Today I did something crazy - even by my standards

Queenbee

Visit site
After months out of the saddle I started riding ben three days ago, he was super charged the first day - could get no sense out of him in the school as he took offence at the changes in the sandschool, he was like a coiled spring so yesterday I decided to take him for a hack round the 'mini marne' a 15-20 min circuit without a bit, never done this before and only ridden without a bit once in the school. To set the scene, Ben is the strongest horse I have ever ridden and evasive, he will chuck his head right up and hollow when he wants to canter on a bridleway or when he sees a jump. You can stop him, he will canter on the spot and jump around in excitement - never any malice but he's no walk in the park and with the strength, the enthusiasm and evasive tactics combined it gives your shoulders and back a damned good work out :/

The mini marne was ok, the general snorting at shadows you would expect from a horse that hasn't been out in months, and a fair bit of jogging or trying to jog on the homeward journey, however every time he tried, he was turned in a circle and then made to stand then walk on - he soon got the message. he still tried his giraffe impression and my hands found themselves up by my ears a few times. When we got back we went in the school there was a spook at the haylage bales but after that he started to settle back to his normal self.

Today I decided that there was just too much fizz in this pop, despite a bare winter paddock and a diet of hay/haylage only throughout the winter! So I made a plan to go out on the marne, a 30-40 min hack with a decent straight stretch of road that we could trot the demons away on. The marne contains ben's favourite canter path so this would also be a test of exactly how much control and communication I had with him as we would not be cantering. Well, he still snorted all the way round lol but was totally responsive, a couple of moments on the home journey requiring a circle to remind him not to jog but all in all a very positive ride, still a bit evasive at times but better I think. When I got back I decided to walk round the school, his reaction was brilliant, no reaction to the disappearing hedge at the bottom of the school or the appearing random hay bales at the side - demon's banished, all back to normal in the school. Now any normal and sane person would have called it a day, but there were three little jumps up - two straight bars on the long sides and a cross pole on the diagonal, very tiny he could walk over them so nothing that would strain him, I was curious to see just what would happen in a mild micklem side pull bitless bridle considering how beastly strong he is... I did a couple of 20 m circles, one in walk, one in trot then ran a fig of eight then back over a straight so 4 in a row.

My bits are going in the bin. He was still strong, but I don't mind strong and forward, what is difficult is the hollow giraffe, it makes steering and controlling from the seat nearly impossible and turns the rider into a pretzle then you end up blocking with your hands whilst you try to gain control but without the bit he opened up I was able to do what I needed to, back him up sit and steer, his head was forward and stretching not trying to headbutt me with his poll whilst bunny hopping to the jump. It really was amazing.

There is a lot of work to do, a long way to go, but I am so heartened by today he is a horse who loves his work but his most favourite thing is jumping, to know it won't be a battle for either of us is fab. I doubt we will stay in a micklem bitless, Im not sure I trust the rein attachments long term and will perhaps want something a bit more for competing but its given me belief that this is the right thing to do for Ben.

I'm making use of the good weather and plan to go out tomorrow, will try to take some pics. :)

little_critter

Visit site
Well done. I do believe when you have a training problem, sometimes it’s worth trying something totally different.
Bitless with a strong and evasive horse is a brave decision, but clearly one he is thanking you for.
Good luck, I’m sure others can recommend alternative bitless bridles.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sounds fantastic! What a positive way forward to find with controlling his jumping style-e :D

I love showjumping bitless. On at least 50% of horses I prefer it to jumping bitted, though in a hackamore rather than a micklem. I'll have to try my micklem bitless now just to see what it's like

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I wouldn't throw the bits away just yet....what appears to work once may not continue to do so when he figures it all out; just sayin'......

Antw23uk

Visit site
He's been out of work for months and by day three of riding your trotting him down roads and riding for 30-40 minutes? Or have I missed something?

Hats off to you for going bitless. I will hack my gelding out in a headcollar but my mare who sounds like your boy I wouldnt dare, lol You are braver than me :)

Queenbee

Visit site
Well done. I do believe when you have a training problem, sometimes it’s worth trying something totally different.
Bitless with a strong and evasive horse is a brave decision, but clearly one he is thanking you for.
Good luck, I’m sure others can recommend alternative bitless bridles.

Thank you, it certainly was a bold move, one of the things that made me feel it would be doable was that because he was so strong I had worked with him a lot on voice aids, its something I tend to use a lot with him. So I knew that even without a bit there would be a familiar aid he responds well too.

Queenbee

Visit site
Sounds fantastic! What a positive way forward to find with controlling his jumping style-e :D

I love showjumping bitless. On at least 50% of horses I prefer it to jumping bitted, though in a hackamore rather than a micklem. I'll have to try my micklem bitless now just to see what it's like

Thank you! Yes really positive, I was so pleased with how he felt over the jumps it was exhilarating to ride him completely opened up like that. I think someone on HHO recommended an orbitless bridle which is probably what I will opt for in the long term, I certainly intend to trial it especially for jumping. I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel jumping in a hackamore - that is nothing against the bit or those who jump in it, I'm just not sure that it would be the right option for ben. :)

Queenbee

Visit site
I wouldn't throw the bits away just yet....what appears to work once may not continue to do so when he figures it all out; just sayin'......

Lol, believe me I hear you! Whilst I am very encouraged with this revelation, I'm just taking each day as it comes, I have ridden too many horses that get wise with time and whilst I won't get rid of the bits really - they will be put in a box in a dark corner of the tack room most likely, I do feel that this is a very positive step and handled correctly ben should continue to adjust well to it. Time will tell of course - nothing is ever set in stone and I am always one who is willing to eat my words.

Queenbee

Visit site
He's been out of work for months and by day three of riding your trotting him down roads and riding for 30-40 minutes? Or have I missed something?

Hats off to you for going bitless. I will hack my gelding out in a headcollar but my mare who sounds like your boy I wouldnt dare, lol You are braver than me :)

No, you have not missed anything. I completely get what you are angling at realistically the hack is probably 40 mins at its max if walked at a steady pace, on a fast hack - cantering the bridleway, trotting most of the rest in peak fitness - you are probably looking closer to 20 mins. Anyway, yes we did it in about 30 mins and yes we trotted out on the roads. We didn't trot the whole way, we didn't even trot half of the way, not even a third but yes we trotted.

To put this into perspective, ben is a young, healthy horse who keeps himself agile hooning around in his field and whilst there is a lot of difference between a horse running around in a field and being ridden, but on day two I had ridden the mini marne - 15 minute hack and no blowing, no elevated breath, no sweating but a lot of snorting and general tension with ben trying to jog and generally tense for the most part. It was because I know my horse and took all these issues into account that I decided to do the Marne which would give me the opportunity to trot him out on a straight flat piece of road to blow his cobwebs away and relax him, I had a choice - force a tense horse to walk and end up with a horse tense and joggy for the most part of the hack or trot for a part of it to enable him to get his head clear and focus and relax so we could walk on a buckle for the majority of the ride.

Using this approach is not something I would ever do lightly, nor is it my 'go-to' for fitness training lol, I do however firmly believe that for tense, somewhat excitable horses one must sometimes be prepared to step away from the norm in order to achieve the overall desired outcome. Rest assured, when we came back the little beast was still neither breathing heavy nor sweating in the slightest. :)

Interestingly my old mare ebony was a right live spark to ride and jump too although she was far more headstrong and diva-ish than he was and prone to arguing and not backing down whereas he will try it on but give in like a petulant child and hang his head lol. I recall I used to ride ebony in a loose ring snaffle most of the time and a 3 ring gag for jumping/hunting etc but on occasion I would take the pressure off completely, chuck a libby's scawbrig on her and off we would go, they do tend to appreciate it and surprise you. I'm not sure how brave I was, reckless possibly and crazy - my heart was in my mouth especially when I set foot on the bridleway the first time, but I was so proud of him and am so glad I took the plunge. Whilst he is still strong, he is no harder to handle that's for sure, probably easier but the best part is knowing that I am not battling with his mouth it a great weight off my mind.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Wasnt taking a pop OP just curious. Im just about to bring mine back into work from winter holidays and im probably way too precious about how slowly I build up the work BUT my mare will probably put me in a similar position as you where she just needs to go and get on with it for her sanity and my safety to get it out of her system, lol!

Queenbee

Visit site
Wasnt taking a pop OP just curious. Im just about to bring mine back into work from winter holidays and im probably way too precious about how slowly I build up the work BUT my mare will probably put me in a similar position as you where she just needs to go and get on with it for her sanity and my safety to get it out of her system, lol!

No I know, I completely get where you are coming from. I spent a long time battling with ebony, trying to do things conventionally and ending up with a horse that just got hotter and hotter and more frustrated. I got someone in to give me a lesson on her, what was so refreshing was this instructor straight away said tell me about your horse, she advised me on what was best for Ebony the horse rather than horses in general, for Eb's hacks weren't the issue, schools were where she got most tense so for her we would start our session with a trot then once she relaxed we would come back to walk and actually start our schooling.

For me, its all about what that particular horse needs to get its head where you need it to be lol, you sound like you know your two well, my opinion is its much safer for all involved and infinitely more productive that the rider control the pressure valve release and not the horse ;). I know a lot of people would suggest for someone to lunge their horse to de-fizz it, its certainly something I would not rule out if it suited the horse however ben isn't a fan of lunging and would just act the loon and bronch and canter his beans out - something I find far more risky for him. Personally I prefer to have the horse under the saddle and be in control of the pace. If your mare is similar the I say don't be guided by convention be guided by her and your instinct for what is right for her :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm intrigued - what the devil is a "marne"?

I've seen a few people getting on well with the orbitless bridles at the moment - probably worth a try. I have a boring old side pull I use sometimes, but I'm pretty allergic to contact, so it doesn't make much odds to me.

Glad he's happy with his lot anyway!

Queenbee

Visit site
Honestly? I have no idea, Marne is just the local name of the bridleway which is essentially a triangle the sides consisting of road, bridleway and road, the mini marne is essentially a smaller version of this using a little bridleway up connecting the same roads. There is a farm on the bridleway called the Marne if you google Marne Charolais this is where they were bred. I've just done a bit of a search on Cornish names/words etc, can't find Marne although Marner means seaman or sailor, and Mar means horse, as for Marne though, I haven't the foggiest.

I hate having a strong contact, over time I think its just crept up on me because he can battle so darn much, I hate the idea of hurting his mouth regardless of the fact that he doesn't give a toss about my shoulders or back! So to have this as a viable option means so much, I always try to ride as much from my seat and voice with him as possible but the seat thing is hard when they hollow - this set up will force me to use it more and more. I am leaning towards getting a libby's scawbrig for daily hacking etc - love the idea of something I can bung in the wash and an orbitless for schooling, jumping and competing I think. Stay tuned, this could get interesting lol :)