse any older than 14, 15 at a push so IF I do put him up for sale, THAT is why it would be 18 months- 2 years time. He is a really lovely boy and I am sure that at 14 he would still have many, many years and would make someone a great hack/low level dressage horse. I would only sell him to a 5* home, he would be perfect (even now) for an older lady who doesn't want to whiz around at 90mph everywhere and just wants a nice, sane hack and something to go out and do some dressage on (probs Novice/Elem) and school.

SnowPhony

Visit site
Has he proved himself fit for purpose right now? If yes I wouldn't bother with a vetting. He could injure himself in the field tomorrow and fail a vetting after that.

Also would the owner let you keep loaning him for 18 months -2 years and then you sell him on for her? If so why not just do that? Saves on the expense of buying him. You could save the money you'd be spending on buying him for a horse you want to keep for say 6 years instead of 2.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
There is no problem at all with planning ahead, it's the way your post came across, as in that he would be discarded like an old sock. That might not be what you meant, but I'm not the only one who read it that way and was most hit by it.

Well that is not how I meant it, so sorry if it came across that way.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Has he proved himself fit for purpose right now? If yes I wouldn't bother with a vetting. He could injure himself in the field tomorrow and fail a vetting after that.

Also would the owner let you keep loaning him for 18 months -2 years and then you sell him on for her? If so why not just do that? Saves on the expense of buying him. You could save the money you'd be spending on buying him for a horse you want to keep for say 6 years instead of 2.

Yes- I am no expert, but I'd say he has more than proved himself fit for purpose. I DO want some piece of mind though, I think, espeically as it's not my money but my dad's.

I'm not sure, she is going through a divorce and is struggling massively financially, she needs the money and also the piece of mind that I am not going to give him back as she has told me she can't have him back/doesn't want him back.

SnowPhony

Visit site
Hmm sounds like she may need the money now then and it might be worth buying him. What would you plan to sell him on as? Like I say if he is working well and has no problems now doing what you are doing then I wouldn't bother vetting him. Again he could pass a vetting today and get injured tomorrow meaning he could never be ridden again, or come down with an illness. If selling isn't in your immediate plans I personally feel it would be uneccassary expense.

But then maybe I'm just tight! :)

imr

Visit site
I would do a 5 stage. You want to know if there is anything latent that might come to be a problem, and you also want to be sure if you do sell that you are not selling one who won't pass. It can happen over time, but what I mean is if it won't pass now it won't pass in a couple of years and then you will be stuck. I know its money, but its money which could save you money in the end.

Tiasmum

Visit site
Thank you :)

I think, for my own peace of mind I will have a 2 stage and ask them to just make sure his respiratory system is all okay.

Well, he's 12 now and I personally would not sell a horse any older than 14, 15 at a push so IF I do put him up for sale, THAT is why it would be 18 months- 2 years time. He is a really lovely boy and I am sure that at 14 he would still have many, many years and would make someone a great hack/low level dressage horse. I would only sell him to a 5* home, he would be perfect (even now) for an older lady who doesn't want to whiz around at 90mph everywhere and just wants a nice, sane hack and something to go out and do some dressage on (probs Novice/Elem) and school.

Hey he'd be sold to someone the owner knows already, by the sounds of it he'll be looked after very very well, brought on, schooled, improved and sold in a couple of years. The owner knows this. Not perfect ie home for life but nothing wrong with planning ahead and being honest. Worse things can happen!