Today I will mostly be wondering why I have greyhounds.....

{97702}

Visit site
After Flick - AKA Tiny Clanger - managed to wrack up my highest ever vets bill for a dental..... £556!!!! And that was only having 7 teeth out......

Only joking of course, I was absolutely petrified about her going in as she is 12 years old and was detected with a heart murmur today for the first time, but she has been looked after fabulously and has bounced through the anaesthetic better than Millie (aged 2) did a couple of weeks ago when she had to be stitched up!

They do love to worry us don't they..... and after I get paid at the beginning of March then Amy lurcher (aged 11, hopefully no heart murmur!) will go in to have hers done :eek: Thank heavens for lovely vets who allow installments, I am very grateful.

With great relief..... and yes, I cried when I got the call to say she had come through it all OK...... the expensive one:

51059137_10157769032459587_5395652918726623232_n.jpg

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
glad she is ok. my small black lurcher had teeth out when she was 14 as she had stopped eating and she also had a heart murmur.....i said goodbye to her before the op as if i wouldnt see her again and was over the moon when she came out of the GA. vet said her heart was really strong. she started eating straight away but stopped again a week later and vet couldnt find out why so i made that horrible decision....
this was her aged about 2, she was the size of a whippet but as easy to train as her dad a border collie..P1010589.JPG

{97702}

Visit site
Oh splashgirl I nearly liked your post but it seemed wrong - she was beautiful :) I will admit I refused pre-anaesthetic bloods, I said to the vet nurse that at 12 I would expect Flick's liver and kidneys wouldn't be at 100% :( My experiences with Hoover taught me that all the scans and tests in the world don't necessarily mean anything will change, and I have a certain fatalistic approach to greyhounds over 12 now - once they start dropping weight excessively, then that is usually a sign :( :(

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thankyou, yes she was beautiful both in looks and behaviour. she was such an easy dog to have around and although she would chase wildlife she wasnt as prey driven as my other lurchers and she never went missing for more than 5 mins.....she was always very fond of her food and when she stopped eating i knew it was a bad sign and hoped that it was her teeth but it was obviously something else and i wouldnt put her through any tests as she was over 14....

{97702}

Visit site
Flick stop putting your Mummy's blood pressure up! And look at that nice, short, smooth, easily groomable coat ((goes back to pile of hair and cries)).

Yeah but she hasn't pissed on another dog so she apparently isn't very comment worthy :p I do like my short coated hounds, even if the whole house is currently covered with black dog hair.... thanks Marty.... :D

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
My greyhound had to have 23 teeth removed at only aged 7! He has however recovered well and only sometimes loses his tongue out of the side of his mouth.

I really love his short black coat, I had forgotten the shepherd shedding which the 7 month monster really has mastered the art of, fortunately she has a short, if wirey coat.

leflynn

Visit site
Gorgeous naughty pup! My B&W likes to worry me too, although his biggest bill was for chemo 18 months ago (4.5k, part covered by vet insurance)

he's 12 too and needs his teeth doing but I am terrified and vet is a bit hesitant too (he is managing fine just his breath stinks and has a bit of plaque)

{97702}

Visit site
Leflynn I think if the vet is hesitant that says a lot, personally I’d hold off if you can! Unfortunately Flick’s teeth were really appalling and were clearly painful so they had to be done, it was one of those things where I had to weigh up that she was probably in a lot of pain versus risk, and obviously I couldn’t let her go on in pain ☹️

That’s an impressive vets bill! My biggest vets bill overall was £3.5k.... the greyhound wasn’t insured, none of mine are, but thankfully we had just re-mortgaged and had about £3k of cash.... nah, didn’t want to go on holiday really.... 😄😄

{97702}

Visit site
My greyhound had to have 23 teeth removed at only aged 7! He has however recovered well and only sometimes loses his tongue out of the side of his mouth.

Now that is a lot of teeth! Hoover had 18 out on the day he was re-homed to me (5 1/2 years old) and that really knocked him for six - he ended up with only 2 teeth left, and Islay had none at all for the last few years of her life after annual dental extractions for a number of years! Ah greyhounds and their dodgy teeth.....!!

{97702}

Visit site
Glad Flick is ok, they do like to scare us. How is the lovely Marty doing?

He is lovely 😊 he is settling in very well and is really playful now (although he still won’t play with Millie lurcher, much to her dismay!) I’ll add some pics when I’m on my laptop 😊

deb_l222

Visit site
On Wednesday I despaired of having springers - well, one in particular!!

Having a lovely chat with an estate agent Wednesday afternoon, dogs had been perfect but Willow and Rufus had started to get a bit boisterous while we were sat chatting. Popped Willow into the kitchen. She has learned a new trick this week; how to open the dog food cupboard door :oops:

Totally forgot and went back to chat to estate agent. Fifteen minutes later, went to retrieve her out of the kitchen. Yep, little madam was as happy as Larry with her head buried in a 12kg bag of Autarky salmon!! Belly like a sumo wrestler and wanting to head off to the water bowl.

Que, quick dash to vets just to make sure we didn't have bloat on the horizon. Nope, he was happy but no water, no exercise and keep quiet. Keep quiet, yep she will be quiet when I kill her!!

Lots of farting and burping later and having me up five times in the night with "mum I want to poo" paw on my head and all is now back to normal. Well, as normal as this daft thing will ever be :rolleyes:

p.s. Loving Flick's eyebrow and glad she's doing well. The oldies are VERY stressful but the best.

{97702}

Visit site
That made me smile Deb.... they really are challenging sometimes aren’t they 😄 I have to lock food away.... and the dustbin.... just in case!

texenstar

Visit site
I hope Flick is back to her normal self soon! All these stories of greyhounds needing teeth out is making me anxious... maybe I should start saving now!

It's always surprising how capable the older dogs are at bouncing back. My old collie got run over by a car (freak accident) at the age of 14 and we all thought it would be his time, however, it seemed to give him a new lease on life and he kept going in good health for another 2 years once he had recovered.

Parrotperson

Visit site
After Flick - AKA Tiny Clanger - managed to wrack up my highest ever vets bill for a dental..... £556!!!! And that was only having 7 teeth out......

Only joking of course, I was absolutely petrified about her going in as she is 12 years old and was detected with a heart murmur today for the first time, but she has been looked after fabulously and has bounced through the anaesthetic better than Millie (aged 2) did a couple of weeks ago when she had to be stitched up!

They do love to worry us don't they..... and after I get paid at the beginning of March then Amy lurcher (aged 11, hopefully no heart murmur!) will go in to have hers done :eek: Thank heavens for lovely vets who allow installments, I am very grateful.

With great relief..... and yes, I cried when I got the call to say she had come through it all OK...... the expensive one:

View attachment 29302

Parrotperson

Visit site
my little jrt is 16 had three teeth out last week because one had a lump wrapped round it and was pushing the other two teeth out. luckily the lump was benign. she too has a heart murmur. came round literally disco dancing little sod! hope yours is ok.

{97702}

Visit site
Parrotperson I liked your post because I am pleased that your little dog is ok, but yes I share your pain 😊 Flick is skipping around like a puppy now (I wish I’d had her teeth done months ago!) and is determined to eat her own bodyweight every day, which is lovely as she is a skinny ageing greyhound 😊😊

twiggy2

Visit site
Great news Lev. They do worry us at times don't they, I think they bring more to the table that they take though and am fairly sure you feel the same.
One of my old dogs (terrier cross) had his teeth done at 15, he had a tooth infection, options were operate or maintain on antibiotics, bloods came back good and her had a good 8 months or so.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
We decided to crate train our kitchen bins back in December. It means that our accidentally acquired pointy hound can sleep on the sofa at night and still have access to the kitchen for water without any risk of her rummaging. Picked up a guinea pig exercise pen from Amazon and used it to build a small pen for the bins - the joys of mandatory recycling coupled with fortnightly collections :rolleyes: - job done.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Parrotperson I liked your post because I am pleased that your little dog is ok, but yes I share your pain 😊 Flick is skipping around like a puppy now (I wish I’d had her teeth done months ago!) and is determined to eat her own bodyweight every day, which is lovely as she is a skinny ageing greyhound 😊😊

Parrotperson

Visit site
We decided to crate train our kitchen bins back in December. It means that our accidentally acquired pointy hound can sleep on the sofa at night and still have access to the kitchen for water without any risk of her rummaging. Picked up a guinea pig exercise pen from Amazon and used it to build a small pen for the bins - the joys of mandatory recycling coupled with fortnightly collections :rolleyes: - job done.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
how did your bins take to being crate trained? did they object? 😳😂

They seem happy enough! To be fair, I think the pointy hound has finally wrapped her head around the concept of having regular meals provided, so is less inclined to scavenge for food now anyhow. The latest vet bill for her was to cover treatment for infected hair follicles. At least she's a good patient.