Toddler saddles and hats...

Nudibranch

Visit site
From a purely safety first point of view, what saddle recommendations for a 2 year old? Admittedly he's nearly 3 but his gross motor skills are not yet as good as his fine motor, or his vocabulary, etc! I'm really not concerned about him developing the perfect seat - he may or may not get into riding - but I'm looking to be able to lead about a bit on a 13.2hh Fell, so something which will give him good security. So far we've used a cub but that's with Mr NB holding onto him. I'd like to be able to take him out solo and I do overthink when it comes to his wellbeing.

I'm considering either an Inky Dinky or a western. My only potential concern with a western would be fitting, especially on a native. Whereas the ID looks like it might not have any twist, so his little legs may end up rather uncomfortable. Thoughts?

Sadly, buying a mini is not an option!

Also - can anyone recommend a very lightweight hat which gives good coverage? He has a Uvex but it always seems a bit perched to be honest. I'm reluctant to use a regular skull since reading a post on here about a little girl who ended up with a fractured neck. Extra weight on big toddler heads is not a good idea...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have 2 little ones aged 2 and a half and nearly 4, who come and sit on my mini shetlands (one also sits on one of my fell ponies too)
I use felt saddles (known as Willis pads) they have a handle on them and proper stirrup bars, but the younger child doesnt really use the handle so mum puts a hand on childs knee to assist with balance. I have 3 felt saddles, one with a girth strap that fits on the Fell! Have a look at the Zoe Snape pads if you go down this route.

Smallest child wears a decent cycle helmet as she already had it as sits behind her dad on his bike at weekends.
Nearly 4 yr old, he wears a junior moto cross helmet, but is likely to be getting his 1st kids own skull shortly, so he can have a bright silk on it.

EventingMum

Visit site
There are quite a lot of lightweight hats available many of which are adjustable however very few are kitemarked, I've found the Uvex Onyx to be good plus it is kitemarked. We've used an Inky Dinky for tiny riders in our RDA group and all seemed comfortable in it but then the biggest pony was about 12hh.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
if he hasn't the gross motor skills to be secure without an additional person on the ground, it would be my strong advice not to use a saddle like an inky dinky just to hold him in. These saddles make my teeth itch, you need to be able to grab and whisk a wee toot like that away if there is a problem, not have them held in. Sick with a helper on the ground for now if he needs it.

Palindrome

Visit site
I really rate the Wintec cub saddle, my daughter started riding at 2 in it. It has a handle at the front, is quite deep and has a narrow twist so kid isn't doing the splits on a wide pony. It fit my pony well too even when she was too fat (I bought her too fat). I use it on a 11hh welshie shetland cross.
For helmet it's a Decathlon with a dial at the back.